PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever painted an Enclosed Trailer before?

TimTim2008
01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2008/02/24/87901/CarMateAdvantageEnclosedTrailer.jpg
aww man, i want to do this (but not 2 tone)..

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/photos/photo160.jpg
(ok, the 2nd pic im just dreaming)

But i really do want to paint my enclosed trailer...

Anyone here done it before??

What type of paint to use? (any brands you guys prefer?)

What type of prep work to do before hand?

CrystalCreek
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
My trailer was white this spring. Now its red. I couldnt stand the black streaks coming down the side of the walls on the outside. I simply cleaned the outside with dawn dish soap and a high pressure washer. Let it dry for the day. I than purchased a small air paint gun and a gallon of rustolium red. Funny thing is it is an exact match for my Fords red paint. Tape off everything that you dont want painted and go to town. Two coats followed by a coat or two of clear and your done. Has held up very well. No yellowing or fading. No pealing or chipping. Just remember to tell the DMV that the trailer in no longer the same color for their records.

TimTim2008
01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.igraver.com/images/rustoleum.jpg
So Retail Rustoleum is fine?

Thanks

Marek
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Are those water tanks in that second pic? If so that would make an awsome mx trailer.

IdealLawnCare
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I have a black open trailer I would like to be red so I have some questions....Where does one get a gal. of rust-oleum paint? Do you have to thin it out at all? What kind of paint gun?

CrystalCreek
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a black open trailer I would like to be red so I have some questions....Where does one get a gal. of rust-oleum paint? Do you have to thin it out at all? What kind of paint gun?

Jeepers Batman! Get the primer guns:laugh: You are going to have a very hard time painting black. White was easy cause red overcoated right over it. I would think that black would require at least two or three coats with an automotive white primer. I know you didnt want to hear that. Sorry. The black will just bleed right through the red, making an almost purple color. I would seriouly talk to a pro, or even consider getting the trailer done professional. Good Luck.

TimTim2008
01-13-2009, 12:50 AM

lowes & homedepot. usualy around $25 a gallon

just like the other person said, yes going FROM black to red you would need to prime to white first.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
I USED industral laytex and sprayed it
came out good for what i wanted
kinda dull though

IdealLawnCare
01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
I know you didnt want to hear that. Sorry. The black will just bleed right through the red, making an almost purple color.

your right i didnot want to hear that. please make it not be true:confused:

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2009, 11:42 PM
nice trailer good luck!

Gravel Rat
01-15-2009, 02:12 AM
The first thing you will have to do is wash the trailer down with some TSP or something that will clean and etch the surface and leaves no residue. To paint over black which is the hardest colour to paint over you will need to prime it.

The other option is have the trailer media blasted with walnut shells or plastic media which takes all the old paint off and leaves bare metal. Have the trailer primed with grey automotive primer and then paint the finish colour to what ever you want.

loupiscopolandscaping
01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
im actually looking for an enclosed trailer....18-20ft 8.5. does anyone have any good websites on the east coast? thanks guys

Az Gardener
01-24-2009, 09:40 PM
I am having Earl Shrieb paint mine I am prepping it and they are going to do it for 500.00 It is a 8.5 X 16 enclosed. We are sanding it with 220 grit sandpaper then washing with the TSP. I will let you know how it comes out, it was white and will be again. Have to get it ready for signs.

juspayme
01-26-2009, 04:25 AM
im actually looking for an enclosed trailer....18-20ft 8.5. does anyone have any good websites on the east coast? thanks guys

i have a carmate, they are built in pennsylvania. i looked around and they are more money but they build a finished trailer. u can get the 3m glue on the sides instead of the rivets. i got the glue....no problems and looks nicer when lettered.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=254281

TimTim2008
12-16-2009, 04:09 AM
ok, i swear ill paint it 2010