PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get started

uniquechev
01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I've been in business for about 3 yrs now and ya the maintenance is fun easy but i have a couple of big plantings to do this spring and my customers had mentioned a small water fall into a little pond. I kind of steered them away from the idea because i have no clue about the components on ponds or the fall or the circulation of the water etc.... and i would like to learn about it all !!! anyone have a run down on how it all needs to be done ? Im not sure i want to put my neck on the line like that just yet. but then again i dont know unless i try i suppose .... Could use some guidance . Thanks

Venturewest
01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
If you have never built a water feature or attended classes or pond builds I believe it would be unfair to experiment at a customers home. You should either get some good training first or build one at your house first.

That being said, there are tons of threads on this forum about getting started. Here is one someone just posted that has been answered.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=257603

If I was you, I would hire another contractor who is known to be an excellent pond builder. Work along side them as they work for your client. Your client will get a quality product and you will gain valuable knowledge.

There are way too many stupid looking, poor functioning ponds and waterfalls in the world.

tadpole
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I completely agree with Venturewest. I constructed 4 ponds on my own property before i started marketing my services. Have been installing and maintaining Water Feature for over 10 years and I am STILL learning.
I especially agree with Venturewest's last sentence. In order to construct a Water Feature correctly in ALL respects, you need to be a Craftsman, not just a Contractor. There is too few of the former and too many of the latter building Water Features.

Which do you want to be?

uniquechev
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
YAAA you guys are prob right .... still being a new company, it would suck to do a shitty product !!! I'll have to look into the classes to learn how to do it.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Get a how to build a pond dvd from Aquascape than try to find a build a pond day through them or another manufacturer. Look at many many ponds on the net and build one in your yard for practice. If you build one for a customer build it like your installing it for your Mom, but be careful and make sure you have the ability to build one. If you use Aquascape products your first build should be pretty simple since they help take most of the guess work out with thier kits.

uniquechev
01-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you for all of your advice guys and now reading up more about all the different kinds of water features and the proper way to do it all , i really think that i am going to hold off and try to build one at my shop first and see how that goes before i build one for a customer and just contract out if my clients want one till i can take classes or see one build first hand. Thanks again guys you've helped a lot !