PDA

View Full Version : Did I bid fair or was I to low

packey
01-16-2009, 06:27 PM
I was asked yesterday to bid a sod install (labor only). The customer is purchasing the sod and is doing the dirt work. I gave him a quote of .33 cents per sqft to install does this sound right? The reason I ask is he came back with a emphatic yes as well as man you are cheaper than the others. This spooked me a little when I heard this so I am just wantin to get some honest feedback

topsites
01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I haven't a clue as to what the rates for sod installation are,
but I can tell you that you did bid way too low.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I was asked yesterday to bid a sod install (labor only). The customer is purchasing the sod and is doing the dirt work. I gave him a quote of .33 cents per sqft to install does this sound right? The reason I ask is he came back with a emphatic yes as well as man you are cheaper than the others. This spooked me a little when I heard this so I am just wantin to get some honest feedback

I would say if all you absolutely have to do is unroll the sod, than I would think for a single worker .33/sq. ft. doesn't sound too horrible, thats $330 for every 1k/sq. ft. or 100 rolls, and depending on how fast you are, okay your making about $30/hour I'm guessing, yeah, thats not great.

packey
01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
the last sod I installed was close to 1 pallet in an hour and a half that is 500 sq ft. On this job I have a helper and together we will throu around 1000 sq ft in roughly over an hour I have 5000 sq ft to throw

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
the last sod I installed was close to 1 pallet in an hour and a half that is 500 sq ft. On this job I have a helper and together we will throu around 1000 sq ft in roughly over an hour I have 5000 sq ft to throw

Well then, $1650 for 5-6 hours of work and 2 guys, that sounds pretty decent to me!

AGLA
01-16-2009, 09:56 PM
I can not imagine that someone would go through doing all of the labor to prepare 5,000 square feet of ground and then turnaround and pay 33 cents a square foot to have someone lay it. I think one of you is not entirely clear on what is expected for that money.

Sod is expensive in my area and costs about 33 cents to buy it (delivered but not laid). The rate for supplying 4-6" of loam, fine grading it, supplying the sod, and laying it runs at between $1 and $1.50 per square foot from reputable companies. It is much less from start up companies and smaller mow, blow, and go guys who pick up installation jobs from time to time.

I have the feeling that your customer either expects you to do the prep work or thinks you are including the cost of the sod.

PROCUT1
01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Only you know the answer to that question. Not one single person on this board can tell you .

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256791

TXNSLighting
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeh i think youre way to low.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Can I ask what "VP of the motht" is?

AGLA
01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm going out on a limb to assume that one of the "T"s is for truck.

That is a balzy looking truck. Perhaps it stands for My Other Truck Has Ti.....s?

TXNSLighting
01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: It stands for VP of max out the hits thread...This has been a very boring winter needless to say...:(

packey
01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I spoke with the customer again just trying to nail down everything exactly. This is going to be one of those interesting jobs. He thinks he can do the dirt work himself and is convinced that he will not need any top soil. I looked over his lot and I am not sure I feel he is like many and believes the sod will do fine on any soil. I did make sure and clarify that the .33 cents per sq ft was just simply for trowing the sod and that if their was any issues with the preped area or the sod does not do well I will not be held responsible. After this the customer said well I still want you to install the sod and I will take responsibility for the dirt work. so who knows?. To help make sure every one knows I gave this customer my prices for the following.
simple labor for installing sod on preped area is .33 cents per square ft
If I provide the sod it is .66 cents per sq ft
If I was to do final grade work with top soil added and sod installed it would be 2 dollars per sq ft.

I understand many think I am low so how would you price this. I am not wanting to gain a rep as a low baller but as an honest landscaper.

EagleLandscape
01-17-2009, 07:35 PM
3 bucks a yard just to lay it, materials included? man, I'd be all over that. we'd like to get 4-5, but 3 a yard is still fine. however, the sod needs to be placed by skidsteer at the located where you are laying it. little to no wheeled barrow if possible.

the lowest we will install sod for, if we do not do prep is 6 a yard. it costs us 3 a yard.

one guy can lay 120 yards himself in an hour easy. 120*3 is 360 an hour.

EagleLandscape
01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
I spoke with the customer again just trying to nail down everything exactly. This is going to be one of those interesting jobs. He thinks he can do the dirt work himself and is convinced that he will not need any top soil. I looked over his lot and I am not sure I feel he is like many and believes the sod will do fine on any soil. I did make sure and clarify that the .33 cents per sq ft was just simply for trowing the sod and that if their was any issues with the preped area or the sod does not do well I will not be held responsible. After this the customer said well I still want you to install the sod and I will take responsibility for the dirt work. so who knows?. To help make sure every one knows I gave this customer my prices for the following.
simple labor for installing sod on preped area is .33 cents per square ft
If I provide the sod it is .66 cents per sq ft
If I was to do final grade work with top soil added and sod installed it would be 2 dollars per sq ft.

I understand many think I am low so how would you price this. I am not wanting to gain a rep as a low baller but as an honest landscaper.

you're prices are right in line with mine, but we some low priced commercial stuff sometime. for residential i might try and get another $1 per yard, but you defintely wont go broke by installing at your current price.

packey
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
well I guess it does not matter now I spoke with the customer yesterday and I was told I could have the job if I matched another bid. this was for .10 cents a square ft. well needless to say I am not starving yet. I actually thought he was lying and then did some checking and this company who bid so low is doing this all over the area.ouch

PSUturf
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
$0.33 per sq. ft. for installing sod (not including supplying sod or grading) is a good price for you. Whoever is doing it for $0.10 is screwing themselves and driving down the price for other contractors in the area.

STRINGALATION
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
here sod is .21 psqft resi. i charge .41 psqft thats 2050 no prep
now that company doing for .10 and nothing but slanging is according to the math above of 5 hours work is making 100 an hour now that is not horrible. packey will get at 5 hrs 330 per hour seems high for unrolling sod. now i could be wrong but here only a few sod companies and cmmercial work want to pay less than i can buy it for because one of the sod guys here loves to slang it. i have had them come and lay it for me and made some coin doing nothing. my helper did not like it because he made nothing but i got 350 for a phone call so i'm not sure about his area that is key to any advice. pppl fromyour area help best

JimmyStew
02-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I haven't a clue as to what the rates for sod installation are,
but I can tell you that you did bid way too low.

That makes a lot of sense!

Lawnut101
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
What does sod usually go for per sq. ft to install it?

KCLawnTamers
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
You arent to far off.. I do alot of sod.. ainly big rolls, we only do hand rolls in tight areas or small jobs.. We install for .77 a sq.ft from start to finish.. I purchase it for .17 a sq.ft.. If I would have bid it, I would go .40-.44 a sq.ft..