PDA

View Full Version : new sprayer

bradyard
01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I just bought a used skid sprayer, but I need a gun. What's the best, what nozzle? I am only going to be doing residential lawns. Can anyone help?

ted putnam
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I just bought a used skid sprayer, but I need a gun. What's the best, what nozzle? I am only going to be doing residential lawns. Can anyone help?

What part of Arkansas Homey!

bradyard
01-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Northeast, how bout u

LawnTamer
01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
I have just used the Lesco "chemlawn" gun with a yellow 2gpm nozzle. it is light and works OK, but I am not terribly impressed with it. I imagine there is something better. I carry a rebuild kit right on the truck and have used it. I also carry a jar of Vaseline to keep the valve lubricated. I carry a spare nozzle too. So if my nozzle gets boogered up I can just switch then out and clean it later at the shop instead of in someones driveway. Cutting a patch of pantyhose and using it as a filter between the gun and the nozzle helps too.

KACYDS
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Cutting a patch of pantyhose and using it as a filter between the gun and the nozzle helps too.

Never thought of that, great idea.

Jason Rose
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I have just used the Lesco "chemlawn" gun with a yellow 2gpm nozzle. it is light and works OK, but I am not terribly impressed with it. I imagine there is something better. I carry a rebuild kit right on the truck and have used it. I also carry a jar of Vaseline to keep the valve lubricated. I carry a spare nozzle too. So if my nozzle gets boogered up I can just switch then out and clean it later at the shop instead of in someones driveway. Cutting a patch of pantyhose and using it as a filter between the gun and the nozzle helps too.

I think the old Chemlawn gun is probably as good as it gets. Also the 2gpm yellow nozzle. (for weeds)

That's a great idea about the panty hose for a screen. It drives me nuts when some boogers get stuck in the nozzle and f-up the spray pattern. Of course I may feel a lot funny buying pantyhose...

Also a damn good idea to keep a rebuild kit on hand! I've been cought in the field with a broken gun before... NOT FUN!

ted putnam
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Central. Since you're in the northeast there is a company called GNC Industries(Pocahontas) They have a lawn gun that is much like the Chemlawn gun that Lesco/JDL sells. It's cheaper priced but for all practical purposes is the same. They offer different tips for the different gpm's. All you need to do is decide what gpm you want to spray and calibrate your sprayer to that setting. I spray 2gpm.They have a website that you can order from if it's to far a drive for you. It's snowing here...nobody said anything about snow, just cold. Anyway, hope that helps.

bradyard
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Ted, that's the info I needed

Ric
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Never thought of that, great idea.

Yo

If you are talking about the same ChemLawn gun I have? The nozzle is 3/4 hose bib threads. You can screw on any standard garden hose attachment including using a Washer-Strainer as a filter. BTW I have used a standard adjustable garden nozzle to get a solid stream for spraying trees with that gun.

My personal preference is a wand and not a gun. I like to use the Tee Jet flat tip and change tip size according to the job.

RigglePLC
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Chemlawn gun is fine if you plan to wave the hand back and forth. I add new o-rings to mine in July and install a full rebuild kit every winter. I use a 3/4 " hose connection and short piece of hose to extend my gun by about 10 inches. Keeps most of the solution off your pants. Have a tooth pic or paper clip on hand to clean residue out of the nozzle. Should not be a problem if you use a 325 mesh filter in front of the pump.
Only problem I have had, is the day I was distracted by a customer and got in my truck and drove away. I had not wound up the hose. Imagine my consternation when I looked in the mirror and watched 300 feet of hose drag around a stop sign. Scratched up, but the gun was ok. Never found the nozzle, though.

KACYDS
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Only problem I have had, is the day I was distracted by a customer and got in my truck and drove away. I had not wound up the hose. Imagine my consternation when I looked in the mirror and watched 300 feet of hose drag around a stop sign. Scratched up, but the gun was ok. Never found the nozzle, though.

lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Haven't done that one ................................................... yet!!!!!:dizzy:

Ric
01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Haven't done that one ................................................... yet!!!!!:dizzy:

Just yesterday I did that one for the first time. Only it was my fresh water fill hose and only minor damage to a pvc connector. But I have almost pulled Riggles on several occassions.

ted putnam
01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Here's a "rookie" move. Picture in your mind a tank with mechanical agitation. The rookie was told to lock the trigger and hang the hose down in the tank to let the mix recirculate. Million dollar question: How long does it take for 300' of spray hose to get yanked off of a hose reel by a mechanical agitator running at 1000RPM's? :laugh: Not me...I swear.

KACYDS
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Here's a "rookie" move. Picture in your mind a tank with mechanical agitation. The rookie was told to lock the trigger and hang the hose down in the tank to let the mix recirculate. Million dollar question: How long does it take for 300' of spray hose to get yanked off of a hose reel by a mechanical agitator running at 1000RPM's? :laugh: Not me...I swear.

Is that a trick question.....................lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jason Rose
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM

OMG I about spit my beverage on my screen. That's funny :laugh: Probably not so much at the time though.

Also funny about leaving the hose out and driving off. Embarrasing would be an understatement.

Ric, Why in the heck didn't I ever think to put one of those mesh screen hose washers on the end of the chemlawn gun??? :dizzy: I feel dumb for never thinking of that... For some reason the screen filter either misses some or something. Was a real mess when the diaphrams came apart! Took like an hour or running clear water thru the hose to get all the little pieces flushed out so the gun didn't clog!