PDA

View Full Version : Ford F 550

pagreen
01-17-2009, 02:25 AM
hey everyone i am in the process of looking for a 450/550 and wanted to get some opinions or guidence on what i should be looking for. i pretty much know i want a truck that size because of the gvw. it will be used mainly for mulch, clean ups, and misc landscape maintenance.(i might haul stone a 5-10 times a month) and i just dont want anything that i am going to out grow or overload on a daily basis. back to the f550....i either want a stake body or grain with side access because i think they are the most pratical for what i need. i am generaly a gm guy but dont want a big honkin gmc 5500 because i still need to be able to pull my enclosed somedays, thats what brings me back to the 550. now for money and other reasons i am looking for a 2000 or older 550 with the 7.3 and i want to spend under 14000 ish... what i found and think is a pretty good deal is a 99 with 110k 12 ft stake body, new rear tires, fuel tank and breaks. asking price is just what the guy owes since he already got new dump and does not want to make 2 payments anymore. the payoff is around 12,000....... what does everyone think and what else should i be looking for with this truck. most 550s i see are alot more... i have not had any luck looking for the value of this truck on kbb or other ratings sites so what does everyone think about this deal? thanks in advance for any comments/concerns/professional input i def need it with this one.....

White Gardens
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
hey everyone i am in the process of looking for a 450/550 and wanted to get some opinions or guidence on what i should be looking for. i pretty much know i want a truck that size because of the gvw. it will be used mainly for mulch, clean ups, and misc landscape maintenance.(i might haul stone a 5-10 times a month) and i just dont want anything that i am going to out grow or overload on a daily basis. back to the f550....i either want a stake body or grain with side access because i think they are the most pratical for what i need. i am generaly a gm guy but dont want a big honkin gmc 5500 because i still need to be able to pull my enclosed somedays, thats what brings me back to the 550. now for money and other reasons i am looking for a 2000 or older 550 with the 7.3 and i want to spend under 14000 ish... what i found and think is a pretty good deal is a 99 with 110k 12 ft stake body, new rear tires, fuel tank and breaks. asking price is just what the guy owes since he already got new dump and does not want to make 2 payments anymore. the payoff is around 12,000....... what does everyone think and what else should i be looking for with this truck. most 550s i see are alot more... i have not had any luck looking for the value of this truck on kbb or other ratings sites so what does everyone think about this deal? thanks in advance for any comments/concerns/professional input i def need it with this one.....

Values for a truck like this are going to be subjective at the best. It all depends on any extra equipment the truck has such as a plow, dump bed, etc.... I have an 87 F-350, plow, dump bed, nice shape, and a guy offered to buy it for 5 grand, and it's 22 years old.

Are you prepared to spend the money on licensing the F-550. The higher the GVWR, the more it is, and you might have to get a CDL in order to drive it.

Go with the 450, if it was my choice.

Or. if you want to save the hassle of another vehicle, go buy a large dump trailer that you can haul 4-6 tons on. Much cheaper, less maintenance and it's a little more usable for hauling equipment.

MileHigh
01-17-2009, 11:02 AM
ummm last lime I checked a license was required for 26,000 gvw.

A f550 is around 19,000...You will for sure need a DOT number.

I think you might have to be a candidate for a cdl license if your pulling a trailer with your 550 above 7000 gvwr...most tandem axles start @ 3500# an axle, cause then your GVW would be 26000 requiring a license.

Evan528
01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
You have to keep in mind the GVW of the truck if you plan on towing with it. A f550+ an eclosed trailer will probably put you into the combined weight catagory needing a CDL (over 26,000LBS). I will be in the market for a large dump in the next year but plan on staying at the 450 level just for this reason. I think f-450 has a GVW of around 19,000LBS (?). If I need to pull my 7,000LB landscape trailer with it once in a while I will fall just short of the CDL weight limit..... I wont be able to pull my 10K GVW dump trailer with it though. The cops around us have really cracked down on these DOT regulations so make sure are you T's are crossed and your I's are dotted or they will get you!

MileHigh
01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
So the question is this....

How big is your trailer?

pagreen
01-17-2009, 12:00 PM
yea everyone brings up very good points. i already have a dump trailer and the reason i want to get a truck is because as my company grows or as i want it to grow a dump trailer brings in no money because you still need a truck to pull it. i rather have a 2nd truck with the ability to grow and hire another part time person to drive that truck and do small maintenance jobs through out the week. with the dump trailer i would always have to be with it bucause 2 trailers and 1 truck dont not always work out.

What do you guys think about the deal...99 ford f 550 7.3 with 100k dump steak body rec service what new breaks, rear tires, new fuel tank. truck is in very good condition for being a 99 and a work truck. i am pretty anal about my equipment and truck and its not a beat up truck. price is about $12,000?????????????????

Scag413
01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
atleast for my area that is a great deal...i would jump on it!

Evan528
01-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a good deal. I would be prepared though to have to put a few thousand into the truck off the bat to get everything in tip top shape. 100K is about the time when little odds and ends need replacing. Alternator, starter, ball joints, hubs etc. I would highly recomend having a local mechanic do an inspection before you purchase it... better to be educated about the truck you are about to purchase and know what your getting.

TXNSLighting
01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, how many people can say the exact same thing...

Truck is a great deal. As stated get it checked out by a mechanic, and goto a ford site like: www.superdutydiesel.com or www.ford-trucks.com and have them pull the oasis report. (Just give one of the mods the vin) Good luck.

South Florida Lawns
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I love Florida, tons of companies run 550's and I never see a dot. Its all dump beds with 5 ft. mesh sides pulling an enclosed. The truck is lettered and the trailers are almost never lettered. Maybe its for security or to keep DOT away.

Evan528
01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
TXNS, I think a few of us were replying to the thread at the same time....therfore multiple responces were the same.

TXNSLighting
01-17-2009, 06:41 PM
TXNS, I think a few of us were replying to the thread at the same time....therfore multiple responces were the same.

It was a joke...

Gravel Rat
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
I would say go for it. The 99 was the first year for the 550 but that shouldn't be a problem. The truck probaby has the 17,000lb gvw which is fine. What I put on a 2001 550 would exceed the gvw and it handled it fine.

If you buy the truck and start driving it and figure this thing is gutless that really isn't case put a load on it and it doesn't slow down.

As for insurance its not going to be any cheaper than a F-450.

MileHigh
01-18-2009, 03:00 AM
f550 plus any capable dump trailer = cdl license

26k gvwr

pagreen
01-18-2009, 03:12 PM
thanks for all in the info guys.. for a few years at least the truck will not be pulling a dump trailer and my enclosed is only rated for 7000 lbs so i will be under cdl. once i get a dump truck i will be selling my dump trailer. no need for both....

johnnybravo8802
01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
You have to keep in mind the GVW of the truck if you plan on towing with it. A f550+ an eclosed trailer will probably put you into the combined weight catagory needing a CDL (over 26,000LBS). I will be in the market for a large dump in the next year but plan on staying at the 450 level just for this reason. I think f-450 has a GVW of around 19,000LBS (?). If I need to pull my 7,000LB landscape trailer with it once in a while I will fall just short of the CDL weight limit..... I wont be able to pull my 10K GVW dump trailer with it though. The cops around us have really cracked down on these DOT regulations so make sure are you T's are crossed and your I's are dotted or they will get you!
How does Brickman get away with this? I know they run 450's but there can't be much difference.

nosparkplugs
01-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Sometimes buy not stepping up in truck class you can tow or haul more GTWR with a lighter GVWR.You should always be looking for ways to lower your GVWR to increase your GTWR. Aluminum dumps are a great example of this, or 2wd 3/4 or SRW 1 ton towing a gooseneck dump trailer.

Their is a balance between GVWR and GTWR to get CGVWR, If you follow the FMCSA Guidelines for the class of truck your operating, sometimes you can still get the job done without a 4500/5500. Truckers hate the 2500-5500 series; because these trucks legally cut into their money good CGVWR less cost to operate. I listen to it weekly my Brother is a truck driver he's driven everything on the road.

You can never have too much truck I agree; however you have to pay to play. I know for me I would be in a 5500 5 years ago if I could have afforded it.

Twitchy
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a 2006 f 550 and love it, it's an animal. The truck will haul and pull what ever you put in it. Here in NY you have to run DOT #'s on the truck though. I wouldn't worry about the cdl requirements because you kinda fly under the radar w/ a small truck. I pull a S250 bobcat w/ the truck and never had a problem w/ weight or out of class operation.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
You can get away with more things with a Ford F-450 F-550 over a Chevy 4500-5500 because you can hide in traffic. The Fords look like a P/U truck from a distance.