PDA

View Full Version : DOT motor carrier # required for LCO's

Stuttering Stan
01-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Generally speaking, are lawn trailers required to have a motor carrier number? I heard that state police are starting to ticket LCO's for this. After doing some research, I found that a MC # is required for any commercial "For Hire" application. Any DOT experts out there that can shed some light on this?

GravelyNut
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Generally speaking, are lawn trailers required to have a motor carrier number? I heard that state police are starting to ticket LCO's for this. After doing some research, I found that a MC # is required for any commercial "For Hire" application. Any DOT experts out there that can shed some light on this?
All depends on your state or states you go to. VA won't be the first to do it. Depends on truck GVWR too.

PerfectEarth
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
You're most likely "Private"...not "For Hire".

Go here- www.fmcsa.gov and click on the "Registration and Assistance" shaded blue box on the front page. Then, the "Help me register" section on the next page.

If your truck and trailer set-ups are combined OVER 10,000# (and they proabably are) you have a bit of research to do about complying. You can always call your State Police or Vehicle enforcement as well... Virginia does not require DOT numbers for INTRAstate commerce if you're under 26,000# GVWR or GCWR (I THINK.....). Do you cross state lines to work?

Stuttering Stan
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't cross state lines, but the state is in such dire need of revenue that I can see tickets being issued. I have a friend with a dirt car racing setup and he said he was ticketed for not having a #. Guess I might have to dive in the anals of state code.

nosparkplugs
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Most States Do not require DOT numbers if your under 26,000GVWR. For "hire" is if your towing other peoples "stuff". If your going to be towing your own equipment , and Stay in your State. you don't need DOT #'s make sure to check your State laws too.

treeman06
01-19-2009, 05:37 PM
i believe you are considered for hire if you have a business, you need to legally have your business name own both doors and your usdot number on both doors. It applies to any vehicles over 10000 gvw.

GravelyNut
01-20-2009, 04:33 AM
I don't cross state lines, but the state is in such dire need of revenue that I can see tickets being issued. I have a friend with a dirt car racing setup and he said he was ticketed for not having a #. Guess I might have to dive in the anals of state code.

Such dire needs that they had fines higher for residents than out of staters. Till it got thrown out by the courts. Now they need the money even more.