PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dodge MPG?

MikeKle
01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram with 4WD and the hemi V8 this year, the MPG has been terrible, average about 7-8 all the time!! no change in towing or when empty?I figure it should be getting about 15 empty. It does have one bad oxy sensor but was told that only accounts for about 1 MPG. Anyone else having problems with their dodge MPG? or know what could be the problem? I always watch my tire pressure and it has a K@N intake and filter which I clean about once a week! i cannot figure what the problem is, but I really regret not getting an Isuzu like I wanted to originally!Thanks guys.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-11-2009, 01:07 AM
I bought a 2004 Dodge Ram with 4WD and the hemi V8 this year, the MPG has been terrible, average about 7-8 all the time!! no change in towing or when empty?I figure it should be getting about 15 empty. It does have one bad oxy sensor but was told that only accounts for about 1 MPG. Anyone else having problems with their dodge MPG? or know what could be the problem? I always watch my tire pressure and it has a K@N intake and filter which I clean about once a week! i cannot figure what the problem is, but I really regret not getting an Isuzu like I wanted to originally!Thanks guys.

How many miles? When's the last time you tuned it up, changed the plugs, wires, etc.?

TXNSLighting
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Is that city or highway?

WH401
01-11-2009, 10:55 AM
For what it's worth, I used to have an 04' Dodge 1500 2x4 w/ the 4.7 & 4.10's and could get no better than 13 no matter how I drove. I'm not a floorboader, but I'm not grandma either. The early hemi's are nice and powerful, but there thirsty. I would figure this mileage is city driving right?, because it definitely shouldn't be doing that bad on the highway. What gear ratio does it have in it?, 3.54's? That could be sucking a lot of your fuel with the extra power needed to accelerate on those big 20's, if you have them. Combine that with 4x4 and depending on your driving style, not trying to blame it on you. Do you do lots of stop and go? I'm not try to bash the truck because I loved mine, I just went diesel because I get 3 mpg better in a truck that is 4x4, weighs double as much, and has the aerodynamics of a fat lady:laugh:.

HenryB
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Everybody BS's themselves about mpg on their trucks. Makes them feel better. My F150 5.4 gets 8-12 mpg empty. Thats reality. The big three need some research and design hence the position they are in. Now the guys will tell you how their trucks get 20 mpg towiing a Case 580 and 25 mpg hwy.

TMlawncare
01-11-2009, 11:32 AM
My 99' chevy 4wd 1 ton gets 10mpg empty and 6 with loaded trailor. My 2007 Isuzu Npr diesel gets 11mpg with landscape body loaded. My 94 s10 4wd all purpose truck gets 16-17mpg empty.

CrystalCreek
01-11-2009, 11:52 AM

You clean the filter once a week??? I have an airraid and clean it about three times a year. The dirt helps the filter to filter better. Trust me, the filter is not causing your mileage to drop. The truck is heavy. The truck is 4X4. It wont get good mileage just by design. My old F150 was getting 6MPG. That was with a 351C and 4.11 with no overdrive. But I didnt care about MPG because it was a work truck. Get yourself a little economy car like I did. The $$$ you save in fuel will cover the car payments. Truck for work, car for everything else. This is the only good advise that I could think of. I know it is not what you wanted to here, but it is what it is.

Marek
01-11-2009, 12:12 PM
We have a 98 1500 extra cab with the 318 and 105k on it . Fresh tune up filters everything still around 10 mpg . I need to look at the front dif. as it feels like it is in 4x4 all the time. This is one of my boys trucks , as soon as he's out of school I'm going to help him get into something newer , he wants a diesel but I'm trying to push him towards a gasser. At one point we had a 95 2500 with a 360 that got 13-14 all day long in mixed driving but the rest of the truck feel apart so we unloaded it after 2 yrs.

MikeKle
01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
It does have the big 20' wheels and I have wondered about that causing some problems, I have an older 96 dodge, I wonder if the 15 or 16" wheels from it would fit on my 2004? then i would know if the 20's are to blame. it gets about 10 on the highway empty. The 4WD shouldnt matter when you are on the road because it is not engaged,if i am wrong about this please let me know, but the way I underrstand it when you are in 2 high it is not sending any power to the front axle so that wouldnt effect the MPG? Every dodge I have ever owned which is many have not been good on gas!Youre right, I do need to get a small vehicle to drive around in the off season, but I am so used to driving a full size, I have not driven a small vehicle in many years!

WH401
01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Unless the 1500's are different from the 2500/3500 HD's in terms of how the 4 wheel works, they most likely have auto locking hubs just like the HD's do. Starting with the 94's, they got rid of the manual locking hubs as it's easier to slap a auto locker on on the assembly line, it's more money to be replaced, makes front end parts wear out faster, and Dodge can advertise "shift on the fly 4 wheel". How it work's, at least how it does on the 03 and up HD's, is the whole front drive train is locked to the front wheel's in 2 wheel while going down the road, but just shifting to 2 wheel on the stick only unlocks it at the transfer case. So as your going down the road, the whole front drive train is turning and the engine is always having to push and turn that as well.

genesis215
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
It's pretty sad hearing about Dodge fuel mileage. I would get a Chevy with the Vortec V8 because you can get 20 mpg from them unloaded, and the transmissions are are a hundred times better. The transmissions on the Dodges are junk; they don't last beyond 175K miles even with good care, and alot less than that when used for plowing and towing. I owned a '94 Ford with a 5.8L V8, and it got 17.5 MPG towing 3500 lbs. Now I'm not saying you will get that. But if you drive like a grandma you will. You must be pressing the pedal to the floor to be getting that bad of mileage. Not a good habit when gas consumption makes such a big difference in your profits.

MikeKle
01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I actually drive like a grandma now, i had enough of getting tickets when I was younger when I was quite the speedracer! I agree about the dodge trannys, that was just one of the reasons I wanted to get an Isuzu, but the deal I got on this dodge was too good to pass up.But this will definitely be my last dodge, I am getting a isuzu next time no matter what!Maybe by that time Isuzu will offer the 4WD version of the NPR.

Marek
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
175,000 miles out of an auto trans would be a dream in anyones book.

Panhead
01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
. I owned a '94 Ford with a 5.8L V8, and it got 17.5 MPG towing 3500 lbs. Now I'm not saying you will get that. But if you drive like a grandma you will.

I sorta drive like grandma and can't even get that close on my Ford with a 351W and with a full tune up! Even with towing. :confused:

HenryB
01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I sorta drive like grandma and can't even get that close on my Ford with a 351W and with a full tune up! Even with towing. :confused:

Me neither. Not even close. Although it could be my driving I was ticketed doing 40 in 65 mph zone. True story and still the bad mileage.

Panhead
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
The closest I got with my Ford was 11 city, and 14 highway doing 60mph steady. Dont forget, older Fords, like mine, are like bricks. They are not aero dynamic.

GravelyGuy
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Try putting the stock filter back on and see if it changes at all.

Panhead
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Some say stock air filter is better than K&N. I found out K&N to be better and in my Dakota.

nosparkplugs
01-12-2009, 11:26 PM

The Hemi is a gas guzzler towing the 7-8MPG towing is about right. You should be getting more MPG empty though.Do you have aftermarket tires & rims?

MY 1996 Dodge 2500 gasburner V8 magnum was catching 7-8MPG towing, and about 13-15 MPG empty

WHY are you cleaning your K&N cleaner once a week:hammerhead: that could be the problem right there.

One of the problems with wet oil gauze filters like the K&N is if you clean them to often your always getting that clean oil inside the intake, and coating the intake, and MAP/MAF sensors. your ECU is running the engine rich, and your clogging the O2 sensor.

The K&N filter is good for 100,000 miles before cleaning, it actually works better with some dirty. STOP CLEANING IT SO "F"N MUCH:hammerhead: you doing more harm than good

I have an S&B cold air intake, and my filter looks trashed at 79,000miles of use, but my Silicon(dirt) in oil number is low <7, so it's still filtering excellent. Point is just cause the filter looks dirty does not equal a restricted or dirty airflow.

TXNSLighting
01-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Trash the K&N, They are worthless..

MudFlapLip
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
My 06 Ram gets about 13 mpg. If I drive like a granny, I'll get 17. I normally drive like a fecking a-hole, so I'm consistently at 12-13. Hauling, its a steady 10. I have a cold air intake but I don't think it really helped my mpg at all. I also have a chip, exhaust, and lim. slip as well and I really cant take my foot out of it cause it's sickly fast. I'm probably gonna get some pacesetter long tube headers for it here in the near future too. Bottom Line: I didn't' buy it for MPG anyways, I knew what it was gonna get. I guess if I wanted better mpg's, I should have gotten a moped :laugh:

nosparkplugs
01-13-2009, 12:40 AM
My 06 Ram gets about 13 mpg. If I drive like a granny, I'll get 17. I normally drive like a fecking a-hole, so I'm consistently at 12-13. Hauling, its a steady 10. I have a cold air intake but I don't think it really helped my mpg at all. I also have a chip, exhaust, and lim. slip as well and I really cant take my foot out of it cause it's sickly fast. I'm probably gonna get some pacesetter long tube headers for it here in the near future too. Bottom Line: I didn't' buy it for MPG anyways, I knew what it was gonna get. I guess if I wanted better mpg's, I should have gotten a moped :laugh:

Oh yah:laugh: well my Cummins can suck the paint off your 1500 while hauling a trailer up hill. while still getting 15 mpg towing

Exhaust who needs that:confused: 5" straight pipe here setting off car alarms where ever I rome:clapping:

MudFlapLip
01-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Oh yah:laugh: well my Cummins can suck the paint off your 1500 while hauling a trailer up hill. while still getting 15 mpg towing

Exhaust who needs that:confused: 5" straight pipe here setting off car alarms where ever I rome:clapping:

Yeah diesels are a completely different animal man! That's like comparing apples and oranges. You could easily pull and extra 130-150hp out of a chip with diesels and they are TRULY sick. For a gas motor that's the mpg I get, but I like it. When I cam and supercharge mine, we'll talk about buying you some new paint for yours. :laugh: I have to say, my exhaust sounds sweet though.

Yard.Barber
01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
2007 5.7L, hemi here not 4WD and I get around 10-13 highway,, with all the traffic around here it eats up the gas. Now when I drive to Mass. every year for a vacation I get almost 400 miles a tank.

Milwaukee
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
It's pretty sad hearing about Dodge fuel mileage. I would get a Chevy with the Vortec V8 because you can get 20 mpg from them unloaded, and the transmissions are are a hundred times better. The transmissions on the Dodges are junk; they don't last beyond 175K miles even with good care, and alot less than that when used for plowing and towing. I owned a '94 Ford with a 5.8L V8, and it got 17.5 MPG towing 3500 lbs. Now I'm not saying you will get that. But if you drive like a grandma you will. You must be pressing the pedal to the floor to be getting that bad of mileage. Not a good habit when gas consumption makes such a big difference in your profits.

That is impossible I drive really slow than you think I do. Can you tell what kind truck is and gear in axle?

My 95 f250 351W 4.10 4wd I get 9.53 mpg but 96 E350 passenger van 351W 3.55 I get 16.5 mpg with 15 people on board.

Milwaukee
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Everybody BS's themselves about mpg on their trucks. Makes them feel better. My F150 5.4 gets 8-12 mpg empty. Thats reality. The big three need some research and design hence the position they are in. Now the guys will tell you how their trucks get 20 mpg towiing a Case 580 and 25 mpg hwy.

BS

You could get 15 to 23 if you not floor on gas. 07 Lincoln Mark LT 4wd with 3.73. I get 18-23 mpg on highway. That were 63 mph with cruise control.

I think it just how you drive. I am sure you drive like stolen and slam brake hard. That how you got 8-12 mpg.

topsites
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
The transmissions on the Dodges are junk; they don't last beyond 175K miles even with good care.

You'll have to describe what you consider good care because to my understanding most folks
never change the trans fluid and filter, and that's supposed to be done every 10,000 miles.

It's a wonder the engine oil ever gets changed in most vehicles, but transmission fluid and filter only gets
touched if there's some dire emergency reason for it like the car's in the shop due to transmission trouble...
That's not to say folks don't check the dipstick, I'm sure they look at it, maybe even sniff it and decide it
doesn't smell burnt even thou they have no fresh fluid to compare it to.

Then they complain when it suddenly craps out after however many hundreds of thousands of miles,
even thou they never did a thing to it other than maybe they drove it 'nice.'

Now I won't argue too much as mine only has 135-140k on it, but I do change the trans fluid and filter every 3rd oil change.

TXNSLighting
01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
BS

You could get 15 to 23 if you not floor on gas. 07 Lincoln Mark LT 4wd with 3.73. I get 18-23 mpg on highway. That were 63 mph with cruise control.

I think it just how you drive. I am sure you drive like stolen and slam brake hard. That how you got 8-12 mpg.

I wish people would learn how to form a sentence..Do you talk like that??

TXNSLighting
01-26-2010, 11:42 PM
You'll have to describe what you consider good care because to my understanding most folks
never change the trans fluid and filter, and that's supposed to be done every 10,000 miles.

It's a wonder the engine oil ever gets changed in most vehicles, but transmission fluid and filter only gets
touched if there's some dire emergency reason for it like the car's in the shop due to transmission trouble...
That's not to say folks don't check the dipstick, I'm sure they look at it, maybe even sniff it and decide it
doesn't smell burnt even thou they have no fresh fluid to compare it to.

Then they complain when it suddenly craps out after however many hundreds of thousands of miles,
even thou they never did a thing to it other than maybe they drove it 'nice.'

Now I won't argue too much as mine only has 135-140k on it, but I do change the trans fluid and filter every 3rd oil change.

No tranny fluid is recommended every 30k miles..

Milwaukee
01-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I wish people would learn how to form a sentence..Do you talk like that??

You forgot 1 thing. Check my signature you will see.