PDA

View Full Version : Timber bridges

Lite4
01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
These are a couple of bridges I built about 11 years ago. Same time and same development as the timber entryway. I built a total of 12 of these bridges around the 500 acre property for pedestrian and equestrian travel. These babies were tough, I could drive the pictured skid steer across them without any problems all day long. You never see any pics of me as I was the only field employee and most always worked alone unless I needed a hand with something. My wife snapped some pics of me on one of her trips up to visit me. Enjoy

This first set: These pics are a sequence of two bridges that were about 2000' apart. We had poured the concrete piers 2 weeks prior to this point. Also notice the 1" ready bolt coming out of the top. We will need those to attach our log girders.

Lite4
01-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Log girders are notched and attatched to the piers.

4"x10" planks are attatched to the logs.

I fabbed and painted the brackets you see being used for the post and railing supports. It took me about 2 days of cutting, welding and painting to get brackets for 1 bridge completed. Those were fun shop days. I love welding!

Lite4
01-17-2009, 07:23 PM
The rail assembly is finished. and the bridges are stained.

Me standing on the lower bridge.

Lite4
01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
The upper bridge completed. I was pretty happy with how these turned out. They are still there and working great for the horse traffic on the trails. I built about 5 miles of 10' wide road grade equestrian trails throughout the park and all the properties.

LindblomRJ
01-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Nice work. Looks like a really fun project.

Lite4
01-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks, The whole project was a really unique opportunity. This development is about an hours drive north out of Boise. It was so quiet and peaceful everyday. The only sound I heard was the the ocassional bird and the wind in the pine trees.

LindblomRJ
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks, The whole project was a really unique opportunity. This development is about an hours drive north out of Boise. It was so quiet and peaceful everyday. The only sound I heard was the the ocassional bird and the wind in the pine trees.

I have always enjoyed that county North of Boise. One of my dad's cousins lived in Salmon for quite a while.

Bru75
01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice bridges! Beautiful country up there!

Fiano Landscapes
01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Very nice work! Wow! What a nice place to work for a few days. Hopefully our next project is in as cool as a place as this one.

Lite4
01-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Very nice work! Wow! What a nice place to work for a few days. Hopefully our next project is in as cool as a place as this one.

Thanks,
I actually spent 3 straight years up there working on that project. I was the only employee, so the owner and I did everything. All the underground, all the access roads throughout the 500 acre property, equestrian trails (about 5 miles), 2 model log homes constructed, cutting timber and clearing homesites, bridges, a 5 acre park with ponds and 2 large timber pavilion structures, all the common area irrigation and landscaping, welding, maintaining all of the trucks and heavy equipment, plus all the little incidentals inbetween. This was such a fun project and the owner became like a father to me. It was such a great experience. I worked for him for 7 years but I was married and had a new baby and needed to make more than 10.50 an hour. That has been about 9 years since I left that company.

LindblomRJ
01-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks,
I actually spent 3 straight years up there working on that project. I was the only employee, so the owner and I did everything. All the underground, all the access roads throughout the 500 acre property, equestrian trails (about 5 miles), 2 model log homes constructed, cutting timber and clearing homesites, bridges, a 5 acre park with ponds and 2 large timber pavilion structures, all the common area irrigation and landscaping, welding, maintaining all of the trucks and heavy equipment, plus all the little incidentals inbetween. This was such a fun project and the owner became like a father to me. It was such a great experience. I worked for him for 7 years but I was married and had a new baby and needed to make more than 10.50 an hour. That has been about 9 years since I left that company.

That sounds a lot like what I did years ago. I had a lot of fun. I met a girl and got married and ended up moving away.

Lite4
01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
That sounds a lot like what I did years ago. I had a lot of fun. I met a girl and got married and ended up moving away.

It always amazes me what we give up for our wives and families, but it is totally worth it.

LindblomRJ
01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
It always amazes me what we give up for our wives and families, but it is totally worth it.

That is true. And it doesn't feel like I gave up anything. Rather gained much much more. And I still get to do the work I like. The only gripe I have is the location. But even then its not so bad.

Lite4
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I have never been to South Dakota, but it must be beautiful around the black hills area. I have a friend that moved his family to North Dakota a few years ago. He is a pastor in a church in Fargo or just outside of it. He says it gets insanely cold there, which I can imagine. I grew up in Bozeman Montana. I remember it always being 20 to 40 below zero there in the winter. I think my blood is too thin for those temps now though.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
01-19-2009, 03:52 AM
WOW that scenery is beautiful..that bridge is very sharp looking after the stain was applied. Very unique, wish I had scenery like that around me.

Lite4
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
WOW that scenery is beautiful..that bridge is very sharp looking after the stain was applied. Very unique, wish I had scenery like that around me.

Thank you, I am very fortunate to live in the west. It is very beautiful.

LindblomRJ
01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I have never been to South Dakota, but it must be beautiful around the black hills area. I have a friend that moved his family to North Dakota a few years ago. He is a pastor in a church in Fargo or just outside of it. He says it gets insanely cold there, which I can imagine. I grew up in Bozeman Montana. I remember it always being 20 to 40 below zero there in the winter. I think my blood is too thin for those temps now though.

Around the hills it is beautiful. I say the same about Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. We also have badlands, however the Badlands of North Dakota are prettier, if you will.

Even the prairie has beauty, but I like the hills and mountains. I miss that sort of thing dearly.