PDA

View Full Version : check your hitch receiver pin

nosparkplugs
01-18-2009, 01:18 PM
WOW, I was pulling out some hedge's last week, and when I swapped out my hitch receiver for my clevis hook receiver set-up, I noticed I have almost wore through the sleeve on the 5/8" receiver lock pin:dizzy:. Gotta love Tractor Supply they carry the Reese "Farm & Ranch" line of heavy duty hitch & towing products I got then Reese "Dogbone" model it looks more heavy duty, than the previous Reese lock pin I was using.

South Florida Lawns
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Or check your receiver hitch. My friend and I were pulling out a stuck truck a few months back and snapped the whole receiver hitch in half, from snatching so hard. There is cheap stuff out there, esp. from wally world. I never thought to check the pin, thats often overlooked and a high stress part.

DanManofStihl
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I will second that Also be sure to use the right size pin. I have been told to many horror stories from people who first hand used a bolt or a smaller pin and it sheared and the trailer passed the truck and each of the stories was expensive. Also hitches and recievers wear out to the holes get elongated and just have slop in them. better to replace a $100.00 hitch then tear up a $10,000 lawn care set up or any set up.

nosparkplugs
01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Or check your receiver hitch. My friend and I were pulling out a stuck truck a few months back and snapped the whole receiver hitch in half, from snatching so hard. There is cheap stuff out there, esp. from wally world. I never thought to check the pin, thats often overlooked and a high stress part.

Did anyone get hurt?
That sounds more like abuse, or you reached the limit of the hitch. I have heard of things like that, the metal tearing around the bolt holes wear the hitch attach's to the truck frame. This is why I use a gooseneck for anything over 11,000GTWR

South Florida Lawns
01-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Not that time. But a different recovery we were doing, had the whole hitch come off a jeep and it hit my friend in the ribs who was standing behind a tree well away from the area.

topsites
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I use only locking pins, I buy them from the trailer dealer.
That's the guy I bought my trailer from.
Same guy I bought the hitch from, and same guy who installed it all.
Pretty much ALL trailer-related items I buy from him.
Yes, even tires.

He has been in business many, many years.
I have never had a problem.

DLAWNS
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I actually have to buy a new one before the spring because I noticed mine is bent! I don't need any problems with that.

mason dude
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I bought one of those that has the spring loaded clip on the end so you can just turn it sideways then push it through then it flips 90 degrees and holds the pin in, sounded great, all one piece, then one day in a rush while pushing it through the spring flipped INSIDE the ball mount, !!!! wouldnt come back out or go the rest of the way through, was only holding one side of the ball mount, had to cut it off, I only use the traditional 2 piece pin with clip now, sometimes simpler is better