PDA

View Full Version : Program question????

LawnTamer
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi everybody,

Here's what I am looking at:

For the past 3 yrs, I have offered a 6 step program.

Steps one and two are both liquid apps and include fert, Pre-em and broadleaf weed control.

Rounds 3-5 include granular feedings, and spot treatment for weeds, as needed.

Round 6 is my winterizer.

Here is what I am looking at changing.

I am looking at making my first round granular also. I hate dragging hose, and mixing, I can apply granular fert much faster. BUT.... my clients will still expect a weed free lawn, which means I will have to spot spray spring Dandelions, for the first round.
Will that eat my time savings?

How many of you start the season with granular fert?

I treat mostly KBG lawns, my newer lawns are KBG/Red Fescue/PR blends. I would like to get this first round done in March.

Thoughts?

turf hokie
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
We do round 1 all granular with spot treats as we start getting into April and warmer temps. On our six step program we dont even apply our pre-m with round 1 just a straight fert.

We are also looking to convert some of our clients to round 3 as all liquid to see if it takes too long or if results will be better and justify taking longer.

KACYDS
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Will that eat my time savings?

LawnTamer,

Are you looking to change your program only to save time?

I understand that we all want to do less work (and save time), but how will the customer perceive that?

I agree that going granular will be easier to apply than dragging a hose around. I try my hardest not to drag a hose, and go granular when I can.

How many of you start the season with granular fert?

Here in the south, with warm season turf, the earliest we fertilize St. Aug, Centipede, and Bermuda would be March 15. Depends on the weather.

My question to you, do you need to blanket spray post-emerge herbicides on most of your lawns? If most lawns are thick with little weed pressure, I would granular fert with spot treatment of weeds.

Hopefully I have helped.............:weightlifter:

The Lawn Gator
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
New to this but when you say a 6 step program are you saying you do 6 different applications?

LawnTamer
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
New to this but when you say a 6 step program are you saying you do 6 different applications?

Yup. I am. Some clients may get more, but that is the basic package.

The Lawn Gator
01-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Not to be smart but where in the hell do you find the time to apply apps that much. Hell, I wouldn't have time to mow doing all those applications.

turf hokie
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Not to be smart but where in the hell do you find the time to apply apps that much. Hell, I wouldn't have time to mow doing all those applications.

We dont mow!!!!!!!!

The Lawn Gator
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
ahhh...I got ya

LawnTamer
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Actually, I do mow:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But I primarily do apps. I started just doing apps, but eventually I got tired of turning people away for mowing. I should have experienced help this yr, so I am hoping to have very little to do with the mowing, just go out every once in a while to make sure things are good, ride the sulkies around etc.

I found a nice 19-3-5 with .29% Prodiamine that I am thinking about using for my first round, it is from Howard Johnson, (I thought that was a hotel chain) anyway.... Does anyone have any experience with this fertilizer? Again, it would be early spring (March) and it would be used on KBG, and KBG/PR/Red Fescue lawns. I need a good fert to kick them out of dormancy.

ted putnam
01-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Actually, I do mow:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But I primarily do apps. I started just doing apps, but eventually I got tired of turning people away for mowing. I should have experienced help this yr, so I am hoping to have very little to do with the mowing, just go out every once in a while to make sure things are good, ride the sulkies around etc.

I found a nice 19-3-5 with .29% Prodiamine that I am thinking about using for my first round, it is from Howard Johnson, (I thought that was a hotel chain) anyway.... Does anyone have any experience with this fertilizer? Again, it would be early spring (March) and it would be used on KBG, and KBG/PR/Red Fescue lawns. I need a good fert to kick them out of dormancy.

LT, Howard Johnson is a good quality product. I have used it when working for another company. Only thing I didn't care for was the paper bags. We have lots of afternoon T-showers in the Spring and Summer and plastic bags offer more protection. Overall, you will not be disappointed. I thought the same thing about the name when I first saw them. If I see any fert put out by a company called IHOP, I'll have to take a much closer look.:laugh:

n-green
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
We use all granular fert. Round 1 and 2 is 13-2-5 with dimension. We use permagreens and the dreaded push and squirt to combine liquid broadleaf control. We start Mar 1 if weather permits and do a blanket spray of an ester or 3-way on new lawns and spot spray the rest.

mngrassguy
01-16-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't start seeing weed preasure until rd 1 is over. I would use granular until you start seeing weeds. JMO

RigglePLC
01-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Tamer, Mngrassguy is right,
If you do a good blanket weed control in fall--you don't have dandelions or hardly any other weeds in spring. So use dry fert/crab in Rd-1. Special spot spray or extra trip for new lawns, as needed.