PDA

View Full Version : On the Back of postcards...

David Gretzmier
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
What have you found best to put on the back of postcards to get a response?

I have tried the discount for showing this card line, the guarantee line, the free demo line, etc.

For Christmas Lights last year it seemed the best card ever was a list of 7-8 quotes from clients who basically said this was a great deal for them, and then I listed thier first name and the subdivsion/city they lived in. One of my favorites-

"I cannot believe how much nicer my home looks after David did his work. Not only do the trees and home look awesome, now I feel safe to come home at night. Everyone asks me who did this work, and I happily reccomend Brite Ideas."

I may repeat this as it made the phone ring, but I am wondering If you guys have any other ideas for postcards. and yes, the front will feature one of my jobs, a before and after pic, etc.

irrig8r
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Testimonials always seem made when I see them in an ad...

But what my customers have written on Angie's List and Yahoo Local seem to get me referrals...

What do marketing people say about using testimonials?

JoeyD
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I always wonder if the testimonials are real?? LOL

How about a short Bio with some of your most popular projects listed...maybe some logos of awards you have recieved or a BBB rating or something like that?

LightYourNight
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Free landscape lighting...

irrig8r
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Correction... I meant to say:

Testimonials always seem made up when I see them in an ad...

In other words, like Joey, I naturally tend to doubt that they're real.

David Gretzmier
01-15-2009, 12:14 AM
What seemed to work for me last year on quotes, for Christmas lights, was using folks first name and subdivision names. As I tend to only mail to about 8 subdivsions, and I get most of my work in those neighborhoods, I actually had folks say they knew that person. I've got 3 folks who said I could give out thier phone number for a referance along with the quote, but I just can't put those numbers out there on a card.

Although there may folks out there who agree with you about made up quotes, thinking they are fake, the one card that seemed to make the phone ring was the quote card.

OK, now, 4 posts with no advice on what to do, how about some folks chime in that are helpful? ok, edit, joey did add something constructive, after his LOL.

Eden Lights
01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Your card should tell them what they need to do, a call to action as they call it.

David Gretzmier
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
ah yes- I agree, but would love some examples that have worked for folks. Call for a free estimate, or call to have us light up your home, seems lame and I've done that before. The cards I've sent out with a call to action never seem to get action. the ones that seem informative get more, and the ones with quotes do the best.

Eden Lights
01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
ah yes- I agree, but would love some examples that have worked for folks. Call for a free estimate, or call to have us light up your home, seems lame and I've done that before. The cards I've sent out with a call to action never seem to get action. the ones that seem informative get more, and the ones with quotes do the best.

These are two different card backs from 2008, Both of them provided about a .001% or 5 sold designs return ratio. Thats 5 jobs out of about 5300 cards. We usually get about 20K of work out of each mailing.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
These are two different card backs from 2008, Both of them provided about a .001% or 5 sold designs return ratio. Thats 5 jobs out of about 5300 cards. We usually get about 20K of work out of each mailing.

Do you get your clients to sign a privacy / information release before you publish their addresses in this format?

I understand the advantage of being able to do so, allowing prospects to drive by and know what jobs are 'yours', but I am surprised that so many clients would approve or be interested in providing their addresses in this manner. Most of my clients always insist that no reference be given in regards to their name, address, location etc.

Have a great day.

David Gretzmier
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
When I get quotes, I actually have several clients that say to give out thier phone number to potential clients ( but not in advertising ).

Many of my lighting clients are a result of "we're lighting up your neighborhood" postcard campaigns where we mention the address of a home we just did so they can go and look at it. I have not had any issues there.

Truthfully though, it would only take one crazy person walking through a customers back yard with my postcard in hand to get me in trouble on this. And given the great number of crazy folks in the south, it really is a matter of when, not if this scenario happens.

Eden Lights
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Do you get your clients to sign a privacy / information release before you publish their addresses in this format?

I understand the advantage of being able to do so, allowing prospects to drive by and know what jobs are 'yours', but I am surprised that so many clients would approve or be interested in providing their addresses in this manner. Most of my clients always insist that no reference be given in regards to their name, address, location etc.

Have a great day.

Addresses are not private information by any means in this county, I can pull up a full profile of any street, name, or address from public records in seconds right here from the office on the good old web. But, to answer your question my contract has a release in it that allows this along with premission to document the project for my business use, advertising, and etc. Addresses only are pretty innocent, names on a mailer would be different. We have a approved reference sheet with 500 phones numbers for a client that is serious and wants to check some references. I guess we miss the type of clients that you are working with, since we require a one on one with the homeowner to present a proposal. We lose about one client a year to this, but I can't design for someone I dont know. In my first year I put about 12 fixtures on a fountain for a unknown client, she hated the fountain itself and didn't want to pay to remove the equipment. I had a signed contract and signed drawings by her staff. I felt like I failed some how?

David Gretzmier
01-16-2009, 04:41 PM
That's a great idea including permission in the contract. I will add that on my next printing run.

I also agree about requiring a one on one with the client. I've worked through architects, Landscape designers, "personal assistants", etc. I have way more problems with those clients because of communications. They had an idea of one thing, you did another.

Eden Lights
01-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Addresses are not private information by any means in this county, I can pull up a full profile of any street, name, or address from public records in seconds right here from the office on the good old web. But, to answer your question my contract has a release in it that allows this along with premission to document the project for my business use, advertising, and etc. Addresses only are pretty innocent, names on a mailer would be different. We have a approved reference sheet with 500 phones numbers for a client that is serious and wants to check some references. I guess we miss the type of clients that you are working with, since we require a one on one with the homeowner to present a proposal. We lose about one client a year to this, but I can't design for someone I dont know. In my first year I put about 12 fixtures on a fountain for a unknown client, she hated the fountain itself and didn't want to pay to remove the equipment. I had a signed contract and signed drawings by her staff. I felt like I failed some how?

I wanted to add that not all 500 names are landscape lighting clients, I may have just changed out their interior lamps or something.

David Gretzmier
01-17-2009, 11:53 AM
That got me to thinking how many landscape lighting clients I could list. 100? 300? certainly not 500. That's a heck of a referance list. Christmas Lights, yeah, I could top 500, but just barely. Quite honestly, many of those folks have moved away, passed on, or no longer use me for various reasons.

rnd
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Go to RNDSIGNS.COM (http://rndsigns.com). See hundreds of print advertising ideas from all over the U.S. Also hundreds of professional photographs. Request a FREE marketing handbook.

sdsissom
01-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Eden Lights:
I think your addresses postcard is a great idea and you're right about the call to action. It's important.

But, since you posted it, Im going to make a suggestion about the first card. If you removed "There can be" from each of the first 3 statements, the keywords would be front and center and they sound real nice that way if read aloud. Try it.

The other thing I was going to recommend printing your website so people could get more information. Or "Google me at: Company Name City". 90% of searches happen on google, so people are pretty familiar with it. So I looked myself, and while you don't have a website, you are actually pretty well represented, first 3 results for: eden lights nashville.

If you don't want to make a website, there is an easy way around this so your customers can get more info online about your business that looks pro.

Go to Google.
Click maps on top.
Look to the left of the big map for: "Put your business on Google Maps"
The walkthru is pretty easy after that.
Google mails you a postcard with a PIN number.
You can now add- your services, phone number, a coupon, a map, pictures, and if you can get your customers to give you a review, gold!

Oh, did I mention it is free?

And will show up in a big box at the top of the SERPS? It takes about 2-4 weeks for their system to do this reliably.

Any questions?

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 07:51 PM
my clients wouldnt like having their home on a piece of paper like that!! lots of my clients ask me not to talk about their home or the project to anyone not involved. Do the homeowners know youre putting their address on 5000 flyers? most people dont read the fine print on contracts.....

Chris J
01-27-2009, 10:10 PM
:laugh: I'm gonna call foul on Johnny! If you have that much respect for your customers, then why don't you have any respect for your fellow contractors? You show pictures of MINE on your website, so what makes you so respectful and morally correct? :hammerhead: See you next week Dude! :cool2:

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
oh man you're still on that rant... im working on getting better pictures dude.

Plus those are technically kichlers photos. :)

Chris J
01-27-2009, 10:16 PM
No John, they are "technically not your work". Get it? Why is that hard for you to understand?

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
where do i say theyre mine?? I get it. Im gonna get the image on the front page flipped. Youre right. I know youre right. Do you get that I know you're right?

I was jokin with the technically kichler comment. get over it. Its getting changed.

Chris J
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm not on it, so I can't get over it. The fact that your are getting it changed is great news, but it's nothing I have any say over. As far as the question about where do you say "their mine"? Well as far as I'm concerned that's not the real q. The real question is "who's are they?" and that is answered by a simple mention (on the pic) of the sponsoring designer. ie, lighting design by JOHNSON LANDSCAPE LIGHTING, INC.! That's just common consideration and it just makes good sense. Otherwise, you're just leading your readers/customers to believe that you created those designs on you own. And we both know that you did not, correct? So I ask you, what is better for your businesss? Display your own pictures; or display my pictures to promote YOUR business? Common sense should be sinking in about now, so have a great freakin day.

klkanders
01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Chris,
Maybe this isn't a good time but here goes........I am thinking about getting a web site goin and don't have quite enough pics yet.......do you think I could borrow a few.........giving you full credit of course. Just make sure your name across the bottom isn't too big ok? Oh and please do not send any with palm trees on them as obviously they are not native to my region. Thanks bud!!!

Keith :)

LightYourNight
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I agree you shoudl be credited. Kichler should put text small in the corner "lighting design by". If it would have said that i probably wouldnt have used it when it came from kichler on a cd in a the mail with no credits. I think this is bone to pick with kichler as well as me.

If not idiots like me think its from kichler and should be used to sell their products and we have no idea that it belongs to some guy on a message board somehwere who is gonna yell at you whenever he gets the chance!

*trucewhiteflag*

Chris J
01-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Ha Ha! Your a funny guy John. Kichler is not to blame for this, the blame is on me as I gave them the rights to those photos when I submitted them for the photo contests. In fact, they even paid my photographer a fee to release her copyright so all is good. I'm not an arse hole, so don't feel that I'm yelling at you. In a perfect world I would appreciate some kind of acknowledgement in your photos, but I understand you had no idea. I will help anyone get started (this is for you Keith) who is not in my market. By the way, the internet is my market so this is not for you John. If you need a photo or two to get yourself off the ground then I'm all about helping you out. All you have to do is call. I will expect some form of reciprocation, be that flattery or monetary, but something in return will be expected. I enjoy seeing all of you succeeed, so if I can contribute to that success then I'm all the better for it. So bring it on!

Chris J
01-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Hey Chris,
Maybe this isn't a good time but here goes........I am thinking about getting a web site goin and don't have quite enough pics yet.......do you think I could borrow a few.........giving you full credit of course. Just make sure your name across the bottom isn't too big ok? Oh and please do not send any with palm trees on them as obviously they are not native to my region. Thanks bud!!!

Keith :)

I don't know if you noticed, but virtually every property that I took you to when you were here had palm trees. It's kind of like; standard equipment around here. Anyway, I'll help you in any way I can.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't know if you noticed, but virtually every property that I took you to when you were here had palm trees. It's kind of like; standard equipment around here. Anyway, I'll help you in any way I can.

I guess you could send him path/area light pics??:laugh:

klkanders
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Chris,
I was just messin with ya about the pics. I am looking into a web site however but will scrape up enough photos to get it started. As always I appreciate your offer of help. I might get your opinion when setting up my site when the time comes.

Keith

tonyGub
01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
where do i say theyre mine?? I get it. Im gonna get the image on the front page flipped. Youre right. I know youre right. Do you get that I know you're right?

I was jokin with the technically kichler comment. get over it. Its getting changed.

Im just curious. Do lighting contractors buy from you. If so how do they feel about you being a distributor and a contractor.
Do you really have any of your own pictures? If I was Chris I would be really pissed.

tonyGub
01-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh, and are you embarrased about the fact that you basically take credit for someone elses work. Do your customers believe it is your work? Dude if you are for real get a camera and spend 2 nights a week for 6 months or so establishing your own portfolio.

LightYourNight
01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
youll be happy today to know your pic is removed. sorry. that sucks they were yours.

Mark B
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Will someone catch me up on this? If you don't mind.

tonyGub
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Will someone catch me up on this? If you don't mind.

Nothing really. I was just helping Chris give this guy a hard time. But I do agree with Chris on this.

David Gretzmier
02-04-2009, 10:24 AM
As this thread is about the back of postcards- does anyone else have any help in this regard.