PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Schedule for St. Augustine, Zone 10

hgiljr
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello all. So it's almost that time of year to begin wih a fertilizing of lawns and with St. Augustine I really do not have one. So I am looking for a lawn Fertilization schedule, with recommended formulations, that hopefully I can pickup at my local lesco dealer. If anyone can share what works for them for St. Augustine, in particular zone 10, South Florida, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again
Hector

RAlmaroad
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Where is zone 10? Or, just give us the city and state.

JDUtah
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Where is zone 10? Or, just give us the city and state.

http://www.bulbdeals.com/zones.asp

hgiljr
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I am located in Miami, Fl

RAlmaroad
01-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Ric is from down there and knows the schedule for St. Augustine. Fl. is a 12 month never dormant season similar to Hawaii. February is generally a good Pre-emergent time. Being a little north of you in SC, we try to get the Pre-Em down by the first of March as greenup usually is happening towards the end of March. About two weeks after Greenup is a good time to get down your fertilize. St. Augustine loves Nitrogen about 1/2lb per month until August. With your fertilize you will need Micro Nutrients and Iron. About May/June start your fungicide and Insect control. There are other guys like Gregory that have St. Augustine in Fl. that can help you more. I'm all liquid and like Gallery for Pre-EM and 12-0-44 for fertilize. I'd spike it with urea because of the High Nitrogen user grass. St. Augustine will tolerate more chlorine than Centipede but a better choice would be Potassium of Sulfate. St. Augustine is much easier and forgiving than Centipede. Maybe this will benefit you till some others further south than me. If you're not comfortable with mixing and applying applications, you'd be better off to hire one of the pros that do this for a living. Your investment in equipment would be very high compared to just paying a very good pro who knows the rules of that state. Or maybe, you are a pro?

greendoctor
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
It does get much colder in Miami than it does in Hawaii, but for every month of active growth, you want 1/2 lb of N and 1/4 lb K with the full spectrum of micronutrients, not just iron. Too much Barricade, Dimension and Pre-M will root prune st augustine and actually cause more weed problems. Your best defense against weeds is a thick and fast growing lawn. Barring that, simazine, Image and Dismiss are pre/post type herbicides that are not root pruners. Gallery is very important because you cannot just spot Three Way type herbicides into st augustine, lawn will look like you were testing missiles after a while, and weeds will come up in the damaged spots. Listen to Roy, he knows who knows down there. If you are not a professional applicator, it is a good idea to enlist the services of one.

Ric
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
http://collier.ifas.ufl.edu/CommHort/MaintainTurf.shtml

While Collier county is due west of Dade county I can not find any thing from Dade County extension service. I will tell you soil on the East coast of Florida is richer than the Gulf Coast and Rainy season - Dry Season is not as pronounce. Winter is warmer and summer is cooler because of the Gulf Stream and Bahama Breeze on the East Coast. For this reason the East Coast was developed earlier and was very agrarian even until today. The Number of roads named after farms is only one proof of Dade Counties early history. There are many So & So Dairy Road or Such & Such Farm Rd. remaining today in a very planned road structure using street, ave, Terrance and Place with Numbers. 9000 10th st can in fact be NE, NW, SE, or SW Miami. 9000 10th ave might also have 4 locations that are Miles apart from 9000 10th St. While a great pace to visit Miami is way to big for a small town boy like myself.

hgiljr
01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Yes I know Ric is from down here and has given me some info. I personally am more of a DIY and love to learn new things esp. when I can handle it. Yes I know pros are down here like Ric, but if I can handle it, in the end it is an achievement for my book and something new learned. I did Organic last time using alfalfa pellets but that caused for me to get Green Leaf disease. So going back to non organic to see if I can get a program underway. I also used in the past Lesco 24-2-11 but stressed the hell out of it since I fertilized too often. I do know my local Lesco store has updates as to what to use, but some have said their recommendations are not that accurate. Any recommendations or further help appreciated.

greendoctor
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
What I would use may or may not be available at Lesco. It is all solution grade liquids. The ideas is to spoon feed the turf no more than what it can retain. My base feeding for st augustine is 1 lb 46-0-0 and 1/2 lb 13-0-45 in 3 gallons of water/1000 + the labeled rate of a micronutrient mix. I use FEature available from UAP. This is applied monthly and watered in lightly after each application. I know Florida has issues with nutrients polluting waterways. So do not apply anything when rain is forecast within 48 hours of an application.

Ric
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
What I would use may or may not be available at Lesco. It is all solution grade liquids. The ideas is to spoon feed the turf no more than what it can retain. My base feeding for st augustine is 1 lb 46-0-0 and 1/2 lb 13-0-45 in 3 gallons of water/1000 + the labeled rate of a micronutrient mix. I use FEature available from UAP. This is applied monthly and watered in lightly after each application. I know Florida has issues with nutrients polluting waterways. So do not apply anything when rain is forecast within 48 hours of an application.

Green

Because of Florida's green issues of political correctness and the agronomical needs of St Augustine turf, I PM Hgiljr Fertilizer recommendation for his turf a few days ago. I took into consideration the fact he is a homeowner, not a Greens keeper and was unable to mix his own blend or did he have the equipment to apply Liquid fertilizer effectively.

Hgiler PM me a little history of what had not worked for him. Without seeing his turf or knowing the real past response he achieve I recommended what I felt would best help him. However I did not give him a full program or timing of when to do what. What I did recommend was a 50% & 70% slow release fertilizer that would in fact spoon feed his lawn with Minor Elements as well as 1-0-1 ratio of N to K. I am a strong believer in K, Not because it cause a visual response, because it doesn't cause a visual response. But because it cause root extension that helps fight stress of both drought and disease. By the very nature of St Augustine being a stolmatic turf should tell us it is a surface grower and lacks the root structure of rhizon turfs. By spoon feeding with a good slow release fertilizer the boom and bust effect of fast release and the possible disease issues related to over fertilizing with fast releases fertilizer is eliminated for the most part. However the advantage of slow is also a disadvantage in the fact response is slow coming also. However residual is long term.

IMHO without inspecting his turf anything more I might tell him might cause him to kill his grass with kindness. Anyone who has been in this business and has any understanding of human nature should realize Patience's is not the virtue of the customer. They want everything perfect yesterday. We are dealing with a Living Growing thing and must realize Disneyland can not be achieved over night.

hgiljr
01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
If I can stay away from liquid, it would be better. Thanks again

hgiljr
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Ric I am aware that Patience is key here with the lawn. Personally I taught myself this long time ago when I layed the pallets of lawn. I try to keep it the best possible and to be honest with no pro help I have received a lot of compliments from neighbors doing it the way I have up until now but has caused several problems due to the high Nitrogen from my readings. I am patient which is why I am looking for the ideal maintenance schedule to do things correctly. Hopefully with the help from pros here, i can get the proper maintenance schedule for my lawn. I have taken some pictures and will post tonight of my front lawn. Again any further info greatly appreciated. Thanks

gregory
01-20-2009, 10:43 AM
yea you have to watch the high N it will cause alot of problems...

ric has helped me alot via this web site and over the phone and he has never steered me wrong the guy knows his st aug. grass......

Ric
01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
yea you have to watch the high N it will cause alot of problems...

ric has helped me alot via this web site and over the phone and he has never steered me wrong the guy knows his st aug. grass......

Karl

Thank You. My Ego always needs stroked to keep my head big enough so my hat doesn't sit on my shoulders.

But Until I took the time to actually see your Yard was I able to advise you.

hgiljr
01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Here are some pictures of the front lawn. There was no sun today so they are a bit dark, but hopefully you can see and provide feedback on a maintenance schedule that I can benefit from. Thanks again to all for your help and info.