PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

J & D Greens
01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi My name is David
I grew up working on a professional lawn maintenance crew. My mother got my brother and I this job when I was 13yrs. old and I worked for him for about 9yrs. Back in the early 70's the Japanese gardeners really had this kind of work dialed in and it was a great experience to work for this man. I loved doing this kind of work and now that I am getting close to retiring from my full-time job and I am returning to something I love to do (lawn maintenance). Even though we have to put up with all kinds of adversity working in this field there comes a sense of satisfaction when you know you've done a good job for your customer and the property looks great. I am doing this part time right now as I still have a few years left at my full-time job. What is nice though is that I am learning a lot about what it is going to take to be successful by doing it on a smaller scale first ( I have 18 accounts + mine to do weekly). This will be my 3rd. season and I can't wait for it to swing into gear. Out here in Colorado their is about a 3 month lay-off do to winter. You can work on some things but mostly just getting prepared for the season. I look forward to sharing info. and stories about what is going on in our lives and work. Thanks to Lawnsite and everyone who uses this forum in a manner that is of encouragement to all who just wants to succeed in this industry at what ever scale they choose. Keep up the good work, Dave

DLAWNS
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the site. Good luck to you and I look forward to speaking with you.

TCO
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome David !!

J & D Greens
05-02-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm usually one to be cautious, but as I have been hoping for the day to come when I would be able to make a GO of my lawn service full-time. Out of no ware I find myself doing just that. I was waiting to retire when I turned 50yrs old (Feb. 15) when the company changed the age requirement up to 55yrs old (Dec.31, 2009). So just about three days ago I get a call from the Union stating that I could retire if I terminate my employment by April 30 and submit my paper work to them for retirement by then. My wife and I are still reeling over making this leap. I'm looking to take my part-time biz from 20 accounts to 45 accounts by the end of this season. I know it is a little late to go after accounts. but all this went down with out a warning. My son already put out hundreds of flyer's with a friend over the same neighborhood I currently have all my customers in. We want to target another area. So Monday I am going to go there and paper that neighborhood as well.

I will be seeking to get big enough to make it so my wife will be able to retire also from her job. Wow I still can't believe I have just taken this leap of faith that god will see us through the tough times we might face.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to you all!!! David