PDA

View Full Version : Battery terminal corrosion problem

CrystalCreek
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
My Ford 350 diesel has a big time problem with battery corrsion on the terminals. I have tried the corrison preventive spray, WD40, Fluid flim, Dielectric Grease. Nothing stops it. Batteries are original and in great shape. The wire connectors that go on the terminal are starting to degrade. I need to know if there is a way to stop this. I need to replace the connectors, but I dont want to throw good money after bad. Please help. The batteries are the maintenance type, and I check them monthly. They are not overfilled either. I need to clean my terminals about once a month. I also tried those stupid washer things. Please help. Thanks guys.

wellbuilt
01-11-2009, 12:49 PM
If your terminals need to be cleaned every month you need to change the cables and check all your grounds . You should not have to hang out under the hood . I check mine at oil changes (every year) and have never had to clean them . John

seabee1
01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
if you are having to clean you terminals one a month and none of the product mentioned work ! you have a problem !is the truck over charging causing it to vent to much acid gas from the battery's ? are you having to replace the acid often ? here are some different cleaning product's . http://store.caig.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a0016431f43df2f2f305d0343b8a638b5b37e641f84.e3eSc3eMbxuPe34Pa38Ta38Mahz0?sc=2&category=188 de oxit

CrystalCreek
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Did a complete electrical test of the entire system. All grounds were taken off and cleaned. The altinator is putting out exactly the proper amount of power. I had the system checked by two different mechanics. Both told me it is a common problem to Fords. The batteries almost never need to be toped of with fluids. I think the last time I had to add was over two years ago.