PDA

View Full Version : I need advice asap (on a trailer)

scagdude
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey guys,
i will be purchasing a 6.5'x12' trailer with 2' sides lined with extended metal, a landscape box on the front and trimmer racks on the side as well as a ramp on the back.(it will be an open trailer) i called about a month ago to get quoted and then i called today and it was $300 cheaper!! i am just curious whether now would be the time to buy or if i should wait a couple weekes/a month or so? i am just borrowing a 5x8 right now and it only fits one of my walk behinds so it is way too small.

I need advice asap.
thanks in advance.

jaybow
01-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey guys,
i will be purchasing a 6.5'x12' trailer with 2' sides lined with extended metal, a landscape box on the front and trimmer racks on the side as well as a ramp on the back.(it will be an open trailer) i called about a month ago to get quoted and then i called today and it was $300 cheaper!! i am just curious whether now would be the time to buy or if i should wait a couple weekes/a month or so? i am just borrowing a 5x8 right now and it only fits one of my walk behinds so it is way too small.

I need advice asap.
thanks in advance.

If you have the money buy know because the price is likely to go back up in the spring.If I were you I would get a 16" double axle trailer you will probably outgrow the one you are buying in 2 years. That is if you do your homework and apply yourself.

Green Pastures
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
I outgrew that size trailer in about a month MAYBE two tops.

Go bigger.

ALC-GregH
01-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't understand how you out grow a trailer that you use to do solo work? If I was mowing 60 accounts a week by my self or 20 accounts, a bigger trailer isn't going to get the jobs done any faster and I'll be pulling more weight. A 6x12 is just about the right size for a solo person if ya ask me. If you use it right, you shouldn't need anything more. Now if you want to hire employee's and buy more equipment then yes, go big but if you work solo and have everything you need, get the trailer now while the price is lower. You probably figured I work solo and I also have a 6x12. I can fit everything I need to do all the work I offer from my business on my trailer.

ed2hess
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Do not get a double axle trailer unless you absolutely need it....they eat up tires.

jaybow
01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't understand how you out grow a trailer that you use to do solo work? If I was mowing 60 accounts a week by my self or 20 accounts, a bigger trailer isn't going to get the jobs done any faster and I'll be pulling more weight. A 6x12 is just about the right size for a solo person if ya ask me. If you use it right, you shouldn't need anything more. Now if you want to hire employee's and buy more equipment then yes, go big but if you work solo and have everything you need, get the trailer now while the price is lower. You probably figured I work solo and I also have a 6x12. I can fit everything I need to do all the work I offer from my business on my trailer.

Your right for a solo you can pretty much do everything on what you have.But with my zero turn and all my equipment I might be over my weight limit. I havent taken the time to calculate but I know its close. I know a guy could use a dump trailer sometimes. I am bidding on some big properties for this year and if I land any of them I will have to buy another Z and a bigger trailer.

jsw2008
01-13-2009, 09:02 PM
I've had the same tires on my tandem axle for over a year now and they hardly show any wear at all. A lot easier to tow also and great when you need to haul a load of sod or topsoil.

RickR1818
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Heres the problem. You may think right now you only want to be solo and a certain size trailer is right, but what happens in a year or two and all of a sudden you want to grow. This has happened to me albeit with a 5x8. Its way too small! At the time though, I thought that would be all I would need. I am at least moving up to a 6x12 and even contemplating bigger. I dont need anything bigger than a 6x12 now but I may next season.

ALC-GregH
01-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Your right for a solo you can pretty much do everything on what you have.But with my zero turn and all my equipment I might be over my weight limit. I havent taken the time to calculate but I know its close. I know a guy could use a dump trailer sometimes. I am bidding on some big properties for this year and if I land any of them I will have to buy another Z and a bigger trailer.

Why would you have to buy a new trailer and another mower? Don't you already have them? How will you ride 2 different mowers at the same time? Or do you really have someone else working with you?

Blunt
01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I recently started and 5X14 only lets me carry my tractor if i put my push mower in the back of my van. So im looking at getting a 24' tandem. I am getting tired of bush hogging a 2 acre lot then having to do the lawn with my 21". Where i live im lucky to get a mowing job withing a 20 minute drive many are closer to a hour. yes i add in the cost of travel. I also hear thats a lot of money but every one else has refused the job so go ahead. So far they have asked me back despite the cost so i hope im doing something right. Also many peaple don't realize how fast a tractor can go belly up when cutting brush or how often i have to twist out of the way of a large branch thats trying to skewer me. good luck with your trailer choice i think i will need several different ones.

sgl41377
01-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Buy the size you need for this season. If you outgrow it, sell it to the neighbor starting a lawn care company and go buy a bigger trailer.

Hawg City Lawns
01-14-2009, 12:34 AM
if i were you and you were budgeting that $300 for the trailer originally id prolly go with at least a wider trailer if not longer, youd be surprised how much 6" in width on a trailer does

N.TX
01-14-2009, 01:21 AM
I have a 16 ft trailer that i actually thought was too big so i went to the 12 ft with 2' sides and I love it. The only thing nicer about a 16 ft is if its full cage you can carry more brush and if your running alot of ztr's. I can fit 2 grasshopper gas mowers on my 12'..... only 2" to spare lol but they fit. I normally carry 3 push mowers and a 52"grasshopper. I have carried a 32" walkbehind, 21" push mower, and the 52" Grasshopper. I dont block as many peoples driveways now with the 12ft trailer, it seems like everytime i pull up to mow a yard and I block the drive thats the one time they need to go somewhere while im there.
I paid $1650 for my 6x12, 3500lbs single axle, half cage with box in front for blowers and a fold down gate.

CoupesCuts
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I have to say to go tandem axle. I had a single and now I regret it. You will end up overloading it and putting the weight on your truck. The reason why he'd want 2 mowers is he may want a ztr one day. Not everyone's lawn can be cut with a ztr making it necessary to carry a wb and ztr.

ALC-GregH
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
So for a few accounts, you want to drag around a heavier trailer and more equipment? Every account I managed last year I used a 61" mower or a push mower. I can't see why you'd have to have 3 or 4 different mowers at the same time on the same day if your solo.

scagdude
01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
guys i cant go bigger because of storage space. i am 14 yrs old and its not like im going to be adding mowers anytime soon. the 6'4"x12' is perfect size for my equipment and i even have room to spare. i have two 36" walkbehinds and two 21" mowers. i actually just ordered the trailer and i ordered the 6'4"x12' trailer with 2' sides, a landscape box on the front, trimmer racks on the side, a ramp on the back, and registered it at 7000lbs. i feel very happy with my purchase especially since im only 14. i will have it in about a week. i cant wait!!!

jblawns123
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Did you just say you registered a 12 foot single axle trailer at 7000lbs? They are 2900-3500 lbs max if its a single axle... there are exceptions but they are rare

BigGreen1
01-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I use a 82" x 14' trailer. I got the tandem for weight distribution but to be honest I would prefer a 6'5" x 14' trailer. I sometimes hit the yellow and white lines at the same time. A narrower trailer would be easier to keep between the lines. If the 6'5" doesn't have brakes I would rather keep my wide one for safety and to save brakes.

My 2cents worth,
Tim

rfed32
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
i think 12footer is good to start out with...the resale are good on them or you can keep it for when you set up another crew...all the lco i know have 12footers that they use every now and then...i think its a good trailer to have...**** ive had my 6x10 since 04 and havent gone bigger...i can fit my 36 and 60 inch wb on it...

scagdude
01-16-2009, 08:07 PM
no i registered a tandem axle at 7000lbs-jblanws123