PDA

View Full Version : NPR or F150

Blue Ridge Mike
01-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I am looking to replace some aging trucks that came with the company. I like the all-in-one style of an NPR. that being said I can almost purchase two F150 for the price of one NPR. I do lawn maint only (no need for bobcats, sod pallets..) Is the truck/trailer a better way to go over an NPR? To take that further, is a V6 F150 enought for my needs. I am going to weight out everything that would go in the trailer and makr sure it meets specs, however I wanted to get others opinions as well. I should mention that any vehicles purchased will be pre-owned. Thanks!

Michael

TXNSLighting
01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
No the v6 is worthless for any towing. You need to at least get a V8. Ive never experienced a NPR before so i dont know. Me personally i like the truck/trailer combo. I was lookin into a LCF and really liked it.

nosparkplugs
01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I am looking to replace some aging trucks that came with the company. I like the all-in-one style of an NPR. that being said I can almost purchase two F150 for the price of one NPR. I do lawn maint only (no need for bobcats, sod pallets..) Is the truck/trailer a better way to go over an NPR? To take that further, is a V6 F150 enought for my needs. I am going to weight out everything that would go in the trailer and makr sure it meets specs, however I wanted to get others opinions as well. I should mention that any vehicles purchased will be pre-owned. Thanks!

Michael

If your strictly using these F-150's for Lawn Maintenance the NPR will be a huge improvement for you. I do see tons of guys here using the new & old F-150's & trailer combo's their NOT doing commercial work only residentials. You won't break any speed records or be able to tow anything more than 10,000lbs with a 1/2ton. With a NPR you have room to grow vs a F-150.

Gravel Rat
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
You comparing a grocery getter/daily driver to a work truck designed for commercial use.

A F-150 is useless its designed to haul your fat azz around and not much more.

topsites
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
You won't be able to tow anything more than 10,000lbs with a 1/2ton.

I keep trying to tell these guys, it's not about how much a truck can tow on a one time basis,
we're not towing a boat to the lake on a warm and sunny weekend here.

It's about how much it can pull every single day, trucks like mine stay hitched and most vehicles once they're
put under the strain of a constant hitched load the tune of max towing ability changes considerably.

A truck, any truck, can not tow it's max rated ability on a full-time basis but for so long, the mechanics of the engine
and the transmission simply won't tolerate it, not to mention shocks and brakes and all the rest of the parts.
So you need a truck that is rated far, or a ways above what you plan on towing every day.

Play around and get the cheaper truck, save yourself a few hundred or thousand dollars and in 6 to 24 months
you will be looking for another truck, every 1/2 a year to 1-2 years you will be truck shopping.
And if you don't mind it but the insurance company will, they like to jack rates on vehicle switchers.

Not sure on the NPR, what that is.
But between the 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton the argument is nil, get a 3/4 ton, be done, once and for all.

Tadams
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Once you bite the bullet and buy an a cabover you will never go back. You have to be ready to have a dedicated work truck because these things can run you to walmart and buy groceries but that's not what they are made to do. It amazes me that people will use a 30-50,000 dollar truck to do this kind of work. I don't know about you guys but we sweat buckets when we are working. Dirt, grass, mud, and dust are a part of this business and it gets in the trucks. I would spend more time and money washing and vaccuming a nice F-250, 350, or Chevy 2500 or 3500 than I would make. Leather seats? No thank you. Carpet? Negative. And then, can you imagine if I wanted my wife to ride in a work truck. Forget it.

Blue Ridge Mike
01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
I appreciate the input. Especially about going to a larger (ie F250) vehicle. I really like the idea of the NPR cabover, I guess it boils down to our financial situation. I could get a used NPR for about the same price as a used F250. Does anyone have a comment about gas NPR v. diesel NPR?
Thanks
Mike

EagleLandscape
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I HAVE AN F150, F250, AND AN NPR.

I will say that I have my eyes open for more NPR's as I will never use anything other than an NPR for commercial landscape maintenance.

However, i will still keep my 250 around to haul dump trailers. I also keep the f150 around as a daily driver, backup truck. I will convert the f150 next year for residential maintenance only truck. 2 push mowers, one string trimmer, one edger, two blowers, and a hedge trimmer.

but if you do commercial, NPR is what I forsee as being the best investment.

Blue Ridge Mike
01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
If I go the NPR route, I would go with a diesel. I see used diesel NPR with 100,000 miles or more. What is a safe bet on milage for used NPRs?

dishboy
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
The v-6 F150 works fine as long as the weight you are moving is under 2000lbs. You can expect 16 mpg in this configuration.