PDA

View Full Version : Ford LCF 550 on ebay

Wing 97
01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello all! I don't usually post just absorb the knowledge. I ran across a new 07Ford LCF 550 on Ebay for 31500 and it seems like a good deal. The dealer is local to me and was going to go take a look. I am out of touch with cab over pricing and was wondering if it is good deal (or at least a good number to start from). Also anyone with experience using one for landscaping please give me your thoughts. Thanks.

stuvecorp
01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Look on www.truckpaper.com to see what others like it are going for.

Wing 97
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Nothing really to compare to except a 06 used dump for 26000 and cab and chassis that are all over 35000. The one on ebay comes with a I Pak toolbox, mason dump with fold down sides, and hitch. Thanks.

Gravel Rat
01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
There is a reason why there is so many LCF trucks on the market. I was thinking about one but after doing some research I changed my mind. The LCF Ford isn't a reliable truck lots of problems with the motor. The cabs are tiny if your a big person its not a truck for you.

The best cab over sold was Hino but they don't sell them anymore. Second option is Mitsubushi/Sterling.

Just have a look at the forsale ads for the LCF Fords they all have low mileage and trucks that you wonder why they are being sold.

stuvecorp
01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
The International dealer wanted to sell me one but I didn't think it was comfortable and thought it was kind of awkward to get in and out. 31500 doesn't seem that screaming of a deal but I'm not up on them too much.

BrandonV
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
we own an 08 and have fallen in love with it, I also have a mitfuso but the ford is much heavier duty and more power. if you wanting to use it as a dump it'll be a great truck, the mitfuso are great for smaller loads and mowing equipment but throw 12 yds of mulch on and it gets very hesitant. the lcf has been hauling 18yds of mulch without so much as a hiccup

TXNSLighting
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
There is a reason why there is so many LCF trucks on the market. I was thinking about one but after doing some research I changed my mind. The LCF Ford isn't a reliable truck lots of problems with the motor. The cabs are tiny if your a big person its not a truck for you.

The best cab over sold was Hino but they don't sell them anymore. Second option is Mitsubushi/Sterling.

Just have a look at the forsale ads for the LCF Fords they all have low mileage and trucks that you wonder why they are being sold.

Thats the first time ive heard that! Ive heard great things about them.

Gravel Rat
01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
The Ford LCF are a heavier truck and they use better brakes and wheels. I was really thinking about one if my General contracting picked up because you can turn on a dime with a cabover. These new construction sites are tight to get in and out of.

I wondered why I was seeing so many used low kilometerage LCF trucks on the market. I started asking around and I read Tow411. Ford needs to figure out a way of putting a better engine into the truck.

syzer
01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
we own an 08 and have fallen in love with it, I also have a mitfuso but the ford is much heavier duty and more power. if you wanting to use it as a dump it'll be a great truck, the mitfuso are great for smaller loads and mowing equipment but throw 12 yds of mulch on and it gets very hesitant. the lcf has been hauling 18yds of mulch without so much as a hiccup

Just wish they would come out with a darn 4 door!

TXNSLighting
01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
I coulda swore i saw one in a crew cab just the other day...

wellbuilt
01-18-2009, 11:41 PM
I have a lcf and like it . I have a 12' dump with out the I pack If you figure the body could cost around 7000 dollars alone . A new truck for 24500 sounds OK to me. The dealers in NY where asking 39000 11/2 years ago . Mine is a lcf 45 I payed around 30gs out the door but had a trade . It was a impulse buy I saw it and drove off with it in about an hour. I needed the truck for a job . I have 20,000 trouble free miles now . The motor is about the same as the 60 PS with 2 cylinders cut off . Ive had a few 60 and 7.3 PS and never had any real problems with any of them . I get about 11 mpg around town and 16 highway driving 60 mph. Ford says the truck can pull 12500lbs but the mileage dropped drastically when the trailer is over 10,000lbs. I cant even feel a 7000lb trailer and get around 10 mpg .I'm 6' 1 and fit in the cab OK . There is no extra room to spear and you wont win any races but i drove 20,000mils in 18 months. I haul dump trailers with mine and pull a skid and mini EX. It pulls way better then my F 250 350 and Excursion My lcf 45 is much heaver then the fuso 4x4 and pulls much better. In the winter i wish i had 4x4 I wanted a f 550 4x4 but the lcf was much cheaper and the turning radius really helps me out . I use the truck like a big wheel barrel and drive it around the site . I don't know if the motor will run for 300,000 mils but we will see . John One other thing Ive never seen a I pack that looked like it fit on the lcf they have been bolting on the f series boxes and the bed sits two height and dosent line up with the cab.

nosparkplugs
01-18-2009, 11:42 PM
The Ford LCF are a heavier truck and they use better brakes and wheels. I was really thinking about one if my General contracting picked up because you can turn on a dime with a cabover. These new construction sites are tight to get in and out of.

I wondered why I was seeing so many used low kilometerage LCF trucks on the market. I started asking around and I read Tow411. Ford needs to figure out a way of putting a better engine into the truck.

It's got a International diesel in it WTF do you want GR. It's a FERD too:laugh:. almost a wet dream for you GR:weightlifter: You don't like the Cab Forwards thats it. I agree, I cannot stand them myself. Their great for turning, and require ZERO experience to drive:dizzy: so that should not appeal to you also:waving:.

Wing 97
01-19-2009, 03:38 PM
After taking another look at the pictures I can see that the cab, I-Pak, and dump body aren't exactly a smooth transition but it is just a work truck. I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer since it snowed again today. Also after thinking about it I realized that I would legally need a cdl in order to even pull my 7000 gvw trailer never mind the 10000 gvw since it is a 19500 gvw truck. I am just sick of always being over weight all the time with a 3500 but size wise it is just essential as far snow removal and just pulling for the basic maintenance route. The LCF seemed reasonably priced for the gap it would fill.

Gravel Rat
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
A regular 1 ton cab and chassis with a dump can't pack very much it is why I stopped using them over 8 years ago. I was sick of being overweight on the truck and no braking power. If you ever had to do a panic stop forget it.

It isn't worth it trying to do any kind of hauling with a 12,000lb or less gvw truck your guaranteed to be overweight.

nosparkplugs
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
A regular 1 ton cab and chassis with a dump can't pack very much it is why I stopped using them over 8 years ago. I was sick of being overweight on the truck and no braking power. If you ever had to do a panic stop forget it.

It isn't worth it trying to do any kind of hauling with a 12,000lb or less gvw truck your guaranteed to be overweight.

Buy not stepping up in truck class you can tow or haul more GTWR with a lighter GVWR. Thats simply economics and legal, with that said the vast majority of accidents in the USA are passenger vehicles vs SEMI. You should always be looking for ways to lower your GVWR to increase your GTWR. Aluminum dumps are a great example of this

Their is a balance between GVWR and GTWR to get CGVWR, If you follow the FMCSA Guidelines for the class of truck your operating everyone would be safe. Truckers hate the 3500-5500 series; because these trucks legally cut into their money good CGVWR less cost to operate. I listen to it weekly:clapping: my Brother is a truck driver:laugh: he's driven everything on the road.

You can never have too much truck I agree; however you have to pay to play. I know for me I would be in a 5500 5 years ago if I could have afforded it.

wellbuilt
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
After taking another look at the pictures I can see that the cab, I-Pak, and dump body aren't exactly a smooth transition but it is just a work truck. I haven't had a chance to go to the dealer since it snowed again today. Also after thinking about it I realized that I would legally need a cdl in order to even pull my 7000 gvw trailer never mind the 10000 gvw since it is a 19500 gvw truck. I am just sick of always being over weight all the time with a 3500 but size wise it is just essential as far snow removal and just pulling for the basic maintenance route. The LCF seemed reasonably priced for the gap it would fill.

There where a bunch of lcfs with the i pack in All American ford in the meadowlands NJ . The trucks where made up buy rugby and they did not sell very well . I was skating around the CDL thing for years and just got my licence in the mail yesterday . Thank to the guys on this site giving me a push to go for it . It was real easy . I bought a CDL study test on line for 60 bucks. If you can pass the on line test 5 times you will pass the cdl test for the state . I took the hole test in 20 minutes 7 sections . The road test was easy in the lcf its like driving a car. I was driving in and out of traffic with out a problem . I have been driving trucks for 35years but never needed a CDL. I also tow a large sail boat 15,000lbs so i did have some experience. To take the class A i pulled a 18' equipment trailer for the test . I don't know about pushing snow. My truck cant get out of my driveway in the snow with out chains . John

Wing 97
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Maybe what I need to do is buy a truck and park it in the driveway. That might give me the incentive to get off my lazy a## and take the time out to get a cdl. Without that I probably continue to skate around it. As far as the lcf goes plowing snow, I wouldn't depend on it just set it up to hook up to an existing plow in case a truck goes down. I would like to think if kept on flat lots with a few ton of sand it should get by. Truth be told I would have never guessed I would be considering a ford but the price seemed reasonable. I have looked at the 5500 4x4 and came close buying but it just seems like a behemoth and not real practical. I may have to revisit that thought but it is a lot more coin.

Gravel Rat
01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
A 5500 Chevy is a behemoth there is no way you will have the maneuverability etc compared to the LCF.

As for landscaping not everybody pulls a trailer so you need a truck that can carry topsoil, sand and gravel. Like I said before a trailer couldn't get into any of the jobs I do. Say I had a dump trailer no way I could get it moved into a landscaping job. The reason the little trucks get work they can go where the big trucks can't. I have had jobs hauling in gravel 3 yards at a time because you couldn't get a tandem axle dump down the access road.

It cost the homeowner couple hundred dollars more but it was the only way the job could be done.

I have had jobs where you had to back around behind a house with little clearance to spare.

A regular 1 ton with a 12,000lb gvw can barely haul 1.5 yards of gravel. A 15,000lb gvw truck can haul 2.5 yards or upto 3 yards illegally. A F-550 may have a higher gvw but the F-450 and F-550 have the exact same brakes. I find the F-450s (03) the braking power feels maxed out with a truck maxed out at 15,000lbs. The F-550- LCF 550 rated at 19,000lbs must be tough to stop.