PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea....

southtx
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I was thinking about selling my 5x10 trailer and getting a ford ranger to work out of. What are some good and bad points when it comes down to working out of a truck. This is my idea.....Sell the trailer buy a used truck....I have a f250 and another 16 foot trailer that I use for big jobs. My idea was to use the ranger with this in the back
32" wb
21"wb
2 t270 shindaiwa trimmers
1 redmax ebz7001
racks for all the hand tools
gas cans and other items.

I have a ramp idea that I am going to look at so I can load and go faster. I like the 5x10 but I hate driving my ford all the time and I don't have room for 2 truck and a trailer at home. This ranger would be my main work truck for the lawns and running around. So with that in mind that would allow me to place my logo on the truck and advertise more. The lawns that I am looking at are small cookie cutter lawns and dont need anything big then a 32". So with that in mind I would also sell a 48" and other tools that I dont need. I guess what Im trying to do is cut back and be more tight with my work. With the way things are getting I need to cut back on certain items and push harder on others. I know that Im all over the place but what do yall think. Also the big kicker is I moved to another side of my city and all my lawns are there were I left so I hope the ranger will help with travel time. Until I start working in this new side of town. So what do yall think????

STIHL GUY
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
its gonna be crowded in the back of the ranger with all that stuff. there is also nowhere to put grass clippings leaves or debris

southtx
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks, but I mulch all my yards and if needed bag and leave by the trash cans.

mowerbrad
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I have seen this setup before and it has worked for many. The ones that I have seen though had a custom made bed that replaced the standard bed on the ranger. It was kind of like a mini trailer on the truck. I think if you used the standard bed you would have to choose between carrying the 32" or the 21", but I doubt you could carry both without it being too cluttered. But if you got the custom landscape bed on the back, you would be fine carrying both. But if you use the standard bed make sure you get the actually ramp that folds down like on trailers and not those double ramps you can buy at sears.

genesis215
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Putting a landscaping flatbed on it with railings would work well for maximizing the amount of space you have on it. I think a Ranger is a great idea. Go with the 4-cylinder and a 5-speed manual and you will get remarkable fuel mileage, and it will be highly reliable and a long-lasting powertrain too. If you want power, then go with the 3.0L V6. It's simply the best american V6 ever made, and will run for 400K miles if you keep the oil changed; not exaggerating.

Puddle of Oil
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
i dont think you'll like. ive got a ranger and i couldn't picture putting my 36 in the bed, along with other tools. the bed is way to small for everything your gonna put in it, trust me its not as big as u may think it is. if you want to haul things on a truck, get a full size not a light duty! my trimmer wont even fit in the bed! id just keep the trailer.

Puddle of Oil
01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
If you want power, then go with the 3.0L V6. It's simply the best american V6 ever made, and will run for 400K miles if you keep the oil changed; not exaggerating.

If u want power go with at least a 4.3, now that has power. ive got a 3 in mine, and yes its a great engine(after it blew up, soon replaced with another) but its a slow start!

bighaydenslawn
01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh yes it should work fine with a little creative thinking. I worked with my aunt and uncle some this summer; they have about 50 cookie-cutter residential accounts in the nearest big city from where I live. They are great people. My uncle is battling cancer and we are all praying for him. Anyway, they drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0 V6 and in the bed they fit (3) 21" LawnBoys, homemade ramps for the mowers, a trimmer, a blower and fuel cans & tools. All works out great. Best of luck to you!

Valk
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
My Quickie 32 and a Toro 21 (sideways) fit in the back of my '00 Frontier. Though I leave the 21 at home permanently - as the Q32 mows everything.

Woody82986
01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
There are several hispanic companies in this area that run 2 21" mowers with the same type of set up you are talking about. 2 guys hop out and help eachother get a mower out of the bed, one mows, one trims, and they both grab a handheld blower to finish it off. There are a couple different outfits that I really enjoy watching work like this. They are quick and they do great work. This set up seems to work really well for them. I'm not so sure about having a 21" and a 32" in the back though.

flascaper
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
When I read this I admit I started to laugh and just think about it if I were to try and do it. I mean I got a ford ranger and thats it man and I need to ramp up my 44" gravely onto this small bed I mean how wide of a truck is that? Its a ford ranger with a 4 cylinder engine. But I thought back and remember having nothing but a chevy s-15 with a 4 banger in it. But eventualy still needed the trailer to haul plants and tools soo It sounds almost impossible to do it. I did blow a piston rod or two on that truck after I got the trailer and one too many yards of top soil. You will need more space there is no way it can be done. Thats all I have to say about that.:drinkup:

IdealLawnCare
01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Buy the Ranger and keep the 5 x 10 and pull it with the ranger, you will have all kinds of room.

JohnnyCuts
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Your idea will work exactly as you explained it. I did it all last year with my wife and I able to do 30ish lawns in 9 hours with one Q36, one trimmer, one blower, two cas cans. I used a false floor ramp system that worked great. What's your ramp idea?

Puddle of Oil
01-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Your idea will work exactly as you explained it. I did it all last year with my wife and I able to do 30ish lawns in 9 hours with one Q36, one trimmer, one blower, two cas cans. I used a false floor ramp system that worked great. What's your ramp idea?

I can barely fit my 21'' a blower and a trimmer in the bed! how can u put a 36 in along with the other tools?:confused::confused::confused:

Valk
01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
A Quick 36 is less than 5' long at 59" overall...and even less than that from the casters to the back of the frame/rear tires (not counting the handle bars)...leaving ample room for a 21.

My Q32 is 6" longer than a Q36 & it leaves me ~3" to spare when I load a 21 in sideways behind it. My '00 Frontier's bed is ~74" long.

shepoutside
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I've posted pic before, of a ranger with a 36, & a 21 in the bed...........

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219128

Check it out, works great !!!!

rfed32
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
i dont know if the wb and 21 will fit...i had a problem gettin both in when i had a s10...you should look for a ranger with a 7foot bed unless you build something for it....

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I've posted pic before, of a ranger with a 36, & a 21 in the bed...........

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=219128

Check it out, works great !!!!

Will you post pics of all your rangers? I want to see your setups. This is a great idea.

nt1
01-17-2009, 11:02 AM
What you described with the ranger would probably work although it would be a tight fit.

Another idea would be to go with a longbed half ton. An f150 measures 8' x 5' or 10' x 5' with the tailgate down. You could build up the sides for more vertical storage increasing the total volume and giving you more room for ladders, hedge trimmers, storage cage, racks, blowers , or whatever.

Also, if the f250 is tied up with maintenance or repairs you would have a back up truck to pull the 16' trailer.