PDA

View Full Version : Henbit Control

bruces10
01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Need help controlling henbit. Any advice will be appreciated.

turfsurfer
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Henbit is easy. Any good 3-way product will knock it out.

RigglePLC
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Henbit is a winter annual. Hit it in the fall.
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Henbit.aspx

meomypete
01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
If the grass is dormant for the winter. use glyphosate (1 oz per 1000sq ft.) or and dicamba. Aim is also good to mix. It is a very hard to do in the spring. Us a good crop oil or sufactant because the leaf is waxie and hairy.

Marcos
01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Folks who have repeated trouble with henbit, chickweed, crabgrass, foxtail, et.al. probably don't have the proper density of turf to effectively crowd out these types of weeds in the 1st place.

The 1st line of defense in managing weeds is NOT the use of chemicals!

The 1st line of defense in managing weeds is a thick, healthy, actively growing stand of turf, period!

greendoctor
01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Folks who have repeated trouble with henbit, chickweed, crabgrass, foxtail, et.al. probably don't have the proper density of turf to effectively crowd out these types of weeds in the 1st place.

The 1st line of defense in managing weeds is NOT the use of chemicals!

The 1st line of defense in managing weeds is a thick, healthy, actively growing stand of turf, period!

This is something we agree on. I do it by ensuring proper irrigation, mowing and precise management of nutrients. There are many lawns that I maintain that have not been sprayed for broadleaf weeds for almost 2 years and crabgrass is not a problem. The only places I do have the need to apply regularly is in spots that are too shady for grass to grow thick.

bruces10
01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Turfdoctor1
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
completely depends on the type of grass you are managing.

on Bermuda/zoysia grass, the best henbit control is applying Simazine as a pre-emergent in the fall ~ November.

I would have to disagree with others that say henbit is an easy weed control with post-emergents in the winter. That's not my experience. Manor is the best control, but very slow. 3-way with a good sticker is effective as well, but is very weather dependent.

Turfdoctor1
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that henbit is my single favorite plant in the whole universe. In the spring, it is by far the biggest reason people pick up the phone and call me. Then, they think I'm a genius when I get rid of it--even though it would have been gone on its own in a matter of weeks anyway!

greendoctor
01-17-2009, 10:30 PM
completely depends on the type of grass you are managing.

on Bermuda/zoysia grass, the best henbit control is applying Simazine as a pre-emergent in the fall ~ November.

I would have to disagree with others that say henbit is an easy weed control with post-emergents in the winter. That's not my experience. Manor is the best control, but very slow. 3-way with a good sticker is effective as well, but is very weather dependent.

On certain hard to kill weeds, I prefer metsulfuron(Manor, Blade). Warm season grasses tolerate this much better than Three-Way. Simazine or atrazine is also something I have good turf tolerance with.

ted putnam
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that henbit is my single favorite plant in the whole universe. In the spring, it is by far the biggest reason people pick up the phone and call me. Then, they think I'm a genius when I get rid of it--even though it would have been gone on its own in a matter of weeks anyway!

Same here...gotta love it! payup