PDA

View Full Version : new lawn advice

moreira85
01-18-2009, 12:59 AM
new construction, wasnt hydroseeded till about October 10th (very late in the fall). the grass came up but got really cold here in the northeast a couple weeks later. Some bare spots and thin. Fertilized before winter as well.

what should I do in the spring? will the remainder of the seed germinate in the spring?
since it is a new lawn/soil is it okay to aerate in the spring or is it pointless since the soil is new?

i was planning on aearating, overseeding, fertilizer + weed control.

Smallaxe
01-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I see more people talking about aerating in the spring on new lawns that couldn't possibly have thatch and compaction shouldn't be an issue. The proper ammendments should already be in the seedbed.

More spring fertilization also mystifies me.
Do you think your winterizer is used up already on dormant baby grasslings? All leached away or evaporated?

I would overseed and not much else.
Hopefully your winterizer is working its way through the soil by now. Your roots should be growing downward, because there is fert and water down there. More water soluable fert on the surface right now is going to start your shallow rooted, thatch production only.

moreira85
01-18-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks for reply. the winter fert is defiently making its way down into the ground by now, we have had tons of snow!!!

SO NO AERATION IN THE SRPING CORRECT? (although this means I have to use a rake in the entire yard to distrub the soil for better seed contact)
Just overseed in the spring. I know that the builder is sending the same guy out how did the winterizer in the spring to throw down fertilizer. Should I throw down the overseeding right before he comes to throw out the fertilizer?

Smallaxe
01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
If you have someone else putting down fert in the spring, then there is a real good chance they are applying Pre-m as well. In which case your seed will all die.
Don't waste your time.

I had one client that I agreed to mow for, but wanted to keep, TGCL. So what - right?

Well w/out irrigation on a sandy slope 6apps of NPK is going to kill back the grass, and the new client wanted me to 'make it better'.

I agreed to make time for them 'only' after they got rid of TGCL. Too many cooks spoil the soup.