PDA

View Full Version : Trade show help!

Landscapes8988
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if you guys had any pics or ideas for my booth at a local home show i will be in. booth size will be 8ftx15ft-20ft hardscapes, water features :usflag:

DVS Hardscaper
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
C'mon now......if you can't design a trade show booth, how on earth do you design a job for a client :)

Landscapes8988
01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
C'mon now......if you can't design a trade show booth, how on earth do you design a job for a client :)

Oh i'm sorry i forgot you know everything. First off its tottally different then doing a job. You want to spend little money and you can't bring in stone and dirt dumbass. If you don't have any ideas why you even bother with my post? Get a life! Was just looking for some ideas to catch customers eyes. But apparently your heads up your ass and you can't see that. Don't have anything good to say then mind your own ******* business! :cool2:

GroundScapesIncorporated
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
our 2008 booth.

Lite4
01-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Here are some ideas from the home and garden show thread over on the lighting forum. I posted these ones from our spring show. There are multiple pages of pics so be sure to keep scrolling through.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=216048&highlight=home+show&page=12

I will start a new thread showing one a did in the fall of 04 too.
Good luck on your show.

Landscapes8988
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
thank you guys

DVS Hardscaper
01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh i'm sorry i forgot you know everything. First off its tottally different then doing a job. You want to spend little money and you can't bring in stone and dirt dumbass. If you don't have any ideas why you even bother with my post? Get a life! Was just looking for some ideas to catch customers eyes. But apparently your heads up your ass and you can't see that. Don't have anything good to say then mind your own ******* business! :cool2:

LOL

You can call me every name in the book, remember, I'm an employer - I get called names every day :)

Seriously, this is the problem with guys dabbeling in hardscapes.

They wanna lay pavers and block - yet they lack creativity, and have no understanding of the elements of design.

But hey! Thanks to the internet, all ya gotta do is log on and someone will be kind enough to tell someone exactly what ta-do! I also love the "how much to charge" threads.

Wanna do a trade show booth?? Ok, well what do you do? It's simple, dude. If you do pavers, water features, and planting.........THEN INCLUDE SUCH THINGS IN THE BLASTED DISPLAY!!!!! Lay it out just like one would for a small, confined property.

yardmanlee
01-17-2009, 10:09 AM
our 2008 booth.

James, whatcha got planned for this yr. ?

kootoomootoo
01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
One tip is to visit other shows and take a camera. I might head out of state to see what some other guys are doing.

I have a 40x15 space to work with this yr.....Have design pretty much down.
Trying to come up with something different.

Sometimes what I see in a booth that catches my eye doesnt always catch a homeowners eyes.

Fiano Landscapes
01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
We were one of three companies chosen to be part of The Belgard Challenge at our show. Here are some of the pictures from our booth. We had I believe 60-70,000 people through the competition. They vote on their way out for their favorite booth. We won, and now get to go back this year for free. Hopefully we can win again. We have a very nice design for this year.

Fiano Landscapes
01-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Here are a couple more photos.

Lite4
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful display. I hope you generated a lot of work off that one.

Fiano Landscapes
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
We did generate alot of business off of it. Not to mention that now that we won the Belgard Challenge, we get the booth space portion of things this year for free. That saves us about $4,000 this year for our booth space.

Landscapes8988
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Fiano, looks great how did you raise the display up without fill?

Lite4
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
When doing hardscape displays, you can't raise it up without fill. You build em just like you would at a customers house. There are no shortcuts when doing home show displays like this. It is a ton of work with very limited time with everybody in your way fighting for the same doorway or corridor. Give yourself plenty of time for setup with all hands on deck. Your material staging and planning has to be incredibly good if you are going to tackle a large display like this.

Landscapes8988
01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
so your telling me that the show people are gonna let me bring in fill? I didn't think they would. however they didn't say i couldn't. See this is my problem, i only get one day to set up and they won't allow my equipment there. only get 2 hours of forklift time from them! This is why i am asking for help. Hell if i could do some of the work i've done in the past 8 years inside a show i'd be golden.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I've never built a water feature for a home show. My plan if I do a show ever again is to od a raised bed and you use sand bags to form the walls in a pond and waterfall situation. If your good with lumber you can build a raised area with framing but the weight of some paver and block limit your size.

Although I hate homeshows for the fact of the reasons above and the running around aspect.

Fiano Landscapes
01-17-2009, 11:41 PM
We actually have about a week to set everything up inside. The display is also not quite the same as you would perform in the field. We built the walls around the booth space, and used plastic sheeting almost like a liner. Then we filled the entire thing in with sand. There is actually about 32" of sand below the entire thing. We used 3 crew members to build this display. We were going to bring more in, but they would have been in the way. It does sound though like I have alot more time than you do, so you might have to bring in every available hand to help. Hopefully you have really good success with your show. It presents great oportunity, if used correctly.

bigviclbi
01-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Beautiful display Fiano, you must have mucho denero in that display. No website in your profile, do you have one? With the quality of your work you need to get one.

Fiano Landscapes
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
We only have a coming soon page right now. The people building our site are supposed to start in the next couple neeks on building it, They said it would take about 6-8 weeks to complete. You are dead on though websites are super important to our industry. Not only having one, but a very nice an easy to navigate one as well. Thanks for your compliments also! I think we ended up with about $12,000 invested in this display. It is a very big commitment.

kootoomootoo
01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
$12,000.

How do you figure that?

Lite4
01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
$12,000.

How do you figure that?

Most contractors usually go by the old school way of labor and material. How do you figuire it?

Fiano Landscapes
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
$12,000.

How do you figure that?

This is what we spent on material, construction, man hrs (to build the booth, and man the booth , and to tear down the booth), fuel needed to get our equipment to and from the show, signage and brochures and business cards, etc.

bigviclbi
01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
That is a good chunk of change but it looks like it works for you. Can't wait to see the website, I really need to get mine updated as well. Man I hope this year isn't a waste of advertising money.

kootoomootoo
01-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Most contractors usually go by the old school way of labor and material. How do you figuire it?

I get Material for any Show for free.
I just have to return it after show. This is normal.

Even if you bought material for the show ....theoretically it will be used on a job
at a later point. Hence reducing cost of show.

Lite4
01-19-2009, 03:50 PM
I get Material for any Show for free.
I just have to return it after show. This is normal.

Even if you bought material for the show ....theoretically it will be used on a job
at a later point. Hence reducing cost of show.

I guess that is one way to look at it but the customer may not want that exact block or that exact paver color. I have had material sit around for 2 years before it ever got sold on a job. You will no doubt still have to pay some fixed (non-material costs). If you can get the materials comped that's fantastic. I have just never had that kind of luck here though. I guess they feel if they do it for one they have to do it for all.

Landscapes8988
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
i just got an e-mail from my block supplier and they will either

- bring to me what i need and deliver it and pick it up for free and only charge me for cut bricks.
OR
- i can purchase for 35% off my price and they deliver for free.

thats great!

Fiano Landscapes
01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Our block suppliers will do the same thing for us as well. It is a very nice thing. But our cedar supplier won't do anything for us a far as discount, or donated material. The cedar package for this booth was almost $2k. The lighting package was chosen specifically for the overall theme of the booth. It cost me $1,200. The plants for the booth cost me $2k. The water feature components cost me about $500. Then my booth space was $4k. Not to mention the labor expense that was involved in building the booth. Also the driving cost back and forth to the show for about 2.5 weeks. Also the business cards that were passed out, and brochures. It doesn't matter what you sell in the next month, or two after the show. It still requires you to write the checks to receive the material needed for the show. That is also with the paver, and block material being used for free.

Lite4
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I believe it. I have done about 12 of these shows and they are not cheap.

kootoomootoo
01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not doubting the costs ...just curious how the $12k figure was arrived at.

All depends on your relationship with your dealer....I am "borrowing" material...borrowed means no outlay. I couldnt speak highly enough of my dealer. Borrowed $10,000 in material last yr.

Sure cedar would be nice but so is treated with redwood stain.
I can borrow a water feature...even return the stone. Did this last yr.

Trees and shrubs cant borrow....but can be had dirt cheap...little secret this one.

Having Material sitting around for 2 yrs after a show is just poor management.
Use pavers you typically sell...this depends on how many paver jobs you do though.
I already have the lighting sold I am using at the show. Call it a test run.

bigviclbi
01-20-2009, 09:39 AM
koot- Got pics of any of your setups that you have done? Sounds like you have a great dealer relationship, I can't believe they let you re-pallet the materials. Do they reband them or re-wrap them before they sell them again? I try to use stuff I know i can sell, but it doesn't always work out. I would say this year will probably be a good year to wheel and deal with freebies from suppliers to help push their products.

kootoomootoo
01-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Yep everything gets shrink wrapped and they come pick it up.
If we get a delivery that spring and it has been shrink wrapped we know where it came from....but who can tell. I will find some pics.

DVS Hardscaper
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
now, kinda veering off the main topic at hand, but within the subject - there are some logistics to keep in mind when doing home shows.

In our area, there are at least 3 different home or lawn and garden trade shows in the spring, and 1 in the fall.

Ok, well there are contractors that participate in every show. And to me that doesn't make fiscal sense. As some shows are flops. Just because Billy Bob's Great Outdoors is doing a show - doesn't mean you have to. Think it through and do what's going to make you MONEY....not COST you money.

When you do a trade show you need to factor in the fact that you have to pay your crew(s) to set up. In most cases, this takes 1 to 2 days. You then have to pay the crew(s) to tear down, this usually takes 1 day. Now, you've paid for the booth, paid for 3 days of labor, and you've LOST billable field production time. If you were to break down the expenses and compare them to the TRUE profit made on a job generated from a trade show sale - you'll see you probably just barely broke even.

Definitely you wanna do the biggest show that draws the most foot traffic. But, I suggest you think long and hard, and do the math - before you sign up for every show that comes your way.

Something else - Home show traffic has dwindelled over the years. Now, I know many here have had success with home shows.

But....thanks to the internet, people are shopping for home improvement services from the comfort of their homes. It's a FACT that home show and trade show traffic has greatly declined. 10 years ago we used to nearly book 6 months of work from 1 local home show. About 5 years ago our contact list started getting shorter and shorter and the sales grew less and less as each year passed by.

wurkn with amish
01-20-2009, 12:39 PM
koot what show are you doing?
my supplier isn't quite as nice but they work with
me. pay up front 50% off and just return material undamaged for
a full refund.

GroundScapesIncorporated
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
James, whatcha got planned for this yr. ?

Lee,
Gonna keep it real simple as usual. Maybe do a fireplace with some stick on veneer stone that Techo just introduced to us at the showcase in Richmond today. Gonna have a little peice of sod in the front corner, I really thought the sod set the booth off, softened it up I guess.

How is buisness for you guys?

James

JimLewis
01-22-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes. I have a ton of photos from a home and garden show from about a year ago. I hadn't ever done one and was studying up on how other Landscapers and Hardscapers did theirs so I could prepare for mine this year. I probably have a good 30 or more photos of different displays. PM me with your email address and I'll send the photos to you.

yardmanlee
01-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Lee,
Gonna keep it real simple as usual. Maybe do a fireplace with some stick on veneer stone that Techo just introduced to us at the showcase in Richmond today. Gonna have a little peice of sod in the front corner, I really thought the sod set the booth off, softened it up I guess.

How is buisness for you guys?

James

things have been super slow this month. we finished all our clean ups before Christmas and had a couple of small jobs here and there. I met w/ a landscape architect last week and she has 3 decent size jobs for us to look at. how bout ya'll do you have much going on ? Need any help ?
give me a call sometime

STRINGALATION
01-26-2009, 02:31 AM
man i love lawnsite.com i never thought about a donation / loaner type relationship. well incase your budget is along the lines of mine here you are

and i have already be chastised about my construction on my thread so save it

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/STRINGALATION/HPIM1054.jpg

kootoomootoo
01-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Yes. I have a ton of photos from a home and garden show from about a year ago. I hadn't ever done one and was studying up on how other Landscapers and Hardscapers did theirs so I could prepare for mine this year. I probably have a good 30 or more photos of different displays. PM me with your email address and I'll send the photos to you.

I emailed you twice but never got the photos.

STRINGALATION
01-26-2009, 03:05 AM
kootoo is that AL BUNDY

JimLewis
01-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I emailed you twice but never got the photos.

When I made that offer, I was talking to the guy who started this thread. Presumbly, he was looking for ideas for his upcoming show.

I never received an email from him. I received an email from a few others. But I've got like 30 photos. It will take me half an hour to find them, resize them, and send them off. And I just didn't plan on doing it for those who just wanted to see some neat photos.

Now if Landscapes8988 ends up sending me his email addy then I'll send him the photos and CC you as well. But otherwise, I got more important stuff taking up my time these days.

Maybe if I get a few minutes free in the next few days I'll just upload them all to this thread...... But you gotta take the Obama Land thing off. I've got a serious case of Obama fatigue already. And you're just making it worse! :usflag:

kootoomootoo
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Put them on Photobucket....you have b4.

When I made that offer, I was talking to the guy who started this thread. Presumbly, he was looking for ideas for his upcoming show.

I never received an email from him. I received an email from a few others. But I've got like 30 photos. It will take me half an hour to find them, resize them, and send them off. And I just didn't plan on doing it for those who just wanted to see some neat photos.

Now if Landscapes8988 ends up sending me his email addy then I'll send him the photos and CC you as well. But otherwise, I got more important stuff taking up my time these days.

Maybe if I get a few minutes free in the next few days I'll just upload them all to this thread...... But you gotta take the Obama Land thing off. I've got a serious case of Obama fatigue already. And you're just making it worse! :usflag:

kootoomootoo
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
kootoo is that AL BUNDY

You mean Al Bundy who scored four touchdowns "in a single game" while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School.

yes.