PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are apps guys that mow or visa versa?

mngrassguy
01-16-2009, 02:58 AM
And how many apps do you do? I do apps for a lot of mowing guys who only want 3 visits/year. They don't like the excessive growth and don't care if they have a few weeds. whereas, many homeowners like to mow and HATE even a few weeds. Most my res mow accounts get 5-6 visits, while most of my large commercials only get 3.

LawnTamer
01-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Hmmm,
seems to be a few questions both from the title and the body of the post.

I am a spray guy, who added mowing, but fert and squirt is and always has been the heart of my business.

I do 6 apps. That's what I do. I have a few older clients who are grandfathered into fewer apps and are profitable, or a few commercial accounts where I do fewer, but these are rare, 95% of my clients get at least 6 apps. Some of them also get an additional app for fungus control, or grub control. We try to do a lot of add on sprays, but try to combine those with an existing application, so we save drive time. For example, most of our clients get at least one foundation spray around their home for spiders, we usually do that while we are there for a normal treatment, same thing with shrub and tree apps.

KACYDS
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Spray only, no mowing. I do get referrals from guys that just mow. Since I am a one man show, I dont plan on mowing any time soon.

ted putnam
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Spray only, no mowing. I do get referrals from guys that just mow. Since I am a one man show, I dont plan on mowing any time soon.

Same here. The only lawn I mow is my own. I don't ever see myself mowing for $$$. I've never really put a pencil to it but I'm pretty sure I'd lose money considering the time spent mowing vs. lawn apps. If I had a crew that ran its own route and was able to pretty much manage itself...maybe.

Jason Rose
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
-Tried to post this earlier but then the site crashed!-

I'm a mowing guy first, then I do the apps. for most of my mowing customers. I only have a few app. only accounts. If I had the time I'd take on more fertilizing.

The reason I push to do the apps. for my customers is that I can regulate how much fert is being applied and when. Around here, on good turf/soil conditions I can get by with only 3 applications a year, usually 4. I try to keep my lawns looking as good or better than the neghibors. Hate having to deal with another fert company on my lawns, they either over or under apply or apply right before I mow.

Ric
01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I Started mowing part time for pin money. A divorce left me pinned for money and I went full time. I found doing good work customer were no problem and I grew into a Full service company with Irrigation and Fert. I even had a nursery and 20 headaches known as Employees.

A Hurricane blew away the Nursery and wiped out my mind. Now I am a One Man Fert & Squirt band and love it. It will be a cold day in the underworld before I get back into mowing.

timturf
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
And when will you start growing again, and need to hire some employees?

DLAWNS
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I would say I more of a cutting company that also does apps. I have expanded that area of it, though. I fertilize most of my mowing customers and do several houses that I don't mow.

Ric
01-16-2009, 10:45 PM
And when will you start growing again, and need to hire some employees?

Tim

Please don't say that because the idea crosses my mind 2 to 3 times a week. Then I realize what a hassle employee can be. But the truth is I keep thinking to be big again would be great. The reality is I have more money in my pocket as a one man band but my numbers are much lower.

Now if you are hinting to move to Florida and work under my license long enough to sit for the test. We can talk as long as you market in the next town. But that offer is only open to you because we have known each other a long time. Fact is at my age to sell out in a few years might be my best move.

ProLawns
01-16-2009, 11:08 PM
I mow 71 accounts and about 40 of them are on the program. I also do all other aspects landscaping maintenance.

Ducke
01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I do lawn Apps
Lime
Fertilizer
Weed Management
Lawn Insect Control
as well as
Lawn Top Dressing
Lawn Over Seeding
Lawn Renovations

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I decided to get my license for applications after countless times of showing up to mow the same day the chemical company was there. I prefer customers that want complete service but still have some that mow or fertilize only.

grassman177
01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
our company has a property manager approach, we mow, spray etc most everything on the same property with their crew so we all do everything. it gives great results.

i think i mow around 100 or more properties a week and do all the 6 apps for those and then some. i have only the total numbers of treated area and it is like 9 million going ito this year. i do 46 percent of that and mos tof the irigation as well, but one other crew is getting more into that out of so much work.