PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pest Control-Restaurant and Hotel

cpel2004
01-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Have any of you guys worked for Ecolab Pest eliminations division. If not how many of you guys service commercial accounts ie Hotels and Restaurants.

Ric
01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Have any of you guys worked for Ecolab Pest eliminations division. If not how many of you guys service commercial accounts ie Hotels and Restaurants.

Cpel

We have talked about this one on one so you know my opinion. But to maybe get others interest I will type some of my opinions.

First Lawnsite doesn't offer a structural Pest Control forum, so this would be the closest forum to structural pest control. Food Service Pest Control is a must have if a kitchen is to serve healthy food. While sanitation is key to Pest Control, Commercial Kitchens have problems keeping things perfectly clean. Therefore service calls are pretty regular each week. Product cost is low and Margins can be very high. Well this can be a very lucrative business it has minor draws backs. First most service calls are done after hours or at night. Liablity of toxic contamination is also possible. Therefore Food service Pest Control becomes a very specialized industry. Hotels are having Bed Bug problems due to newer chemicals that don't target Bed Bugs but do an excellent job on Ants and Cockroaches. Therefore Hotels have special needs as do kitchens. Once again special training which helps keep the Field free of competition.

Big Cities already have companies that specialize in Restaurants and Hotels. But smaller towns are wide open market areas that would rather deal with a local guy than the Big Boy.

cpel2004
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey Ric, by the way I still owe you that drink. Im just trying to start some conversation and find out more about LS members. I got to get adjusted to the football season coming to the end, Im not yet ready for basketball.

olive123
01-18-2009, 07:21 AM
i had done rest, comm work for years. If you are not going to specialize, forget it. Very difficult business. If there is a problem you are needed NOW. Late nights that you end up dreading. Ahole managers standing over you because all they want to do is go home. Also there are a lot of problems is that industry that are very difficult to control. I mean in lawncare you do not have full control of watering sometimes mowing etc. but when you cannot control sanitation, its all over...end of game. You want to talk frustrating? Get a case of funguis gnats, and or drain flies. Try to explain why there is roaches in the prep room in that bagel resturaunt when there are 20lbs of raw rotten bagel dough laying behind the rotted out freezer that hasnt been moved in 3 years. Oh and there are cigarette beetles infested in the giant bins they store flour in.
um let me stop here...im just loving my 7-3 job right now.
the biggest problem is very low in loyalty. You their best guy till something happens then, "well i got this quote from T.N. today and they said..."
and you know that sales man knows his ass from his elbow.
my .03 cents...............