PDA

View Full Version : flood nozzle size?

bradyard
01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
What is most common size for lawn spraying? 2gpm, 3gpm, 4gpm?

Grandview
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I use .5 if I use them.

Grassmechanic
01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I use a 2 gpm for most apps.

RigglePLC
01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I apply about 3 gallons per minute. But...I use the white 4 gallon per minute nozzle. Because I get bigger droplets and less drift. Wind is seldom a problem.

But your actual gallonage per 1000 sq ft will depend on the walking speed, swath width, pump output, hose size and hose length. A 4 gal per min nozzle will not put out 4 gallons if pressure is low. And it will put out about 6 gallons if at 200 pounds pressure. Do a bucket check. Calibrate carefully.
The gallons output you need depends on what you are trying to do. If you melt urea or use liquid fert--you need more water as a carrier. Some insect controls need plenty of water. Pre-emergents likewise. If not, or only doing weed control, less water is fine.

azjojo99
01-16-2009, 12:50 AM
I use the 3 gpm nozzle calibrated to my walking speed to give ~2.3 gallons/1000 ft^2, or 100 gallons/acre.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-16-2009, 01:03 AM
...I use the white 4 gallon per minute nozzle.

Riggle: does this nozzle happen to let the debris through that would normally clog a 2gpm nozzle?

LawnTamer
01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I use a 2gpm on my skid sprayer. I keep thinking I should switch up to a 3gpm and walk faster, but I am too dang old.:laugh:

heritage
01-16-2009, 01:10 AM
With the 1/2 hose I like the 2GPM nozzle.

With the 3/8 hose I like the 1.5 GPM nozzle. I use 100 mesh screen in the suction filter with this nozzle to keep the small holes sediment free.

Pete

RigglePLC
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Whoop, I clean my nozzle about once per day. So I would say a lot of debris must go through. And I have a 325 mesh filter before the pump. Plus I have a 8 inch diameter fiberglass window screen filter glued to the inside of the tank near the outlet. Used silicone and more recently "Gorilla Glue". (Waterproof, but wear Gloves!) I melt urea--so I have a lot of foreign material to scoop out at the end of the year.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Whoop, I clean my nozzle about once per day. So I would say a lot of debris must go through. And I have a 325 mesh filter before the pump. Plus I have a 8 inch diameter fiberglass window screen filter glued to the inside of the tank near the outlet. Used silicone and more recently "Gorilla Glue". (Waterproof, but wear Gloves!) I melt urea--so I have a lot of foreign material to scoop out at the end of the year.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some of that myself. I've just developed the habit of carrying a small wire brush as I go along and unscrewing/brushing/rinsing the nozzle when it gets bad. And while that only takes an extra 20 seconds, when I get a dirty batch of fertilizer - I'm doing that on every single lawn one or more times...

jspray
01-18-2009, 10:44 PM
We have sprayed lawns/turf since 1980 with backpacks fitted with a floodjet tip spraying from knee high about 6ft.wide. We now use a TFVS-3 at 15psi and a flow rate of .36gpm and a normal walking speed of 2.5mph and again 72" width for an application rate of 12gpa. So (4) 3 gal. back packs will spray an acre.

It is safe to say that we have sprayed thousands of backpacks this way with always good results. At first we used some dye but was too messy. Now we step 2 steps at end (6ft.) and walk back to other end.

The turbo floodjet nozzle is a pre-orifice tip with a energy dampning pre chamber that reduces/eliminates fines at low pressure in particular.

My main man, whose my good friend for years, one day sprayed 56 back packs in one day at a golf course. This has to be a world's record.

Most of the time on a regular size lawn Danny can spray it before you could drag a hose out from a skid unit.

Anybody who discounts the utility of back pack sprayers and a turbo floodjet for lawn spraying must not like profit.

Good Spraying,

Bill J.

God bless our great country!!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-19-2009, 01:19 AM
...My main man, whose my good friend for years, one day sprayed 56 back packs in one day at a golf course. This has to be a world's record.

Whoa, be careful. When one begins speaking of high efficiency applications on lawnsite, the naysayers come out of the woodwork to revile and ridicule! Watch yourself!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm ignorant to this whole setup, and am having a hard time picturing it... How are you getting decent coverage at .27g/M ??? I'd love to know - because I'd be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

greendoctor
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM
I have a set of TFVS nozzles in various sizes. They are great in wide open areas where I do not need to worry about the edges. Your guy would love what I use as a backpack or he would hate it because of the weight. I use a 7 gallon engine driven backpack, regulated down to 20 PSI for the floodjet nozzle. I last did a horse paddock at 1/2 gallon/M with a TFVS 2.5. It is possible to get very good coverage because your traveling speed is not excessive. I am sure it is possible to run up to a TFVS 3 with an electric backpack. I do not use electrics because many of my applications require pressure and volume.

greendoctor
01-19-2009, 02:14 AM
I will also agree that there is almost no drift from the TFVS tips, even when they are held 24" off the ground. Not sure about the 72" coverage though. I shoot for 30% overlap of each swath, and I hold it so the fan strikes perpendicular to the ground. I see 36" doing that.

jspray
01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Jspray means low volume. It's efficiency and quickness and profitable. Our coverage is very adequate. Our tractor unit sprays at 5gpa, our utility vehicle at 7gpa, our commericial walk sprayer and push spayer at 16gpa and back pack at 12gpa. We do have to hold the TF tips higher because the edge is tapered--about 30" high. 120 degree tip gives 3 ft each side of center or 6ft allowing for taper.
If a customer does not want a low volume application he doesn't want us.
Hey, I respect all you guys. We all have different methods.
Bill J.

Grassmechanic
01-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Use a basket strainer and put your dry urea in it. A gentle flow from a hose will dissolve your fert in no time. All the debris will end up in the basket instead of your tank.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
...Hey, I respect all you guys. We all have different methods.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm VERY interested in what you're describing. I'm pulling hose right now, but am looking to return to a blend of liquid and granular... And your system would allow me to simply carry a 60 gallon nurse tank with herbicide in it (as opposed to my insanely bulky, heavy, clunky Lesco Space Saver)...

Are you limited in regards to which chemicals you're able to apply via the backpack? Would you ever run preemergent in it? Or insecticides? Thanks for the input.

KACYDS
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Whoa, be careful. When one begins speaking of high efficiency applications on lawnsite, the naysayers come out of the woodwork to revile and ridicule! Watch yourself!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whoop,

Who would do something like that? lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
By the way, I googled TFVS and couldn't come up with much... is there another label for these tips?

...Who would do something like that? lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

DUSTYCEDAR
01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
neat ideas.........

LawnTamer
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I also would like to hear more about these TFVS nozzles. We run about 1-1.5 gal/k, and still have to be careful about drift. I would like to see/hear more about this method.

KACYDS
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

For some reason, the number 90 is stuck in my head............lol:laugh::laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
For some reason, the number 90 is stuck in my head............lol:laugh::laugh:

...ALMOST 91...

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

jspray
01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
We do apply pre with these setups including back packs with TF tips. Also tractor sprayer at 5gpa.
New pre-orifice tips with little or no drift allow this. We use TTI11002VP on tractor, UV sprayer, commercial walk and push aluminm sprayer. These tips are pre-orifice and air inducted and we call them hurricane proof.
It's low volume or no volume for us. We hate water!
Pictures of some of our sprayers are attached.

Good spraying,

Bill J.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Pictures of some of our sprayers are attached.

That's pretty slick! Is that middle sprayer a converted walk behind mower? Even if it's not, I've got enough old, beat up walk behind mowers to build a replica!!!

greendoctor
01-19-2009, 06:36 PM
That would be nice, A self propelled boom. That walk behind does have the ability to be locked into one speed right? My worry with tanks that drop into spreaders and wheelbarrows with booms is how hard they are to push and how that affects an accurate application.

LawnSharks
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
That old Snapper walk behind is sweet.

jspray
01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
The tips are by Spraying Systems--Wheaton, Ill. They are turbo floodjets TFVS-3.

We developed the commercial walk sprayer and sell them. Look on web site proedgesprayer.com. We use TTI11002VP turbo teejet air inducted tips on these now--lower volume and hurricane proof.

Sorry about picture of my push sprayer painting. My eyes ran together last night and I was trying to send picture of aluminum push sprayer spraying.

I will try again on the al. push picture. It also uses TTI11002VP Spraying Systems tips--8 gal. tank will spray 1/2 ac. Sprays all day on one charge of the deep cycle gel battery.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd really like to see the backpack assembly.

jspray
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I have some good photos on another computer and will try to get them on here tomorrow.

Bill J.

greendoctor
01-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Here is a TFVS-10 nozzle attached to a standard valve and wand. At normal walking speed and 15 PSI, I use it to put down preemergents and fertilizers at 2 gallons/M.

greendoctor
01-23-2009, 04:28 AM
That wand will either attach to my engine drive backpacks or a skid sprayer.

jspray
01-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I bet that works good and makes an accurate application.

greendoctor
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Its ok, but does not meet my standards for precision of placement. For example, I would never use a flood jet type nozzle when applying broadleaf herbicides next to flower beds or shrubs. Doing a fast job is not worth being liable for damage.

jspray
01-23-2009, 03:06 PM
What do you use next to flower beds?

greendoctor
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
AI110VS tips either on that same single nozzle wand or on a walking boom, depending on the size and layout of the area. In my location, it is rare to be working on a 1/2-1 acre lawn that is all straight lines. My herbicides are often different as well. It is usually 2,4-D ester, Banvel, metsulfuron or some combination of them. I do not use Three-Way amines. Does not work very well here.

jspray
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you are a Pro and on top of spraying uniformly and accurately. A turbo floodjet is not the best and most uniform application and neither is a handgun.

A boom whether walking or self propelled is by far the most uniform.

I am attaching pictures of our walking boom--electric push sprayer and commericial walk sprayer along with curtain, that works on either one, to protect flower beds.

Check out front boom spraying at proedgesprayer.com. Spray in front so you can see what is going on.

greendoctor
01-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I do not have to do 30 acres in one day. At most it is more like one per day. But anything I do has to be done with total precision and control. On most days, the wind blows at 5-10 MPH. In many states, spraying if there is more than a 5 MPH wind isPROHIBITED by state regulation. I am allowed to do what I do provided there are no complaints about drift damage or off target effects. The moment I fancy myself some kind of hot shot, spraying with a tip held high off the ground, putting down only a few gallons per acre, things can change. With low gallonages, your risk of drift drastically increases. I have had no problems in this regard, running 40 GPA, 40 PSI or less and boom/tip height no higher than 16" off the ground. There are less than 100 T&O certified applicators in Honolulu. There are at least 6 DOA Pesticides Division inspectors. I do not want to become known as the applicator who is a drift hazard. I know of some license holders who have been busted for drift, do not want to be in their position. Everything they do thereafter goes under a microscope, after the proctoscope is inserted. I choose to police myself, lest I make it hard for everyone.

jspray
01-24-2009, 09:56 AM
You apparently have your own situation figured out and are successful.

We have sprayed with low volume for 28 years with no claims for drift. We used controlled droplet applicators for years until the new pre-orifice /air inducted tips came out.

We can spray in 15mph winds with these tips and at 5gpa. They are amazing. We also always use crop oil as an adjuvant to help in disposition.

Give the turbo teejet tips a try on your boom. We use TTI11002VP. You will like them.

Good spraying, Bill J.

greendoctor
01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Weeds are also different in my locale also. If I am using a hot mix, it is because of severe infestation by prostrate spurge and oxalis. Low volume sprays do not get enough coverage and are risky for the desirable turf. I wish the only weeds I had were chickweed and dandelion. Then I could put away the metsufuron and Banvel, using a mild Three-Way amine instead.