PDA

View Full Version : 1996 F250 7.3L Diesel

Paradise Landscapes
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok where to start? mmmmmm. . . . . .
Just bought it last night. Plugged it in last night, This morning I had tried to start it. Low power. Charged batteries. Still the same.

KC2006 came over. Looked at batteries, can't find culprit to why they would still be low on power. Took them to the store for check when KC left. 1 battery was bad. had to buy a new one. Put both batteries in. NOTHING!! No lights no power, or anything.

This is my first diesel truck.

The Elements Group
01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Have you checked the altenater? Also, i had this happen with my 97' check the glow plug relay. is it ticking when you turn the key? Do the lights come on and or the radio? this engine is storng and will last. i have switched to the cummims though. I know the glow plug relay sounds exspensive but it shouldnt be more than 130.00 for the part at an auto parts store. it is also easily located . hope this helps. did you try t ocrank it by by-passing the ignition switch and jumping current? good luck

Paradise Landscapes
01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
No power period. No lights or anything.

WH401
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Have you checked all the fuses?

Paradise Landscapes
01-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll have to check them tomorrow. Where would the fuse panel be at?

Paradise Landscapes
01-15-2009, 08:43 PM
did you try to crank it by by-passing the ignition switch and jumping current? good luck

I don't know how this is done. The alternator is good still.

WH401
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll have to check them tomorrow. Where would the fuse panel be at?

Most likely behind the dash, above the brake pedal. You should be able to look under there and see it.

ALLPro Landscaping
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Check the starter I have a 6.0 and my starter went recently, went to start everything died, charged over night, charger read 100 went to start it everything died

D&B Sharp Finish
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Check your fuses under the hood number 20 can cause your truck to do this...

bigviclbi
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Was it really cold out and it wouldn't turn over right away then died? My block heater was no good, so i would crank it and it wouldn't turn over, it uses the battery up very quickly if that was the case.

kc2006
01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
glow plug relay is new in there, it's 20 bucks at napa and that wouldn't cause it. The block heater is working, i heard it working when i was there, so shes got that going. I'd check fuses like everyone said, make sure you didn't hook the batteries up in series (make sure the red wires are to the +), sounds dumb but people have done it.

But it sounds like fuses or something. It should at least have power to the lights and radio.

And when you have it plugged in, you don't need to wait real long to start it, wait for the light and start. it's when you dont plug it in that you'll have to wait longer.

I'm amazed that this is going on after it sat for 3 weeks and fired right up, then sat for a week again and i drove it for the 3 days prior to you getting it. I'm really lost as to whats wrong with it.

kc2006
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
www.ford-trucks.com

that is your friend, go on their forum and read. Thats pretty much where i learned everything about diesels.

Paradise Landscapes
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
glow plug relay is new in there, it's 20 bucks at napa and that wouldn't cause it. The block heater is working, i heard it working when i was there, so shes got that going. I'd check fuses like everyone said, make sure you didn't hook the batteries up in series (make sure the red wires are to the +), sounds dumb but people have done it.

But it sounds like fuses or something. It should at least have power to the lights and radio.

And when you have it plugged in, you don't need to wait real long to start it, wait for the light and start. it's when you dont plug it in that you'll have to wait longer.

I'm amazed that this is going on after it sat for 3 weeks and fired right up, then sat for a week again and i drove it for the 3 days prior to you getting it. I'm really lost as to whats wrong with it.

I'm looking at thedieselstop.com forum. Everything is hooked up correctly.
Thanks for clearing it up with plugging it in and the glow plug deal thing. I'll be checking out those fuses in the fuse pannel box.

Are there any fuses to check under the hood??
I also guess that the fuel is now jelled. What should I add?
At autozone last night, The rep sold me thisfor 10.00 per bottle:
http://www.powerservice.com/d911/

Well, I'm off to go get new plates for the truck.

White Gardens
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
The 911 stuff works good to get the gelling out of the system. The Same company makes a White-bottle with a red cap, it's a cetane booster and anti-gel, and I use it all the time with no problems, and worked at -20 the other night when I plowed

Add the 911 by direction on the bottle to the tank, and if you think it's truly gelled, then take off the fuel filter and add just a little bit to it.

Do you have a 7.3 Power Stroke or an IDI. I think the main wiring is still the same. So, if that's the case, there is a yellow wire, or hot wire that goes to the ignition, and has a connector on the passenger side wheel well. If it's there, the plug is know to fail, and either cut and splice the connection or replace the plug.

The ignition tumbler is also know to be a sore spot too.

Also, have you checked your main ground wires for the batteries?

Also, on the diesel stop, ask around, I've gotten many wiring diagrams from there for my 87 6.9.

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Its a 96 so its the powerstroke. IDI is 94 and down.

kc2006
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
i doubt the fuel is gelled. they treat fuel around here to be suppossidly good to -20. i havent run any treatment and i started right up this morning. but yea the white bottle is the one u want.

check those manuals i gave u, it should list what fuses are what. i'd check all the big maxi fuses under hood.

Paradise Landscapes
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I found a #25 amp fuse blown in the distribution power box, went out bought a fuse kit and had replaced that fuse. Still no power or anything.
All fuses including the maxi ones are good. Also checked the ones in the fuse panel.

TrinityELC
01-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Ford diesels are finicky with wire connections. Check the relay( ignition switch) on the left side fender. Your batteries plug into this terminal as well as all of your constant power and ignition power sources. God bless you.

Oh yeah, check the main fuse terminal located on you firewall (round plastic with tons of wires) make sure its tight

Paradise Landscapes
01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Problem fixed? I'll know in a few days to see what happens.

I replace 2 batteries KC2006 had in there under warrany. Started right up with no problem. If it dies, it's going to the shop after I have the starter checked then.