PDA

View Full Version : Hardscape imaging sales?

Bru75
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I have been researching hardscape imaging software for a while, and read a lot of the posts on the diferent programs. My question for the guys who use it is how much it helps to close the deal with a homeowner? Have you gotten work that you don't think you would have gotten without it?
I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

DVS Hardscaper
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Almost 13 years ago when we started doin h-scapes, I did imaging.

And only did it for about 2 yrs.

I think REAL photos of COMPLETED jobs work just as well, if not better.

When I price a job I need to do a scaled design. That takes time. Throw a freakin image into the picture and I just kisses oddles of valuabe time good-bye.

May work well for others. It's just not for me.

www.outdoorfinishes.com

Dreams To Designs
01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, it helps sell work.The client is able to see and understand what your vision is for their property. We live in an age where computers are a normal part of life and the clients are expecting to be dazzled by technology, that is not to say that all imaging work is good. You are trying to convey a unique design to a client, and any tools that help you get that idea across will be a benefit. Often times i find the client becomes more flexible with their budget when they are able to see and understand what you will be trying to do on their property.

The just released, Version 15 of Pro landscape will contain Techo-Bloc CAD symbols and 3D images to be used throughout their software and that is a huge benefit to anyone installing Techo-Bloc.

The one thing I must caution about any software, especially imaging software, is almost every thing created on the computer will look god, but that does not mean it is designed well, is buildable or practical. Your design skills and experience must be equal to the task of your installation talent. Anything can work and look good when using software, that is not always the case when it comes to construction and sustainability.

Also, don't be to worried about the cartoonish look or patterns and colors. Imaging is a tool to get an idea across to the client. The installation will NOT look exactly like the imaging!

Kirk

Bru75
01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the input!

Farbio
01-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone have comments about Depiction software?

Dreams To Designs
01-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Never heard of Depiction software. Where can you get it and how much does it cost?

Kirk

tadpole
01-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Depiction is a Decorative Concrete design program. Won't help much with general landscaping.

Farbio
01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
I saw the Depiction software at the HNA show. It looks like it would only be good for hardscapes. If someone had to buy a design software just for hardscaping, what would you buy?

Dreams To Designs
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you need CAD design software or just 3D imaging? Depiction looks to be generic software that is provided to paver manufacturers, so that they can showcase their products and make imaging available for a relatively low cost. Not a bad deal, if you need nothing but paver or simple retaining wall imaging software.

Many hardscapers I work with, promote Google Sketchup as their imaging software of choice, and it's free. When they need more than Sketchup can offer they use programs like Pro Landscape, Dynascape or employee a designer to create plans and images.

Kirk

Farbio
01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for your input Kirk. How do you like Pro landscape for hardscape designs? Also, does anyone have an example of a google sketchup hardscape design? Thanks!

Dreams To Designs
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I find Pro Landscape to be a professional design tool capable of creating excellent CAD plans, including hardscape plans, and it also does a great job with 3D imaging, which is an excellent sales tool. With the addition of Techo-Bloc with this version and more hardscaping manufacturers n the works, Pro Landscape leads the way with imaging and hatch patterns for hardscaping designs.

There is a hardcape forum that many members use Google Sketchup and even have a member creating lessons to learn or use Sketchup. The most important thing with any software ir to relate a quality design and enable your client to understand the vision you have for their project. No software can do this alone, it is just a digital pencil or presentation tool.

Kirk

CaliDesigns
01-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Here is a job I designed with pool studios.

Hardscaping
01-30-2009, 12:23 AM
a really good software that i use is realtime landscape architect. i will upload a picture

Hardscaping
01-30-2009, 12:28 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erika2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/eriak5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erika4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erikacourt1.jpg