PDA

View Full Version : Ride On Spray Wand Demand.

SpreadNSpray
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
How important is it for you to have a spray wand for your ride on. How often do you use it if you have one? How many would need a 15" hose and spray wand for their Magnum?

RigglePLC
01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Spray wand did you say 15 inches? Not sure that would be used much. But sometimes I wish I had a one-gallon (or half gallon) hand sprayer in a rack onboard my Ultra somewhere. I find myself motoring back to the truck to get the hand sprayer and then walking to cover areas dangerously close to flowers, (or inaccessible for some other reason).

SpreadNSpray
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Spray wand did you say 15 inches? Not sure that would be used much. But sometimes I wish I had a one-gallon (or half gallon) hand sprayer in a rack onboard my Ultra somewhere. I find myself motoring back to the truck to get the hand sprayer and then walking to cover areas dangerously close to flowers, (or inaccessible for some other reason).

Typo, thats FEET! 15' feet. Thanks Riggle

americanlawn
01-14-2009, 06:48 PM
We use our hose wand on nearly all properties. (it also pulls out as far as 15 feet if/when needed). This way we can safely/accurately kill weeds along flower beds, etc where most of the weeds are.

Our ride-on units do not require two hands to steer, so we are able to just "drive & spray". No need to bend over while riding either. It's easy, fast & accurate.....often times we drive up to 5 mph while using the hose wand.

I won't mention which brand of ride-ons we run, but you can deduce which one it is by the above advantages. :usflag:

How important is it for you to have a spray wand for your ride on. How often do you use it if you have one? How many would need a 15" hose and spray wand for their Magnum?

SpreadNSpray
01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I find myself motoring back to the truck to get the hand sprayer and then walking to cover areas dangerously close to flowers, (or inaccessible for some other reason).

I hear ya especially when the flowers and plants are growing over the landscape into the turf.
Don't you just use your hand can to get the edges?

SpreadNSpray
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
We use our hose wand on nearly all properties. (it also pulls out as far as 15 feet if/when needed). This way we can safely/accurately kill weeds along flower beds, etc where most of the weeds are.

Our ride-on units do not require two hands to steer, so we are able to just "drive & spray". No need to bend over while riding either. It's easy, fast & accurate.....often times we drive up to 5 mph while using the hose wand.

I won't mention which brand of ride-ons we run, but you can deduce which one it is by the above advantages. :usflag:

Thanks for the post American. I'm sure the T3000 is a great machine. I look forward to trying one out this summer.

robertsturf
01-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I am going to put that same thing on my Ultra this winter. When I get it perfected I will post pics. I have already added a larger fuel tank and battery box. I am also going to add 2 additional tanks if I can find the size I am looking for.

FdLLawnMan
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
If my T3000 didn't have one I would put one on. I hardly ever use the trim nozzle. I get the wand out, put the T3000 on cruise and go around all the hard to get stuff without getting off the machine. No more backpacking for me to get around edges.

americanlawn
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
SpreadNSpray -- IMO the T3000 is in a class of it's own. I know about eight reasons/comparisons/advantages why we run 'em instead oif 'other' ride-ons. If you buy one, you will NOT be sorry.

Fd -- The spray wand that comes with the T3000 is good (plastic), but we switched to an aluminum wand that is 6 - 8 inches longer. This enables us to not to have to bend over whatsoever. You can purchase these at Sprayer Specialties (sprayers.com).

Mike -- Since you are a TURFCO "A-Team" member, just PM me your shipping address, and I'll send you one at no charge so you can compare.

Later all. Stay warm.:usflag:

If my T3000 didn't have one I would put one on. I hardly ever use the trim nozzle. I get the wand out, put the T3000 on cruise and go around all the hard to get stuff without getting off the machine. No more backpacking for me to get around edges.

CHARLES CUE
01-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I use one on my ride on the hose is 10 ft use it all the time great for sitting on your a## and do the edeges beats a back pack
Charles Cue

FdLLawnMan
01-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Larry

I already changed my wand to one that accepts flat fan nozzles. I thought the plastic one was a piece of crap. I will call you tomorrow because I have several questions. It is supposed to be -17 tonight with wind chills between 35 and 45 below. This is the coldest is has been in a decade.

SpreadNSpray
01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
SpreadNSpray -- IMO the T3000 is in a class of it's own. I know about eight reasons/comparisons/advantages why we run 'em instead oif 'other' ride-ons. If you buy one, you will NOT be sorry.

Fd -- The spray wand that comes with the T3000 is good (plastic), but we switched to an aluminum wand that is 6 - 8 inches longer. This enables us to not to have to bend over whatsoever. You can purchase these at Sprayer Specialties (sprayers.com).

Mike -- Since you are a TURFCO "A-Team" member, just PM me your shipping address, and I'll send you one at no charge so you can compare.

Later all. Stay warm.:usflag:

American, I'm not looking for a ride on comparison here. All I'm asking about is the demand for a spray wand. I would like to hear your 8 reasons in another thread though. I do appreciate your opinion.

Just to let everyone know, I have not really felt a need for a spray wand. My employees and I can trim just fine with the Permagreen Magnum. We do use the hand cans every once in a while on edges with flowers or plants growing into the turf. Some people have brought up the wand in past threads. Just checking to see what the demand might be.

grassman177
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
i use mine all the time from the zspray, 50 ft too!! i use it for those real steep areas on some properties , and behind fences in the right of way i cant get too type of stuff, really handy, ahha

americanlawn
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I hope folks are not getting the idea that I am trying to compare ride-ons since you "cut & pasted" from a thread that was made months ago. Also, I chose not to go into my 8 reasons so as not to offend anyone, cuz all ride-ons have advantages & folks have their own preferences.

I should have stated my opinion more clearly. The wand that comes standard with our ride-ons is 6 - 8 inches too short. (IMO) So we switched to a longer one. Now we don't have to "reach over" to hit target weeds anymore. We also like the aluminum cuz it is more durable than plastic wands, and it costs only $5 (complete with nozzle from Sprayer Specialties..www.sprayers.com).

Also we seldom use the "trim nozzle" (used for narrow areas) on our ride-ons cuz the spray wand has worked out so well for us. Like I say -- we use spray wands to trim on nearly all properties. Just set the cruise control, steer with one hand & spot spray with the other.

Sorry if I was vague -- hope this clears it up Thanks. :waving:

QUOTE=SpreadNSpray;2698798]American, I'm not looking for a ride on comparison here. All I'm asking about is the demand for a spray wand. I would like to hear your 8 reasons in another thread though. I do appreciate your opinion.

Just to let everyone know, I have not really felt a need for a spray wand. My employees and I can trim just fine with the Permagreen Magnum. We do use the hand cans every once in a while on edges with flowers or plants growing into the turf. Some people have brought up the wand in past threads. Just checking to see what the demand might be.[/QUOTE]

turfsolutions
01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=SpreadNSpray;2698798]American, I'm not looking for a ride on comparison here. All I'm asking about is the demand for a spray wand. I would like to hear your 8 reasons in another thread though. I do appreciate your opinion.

I was thinking the same thing.

My z spray, which I can drive with one hand, has a very useful 50ft reel and wand however it does need to be upgraded. One thing I am going to do going into this season is put a longer wand with a fan spray nozzle on it. Mainly for blanket spraying large hard to reach areas / hills. I still like to trim with my backpack though. Call me old fashioned.

americanlawn
01-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I hear ya buddy. We demo'd all sizes of Z-sprays (some more than 3 times over the coarse of a 3 year period) and were able to steer with one hand....but it was somewhat cumbersome unless you really knew what you're doing....or have large hands....kinda like mowing with a zero-turn mower with one hand.

As far as a flat fan nozzle -- I thought that was the cat's meow (tried to convince my guys), BUT....they prefered the "cone/adjustable'" nozzle. I tried both, and now I prefer the adjustable cone nozzle too with ride-on applications.

With backpack sprayers, flat fan nozzles are the way to go, but regarding ride-ons, now we're saying adjustable cone nozzles work best for us. :waving:

QUOTE=turfsolutions;2701098]American, I'm not looking for a ride on comparison here. All I'm asking about is the demand for a spray wand. I would like to hear your 8 reasons in another thread though. I do appreciate your opinion.

I was thinking the same thing.

My z spray, which I can drive with one hand, has a very useful 50ft reel and wand however it does need to be upgraded. One thing I am going to do going into this season is put a longer wand with a fan spray nozzle on it. Mainly for blanket spraying large hard to reach areas / hills. I still like to trim with my backpack though. Call me old fashioned.

Jason Rose
01-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I would probably bite on a wand that had a actual home on the Permagreen. I can think of a pretty good number of places I do that have those hard to reach areas, or weeds right along the edges of landscaping, that are a long way from the truck. Yes it would be nice to have a wand that was calibrated to the ULV spray of the permagreen.

Even where I have ditches next to concrete drives. It's almost impossible to get good coverage right up to the concrete. Of course that my be better with the new spray boom I bought from you... It's all installed, and also got the cruise control for the spray put on the other day. (Thanks again for that!) Just need another one for the throttle side... lol.

Speaking of Permagreens, though off topic, I need the spacer kit that raises everything off the frame a little. Never think to call my old Lesco/JDL place to see if they have them or could order them still.

Grandview
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM

You must have a Z-Spray.

SpreadNSpray
01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I hope folks are not getting the idea that I am trying to compare ride-ons since you "cut & pasted" from a thread that was made months ago. Also, I chose not to go into my 8 reasons so as not to offend anyone, cuz all ride-ons have advantages & folks have their own preferences.

I should have stated my opinion more clearly. The wand that comes standard with our ride-ons is 6 - 8 inches too short. (IMO) So we switched to a longer one. Now we don't have to "reach over" to hit target weeds anymore. We also like the aluminum cuz it is more durable than plastic wands, and it costs only $5 (complete with nozzle from Sprayer Specialties..www.sprayers.com).

Also we seldom use the "trim nozzle" (used for narrow areas) on our ride-ons cuz the spray wand has worked out so well for us. Like I say -- we use spray wands to trim on nearly all properties. Just set the cruise control, steer with one hand & spot spray with the other.

Sorry if I was vague -- hope this clears it up Thanks. :waving:

QUOTE=SpreadNSpray;2698798]American, I'm not looking for a ride on comparison here. All I'm asking about is the demand for a spray wand. I would like to hear your 8 reasons in another thread though. I do appreciate your opinion.

Just to let everyone know, I have not really felt a need for a spray wand. My employees and I can trim just fine with the Permagreen Magnum. We do use the hand cans every once in a while on edges with flowers or plants growing into the turf. Some people have brought up the wand in past threads. Just checking to see what the demand might be.[/QUOTE]

No need to say sorry. I was not offended in least. Thanks for your input. Your experience with different ride ons adds value to your opinions. By the way, the only quote I used of yours was from yesterday on page 1.
I will always say. I'm Just happy to have these ride ons. It's nice that there is more than one. It just makes for more options, advancements and competition.

RigglePLC
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I am thinking my Permagreen ought to have a short "trim boom". with a solid band type nozzle from the right wheel to just outside of the left wheel and it should be far enough back so that it would be easy to see exactly where you were spraying.

SpreadNSpray
01-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I would probably bite on a wand that had a actual home on the Permagreen. I can think of a pretty good number of places I do that have those hard to reach areas, or weeds right along the edges of landscaping, that are a long way from the truck. Yes it would be nice to have a wand that was calibrated to the ULV spray of the permagreen.

Even where I have ditches next to concrete drives. It's almost impossible to get good coverage right up to the concrete. Of course that my be better with the new spray boom I bought from you... It's all installed, and also got the cruise control for the spray put on the other day. (Thanks again for that!) Just need another one for the throttle side... lol.

Speaking of Permagreens, though off topic, I need the spacer kit that raises everything off the frame a little. Never think to call my old Lesco/JDL place to see if they have them or could order them still.

Jason, I usually order parts right from Permagreen. They are great about shipping parts super fast. Next day, if you need it.
As far as the wand goes...what do you mean "actual home"? A good place for the hose to store?

How did the install go? Too bad is too cold to give-er a test drive!

RigglePLC
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I am thinking my Permagreen ought to have a short "trim boom". with a solid band type nozzle from the right wheel to just outside of the left wheel and it should be far enough back so that it would be easy to see exactly where you were spraying.

Actually I picture 4 nozzles to cover about 4 foot wide band.

Jason Rose
01-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Jason, I usually order parts right from Permagreen. They are great about shipping parts super fast. Next day, if you need it.
As far as the wand goes...what do you mean "actual home"? A good place for the hose to store?

How did the install go? Too bad is too cold to give-er a test drive!

duh, never thought to just order what I need through permagreen...

The install went really easy. Kinda overkill providing a whole roll of teflon tape, and then 3/4 of the fittings were pre-taped :laugh: I guess the stuff is cheap, but just another roll for the hook on the wall. I seem to have about 6 of them, all have been used a bit. Anyway, I had to watch how the hoses routed around the boom and back under where they attach to where the trim nozzles were so I could get the front cowling to go back in place. I think how I had to route them was opposite of what was in the picture(under instead of over)? I looked at the instructions after I was done to make sure I didn't goof.

As for the spray wand and hose, yeah, I mean somethign that would fit tight on the sprayer, not hanging out on either side or sticking up on top. I have gates I just barely squeeze through, and tree limbs I just eek under with the handle folded back. Anything outside of that "box" would be in the way. Dosn't leave much room, that's for sure.

I think I've seen pics somewhere that someone had attached one of those spring type coiled hoses to the drain valve with a wand on that. not a bad idea as long as the hose wasn't flopping around when it's not in use.

SpreadNSpray
01-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I think I've seen pics somewhere that someone had attached one of those spring type coiled hoses to the drain valve with a wand on that. not a bad idea as long as the hose wasn't flopping around when it's not in use.

I've seen that pic. It does look very "rigged" if you will. I would agree it needs a home.

grassman177
01-16-2009, 10:43 AM
i want to know which brand , bif anyone has done so, they used in retro fitting the small hand sprayer on the zspray to a wand. i can find a suitable match as far as thread size goes, i like my wands and flat fan nozzles like on my sp systems backpacks.

any ideas or info to help??

americanlawn
01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Fdlawn -- I'm a big believer in flat fan nozzles when it comes to backpack sprayers, but while running a ride-on, we prefer the adjustable cone nozzle (never thought I would say this). This allows us to spray farther. So Far, so good. The slightly longer wand we switched to allows us not to have bend over in order to spray weeds along the edges.

Grandview -- We don't run Z-Sprays, but they are certainly our 2nd choice. Also, if you have a good applicator, it's not too difficult to steer with one hand (on flat ground). We were able to do this while in Lebanon, IN.

SpreadNSpray -- Thanks bud...You're right. We're currently experiencing a revolution in ride-on lawn care equipment. Competition is the main reason. Thank God they're all "made in the USA". :usflag:

It's often tempting to criticize manufactures of ride-on equipment. They are an easy target because of such high demand. That's a very good thing. Beats pulling a hose on large properties. :waving::usflag:

SpreadNSpray
01-18-2009, 11:04 AM
We're currently experiencing a revolution in ride-on lawn care equipment. Competition is the main reason. Thank God they're all "made in the USA". :usflag::waving::usflag:

No kidding, Made in the USA!

Anyone else think they would use a 15' hose and wand on the Magnum?

TLS
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I would be interested. Are you thinking coiled hose, or an actual hose reel?