PDA

View Full Version : business newbie here

farmdawg23
02-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Hey guys.......little about myself. I was a victim of all the aviation layoffs due to the sept. 11th attacks. I was in Tulsa Oklahoma. I took all the money out of my 401k, and am now, in the process of starting a small lawncare company. I am now in Oregon though, and have a good feeling i will have a lot of questions for you guys. sure am glad to have found this site........thanks FD.

CS Lawns
02-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the world of Lawn Care! There is a ton of info here so I will be the first to tell you to use the search engine before posting a question some of the guys here get testy when they have to repeat themselves. Good luck to you ! :blob3:

Tony Harrell
02-28-2002, 12:55 PM
I too am layed off from the effects of 911. I've been thinking about doing this for years and probably would never have ventured out without a significant push. I'm confident about my prospects and am in it for the long term so I've been doing a lot of investigating about the whole business. I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of and there will be obstacles, but the satisfaction of being on my own will be tremendous!

GarPA
02-28-2002, 05:03 PM
while i've "dug in the dirt" as a hobby for 20 years and also have a home turf and landscapaping that is the envy of my neighbors, (not braggin just fact)...doing it as a business is a whole other world..as these guys finally taught me , the SEARCH feature will keep you busy for weeks...and yes you will have to post a question occasionally and these 'been there done that' guys will be happy to help you..these guys and gals are great here.

forget about scag, exmark, echo, stihl, 'doubles', and all the other stuff here until you at least START the following:

A BUSINESS PLAN!!!!!! #1 reason startups fail is the lack of a solid plan...my wife insisted...and what I learned in doing that was critical...the SBA web site is the very first place to go...also would advise you to get yourself a FREE ON- LINE S.C.O.R.E counselor...retired execs and bus owners who want to help you succeed....now get off this site and go start your plan!!!...its really not that painful...trust me

Tony Harrell
03-03-2002, 10:12 AM
That was a really great post from kitzy. One thing a mentor will ask you is "where do you want to go?" Think about what you want; ex. how much do I want to make? How hard am I willing to work? Do I have the proper "people skills" and if not, where can I learn? These questions are not unique to this business but, unless you've ever been in a service type industry or on your own, they might be new to you. One thing that keeps most people from ever doing anything is hearing the word "NO". Don't be intimidated by that word. If you do a search on "flyers" you'll see it's a percentage type thing and it shouldn't discourage you. I wish you well and remember, we make our own luck.

zimm4
03-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I am not against score. I had a nagative expierence with them. I have since started a business that is 14 years old. They told me I was too young and inexpierenced.

Now I think I am finnaly ready to start a landscape business. I will agree it is good to seek help. In my opinion this is the best place to start.