PDA

View Full Version : complete yard overhaul in Florida

jnrogers
01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Guys I have a friend that is moving to Florida(cocoa beach area) and the house she is looking at has a jungle for a back yard. There is also a big sattelite dish back there. How much would it cost in Florida to remove the sattelite dish, cut down all the brush, and resow it in grass? She also wanted a couple of small fruit trees and a very very small garden. I have included pics of this yard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ICT Bill
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
If she wants turf in that sand think compost and lots of it. The things that are currently growing can handle the sandy soil, that is why they are flourishing. turf on the other hand will need the water to stick around for a longer period, lots of compost

It will be great for the veggie garden too

Try to move to Bahia or paspallum grass as well, they need less water and can tolerate salt better, also less NPK needs than burmuda or st augustine

Looks like a fun project, I'll bet some folks in WI or MI would be willing to come down and help for free board, its cold up there

White Gardens
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
I would be hesitant to rip everything out completely. Might be cheaper in the end too.

Hidden in there might be some unusual and interesting plants in there, and at that size, they would cost a pretty penny new.

I also agree that grass will be very hard to grow, and if I had that much sand in my back yard, I would strip out about 6-10 inches of it and add black dirt, and then lightly till.

What's the square footage, and dimensions of the back yard ??

Also, if your friend is creative, then you might find a local artist to turn the dish into a modern art piece for a focal point.

And at the cheapest, find a local salvage/ Recycler to come in and take the satellite out for free, and let them keep the scrap. We've got plenty of retired guys around here that do it just to get out of the house.:hammerhead:

White Gardens
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Looks like a fun project, I'll bet some folks in WI or MI would be willing to come down and help for free board, its cold up there

I hear ya screamin, It's not as bad here, but we'll be hitting -12* Thurs night.

I'd love to be on a beach right now.

treegal1
02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
ok so close to my area, the purple plant although its a native , needs to go asap, tear out and sod for a 3500 foot yard with compost and a small garden about 3500-4500. fruit trees, what citrus or???? skip it and add some cold hardy palms and native hard woods, more bang for the$$$

bill I can see the look an some of the northern guys faces with the 60 lb slices of sod, that was funny....

oh also I am at the beach now......

paradise32258
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
nice and warm in florida today abut 75 here in jax

fl-landscapes
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=White Gardens;2697747]I would be hesitant to rip everything out completely. Might be cheaper in the end too.

Hidden in there might be some unusual and interesting plants in there, and at that size, they would cost a pretty penny new.

I also agree that grass will be very hard to grow, and if I had that much sand in my back yard, I would strip out about 6-10 inches of it and add black dirt, and then lightly till.

What's the square footage, and dimensions of the back yard ??

Also, if your friend is creative, then you might find a local artist to turn the dish into a modern art piece for a focal point.

guys this is florida! Our soil is SAND thats what the plants like here thats what they grow in. Dont waste your time or money trying to make black soil like the northern guys suggest. The plants are addapted to the soil conditions that are native.....SANDY SOIL. Adding to much compost will cause drainage problems and root rot. The weather conditions will turn it into sand real quick anyway. I'm not saying a little compost won't help but that sand is what we grow our grass in. BUT do a soil sample and find out what your pH is and see what nutrient difficiences there are if any. Call your local extension office if you need any help they will be more than happy to discuss a game plan at length....best of all at no charge. They usually have a master gardener there at least once a week and you can go down and talk with them. Good luck.

fl-landscapes
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
guys this is florida! Our soil is SAND thats what the plants like here thats what they grow in. Dont waste your time or money trying to make black soil like the northern guys suggest. The plants are addapted to the soil conditions that are native.....SANDY SOIL. Adding to much compost will cause drainage problems and root rot. The weather conditions will turn it into sand real quick anyway. I'm not saying a little compost won't help but that sand is what we grow our grass in. BUT do a soil sample and find out what your pH is and see what nutrient difficiences there are if any. Call your local extension office if you need any help they will be more than happy to discuss a game plan at length....best of all at no charge. They usually have a master gardener there at least once a week and you can go down and talk with them. Good luck.

treegal1
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
*Micronutrient PPM Soil Range
B 0.6 0.1-2.0, Mn 5.2 3-20, Zn 5.6 0.1-70, Cu 0.3
0.3-8.0, Fe 2.8 1.0-40, S 170
pH 7.9, Buffer pH 7.5, N: NO3-N 13ppm, OM 1.5%
Nutrient Levels ppm
P 11, K 57, Ca 14035, Mg 169

Cation Exch Cap: 55.5 Meg/100g
% Base Sat: K 0.3, Mg 2.0, Ca 97.9

ok so tell me what the soil in that area need then????? you seem to have sand figured out