PDA

View Full Version : Too late for winterizer app?

jondcoleman
01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is it too late to apply a winterizer fertilizer in Frederick, MD?

Thanks!

Jon

Pythium
01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes and No,

Yes 1.)because if you have snow in MD it is not advisable.
2.)if the turf is dormant (only you will know this as we cannot see it) the turf will not get any benefit from it at this present time.
3.) Potential for runoff/ leaching if the turf is dormant is greater, thus wasting money.

No 1.) If you have no snow on the ground you can do a "dormant feed" (we did this on the golf course to show some green up to the membership as soon as the weather warmed up)
The benefits to a home lawn however, are minimal at best. You will be forcing the turf to start growing rapidly in the spring, this could cause problems down the road.

I would recommend waiting until Spring to start fertilizing again. my 2 cents

Marcos
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I think this is more of a question of professionalism.
Put yourself in your customers' shoes.

Would you want your lawn care company to come a knockin' on your door, to do a "winterization" application about the 2nd or 3rd week of January?

I know I wouldn't.

Real Green
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

Is it too late to apply a winterizer fertilizer in Frederick, MD?

Thanks!

Jon

Jon,

Your best bet is to hold off until spring. I would recommend contacting your Nutrient Management Commission in Maryland as well to make sure there is not some type of ban on applications of N or P. We are currently on a ban from December 7th to February 15th here in Delaware (The state Maryland Spoons).

jondcoleman
01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will hold off. The ground is frozen solid right now anyways. Thanks again! :)