PDA

View Full Version : Compost Tea Sprayers

Keegan
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I remember someone posting on here (I think) about a company that sells tanks and sprayers for compost tea. I think they are out of Rhode Island. I cannot rember their name. ahhh! :dizzy:

treegal1
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
eh just get a hydro seeder..................

Barefoot James
01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Agree with tree go to turboturf.com and get a hydroseeder and the tea sprayer attachment. That way you can spray manymore things and tea.

I got a tea sprayer from Rittenhouse in Canada and it is fine but I also got a hydroseeder from Turbo Turf and it is awesome.

treegal1
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
yes, well I got 2 bloody knuckles from changing the diaphragms in my lesco C200, and I am out the 50$ in parts. so I dont want to talk about the *%^#$* hypro d403 now..........

RigglePLC
01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Treegal, sympathy for those bloody knuckles. Heal up soon. For the pump try using a socket wrench with a bit that fits the metric capscrews you have to take out. Buy it at a NAPA store. The screws need a 6 mm metric allen wrench, I think. Also cut off a metric wrench and file it down slightly until it fits in your electric screwdriver or reversable drill--almost fun after that. Also, be sure to loosen three out of four motor bolts--swing it out for full access and clearance.

treegal1
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Riggle, I was going to cuss you out at the first 1/2 of the post for saying like I'm a standard girl type, no tool chick, or office girl, but then you said to swing it out and save the extra work. yep that seals it I am a bone head. I had all the tools but not the brains to swing it out on one bolt. ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

on the bright side it finally filled with oil after a drinking straw was added to the fill port/cup.

and it did last 2 years before some milk started in the bowl.... although the hypro guy said to do it every 4 months of run time, I ask if he was drunk, and then hung up, 4 months and new seals?????

Riggle thanks for the tip, that will save me the next time!!!!

oh sorry about the hijack

http://cgi.ebay.com/LESCO-300-GALLON-SPRAYER-W%2F-ELECTRIC-REEL_W0QQitemZ260344899505QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090111?IMSfp=TL090111115007r16341

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lesco-Lawn-Spray-Tank_W0QQitemZ280302315964QQcmdZViewItemQQptZHand_Tools_Gear_Equipment?hash=item280302315964&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

roccon31
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
what is this tea sprayer attachment you speak of? is it a tip for the hose or is it something for inside the pump? i have an old reinco 600 gal mech agitated machine i may resurrect to spray tea with.

treegal1
01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
its just to let you spray less tea from the large unit.

get that 600 fired up then you dont need to strain the tea, its like a tea.post app all at once

Barefoot James
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
No it is a quick attachment that takes a 1.5 inch hose down to a .75 inch hose. Also the CT (.75 inches) hose is 200 to 300 ft vs a 100 to 150 ft (1.5 inch) hydro hose.

Keegan
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Agree with tree go to turboturf.com and get a hydroseeder and the tea sprayer attachment. That way you can spray manymore things and tea.

I got a tea sprayer from Rittenhouse in Canada and it is fine but I also got a hydroseeder from Turbo Turf and it is awesome.

Barefoot,

DO you just put the seed right into the tea or just use as a tea sprayer?

Barefoot James
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
You could add tea to the hydro seed slurry and it would help. But when we hydro seed we are just hydro seeding and when we spray tea we are just spraying tea. When generally go back once a home has been seeded (hydro or slit seeded) and then spray tea and then when the grass germinates or about 2 weeks later we spray tea again. but we usually seperate the two services and charge accordingly.

treegal1
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
dang it James you waited this long to tell me that there was a smaller hose!!!! I thought we were buddy's.LOLOL

I have 2 hose reels with 200 foot of large hose, kind of a pain but it lays down some slop real fast............

DUSTYCEDAR
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Tree pulls hose

treegal1
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
eh you do what you have to do..........................

DUSTYCEDAR
01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Couldent help myself spent to much time plowing last night

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:52 PM
now that sounds wrong...............

DUSTYCEDAR
01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
That is does

Compostwerks LLC
01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi all;

We are now selling these (http://compostwerks.com/GregsonClarkSprayers.php) sprayers which I just uploaded on our website. We are offering full drain and aeration options (which I'll post in another two weeks or so).

Feel free to stop by and check them out at http://compostwerks.com/GregsonClarkSprayers.php

Thanks for looking.

treegal1
01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
oh yeah 80$ wear parts here we come........

Compostwerks LLC
01-23-2009, 07:55 AM
My diphragms have lasted two years....still goin strong:walking:

treegal1
01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
yeah sure then why does udor hypro and ever other wear part say 400 hours or 4 months.

maybe if you spray once a week then they may last and is it or is it not an 80$ set of rubbers for the udor???

at least hypro only bends us over for 45-50$$$

eh what does it matter any ways they will never fit in a van............

hunter
01-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Just buy your own tank.

$300 for a 200 gallon tank
$200 for a electric diaphragm pump
$20 for a strainer
$535 for 12v hannay reel
$280 for 1/2" hose
$100 misc. parts
$50 for a Lesco gun
$1485.00 total and you've built your own with all new parts.

That's what we did bought a used 200 gallon tank, picked it up for $75. We even were able to pick up a used Lesco skid sprayer for $600.00 with honda engine. Which was even a better deal.

Which makes it great having a high pressure tank and low pressure spray rig.

hunter
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
duplicate duplicate

hunter
01-23-2009, 05:29 PM
yeah sure then why does udor hypro and ever other wear part say 400 hours or 4 months.

maybe if you spray once a week then they may last and is it or is it not an 80$ set of rubbers for the udor???

at least hypro only bends us over for 45-50$$$

eh what does it matter any ways they will never fit in a van............

They will fit in a 15 passenger one ton van. That's what we bought to put one of ours in.

treegal1
01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
the gregson clarke has motor on one side and hose on the other, the lesco/cub-cadet have the whole gear on one side so you can side mount the unit to work out the side doors....

DUSTYCEDAR
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
ok look
just once

treegal1
01-24-2009, 06:35 AM
look ma no welds required.....why did you have to cut and weld anways????

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=252365

DUSTYCEDAR
01-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Because i had a bigger tank in there so all i needed was the hose and motor

Mr. Nice
01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Dusty,

Is that your chem/fert sprayer? or for some tea's this year?

Ive found that if you are tying to apply a biologically active solution,
Active bacteria/Archaea,fungi's,protozoa's, and some possible nematodes that if you apply at to high a presser(above 60psi with my rig and pump, a Udor RO 70 )that you are literally killing or stunning 50%+++ or more of the active biology?

Of course no matter what presser you spray you are still applying soluble nutrients and such as well as some possible "tough microbes/biomass that made it though sprayer system" live active or infective spores out of the billions present in the fresh brewed tea that will grow and inoculate soil or plant foliage?

Though a tip from treegal, we observed a little less stunning affect on active biology after removal of strainer screen. I have a large hole gauge screen but it still impacted active biology and biomass formations by shredding/smashing them through the action of circulating through the screen and filter camber? It's a good idea to make sure you have as little particulate matter as possible if not using a filter screen.

Ive found to that when applying liquid organic's that you want a pump that will deliver as many GPM as possible. It makes all the difference too when you want to apply biologically active tea's because you can keep presser down while still putting out sufficient volume.

FOL
01-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Is it better to use a sprayer, "when spraying compost tea" with a diaphragm pump or hypro centrifugal pump? If possible, could your answer have any data or resources to support your statement?

Thanks,
FOL

DUSTYCEDAR
01-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I HAVE A 300 gal setup for my tea that was my weed rig but trying to show you could fit 200 gal in a van
its basicly the same setup in a pickup with a hypro d30 pump
still getting all the bugs worked out so the good guys make the trip.

treegal1
01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Is it better to use a sprayer, "when spraying compost tea" with a diaphragm pump or hypro centrifugal pump? If possible, could your answer have any data or resources to support your statement?

Thanks,
FOL
most of the damage done is in the mist part of the application you want to try and get it to "rain" the tea out.

at 90+ psi with a lesco compact 200/ hypro and LARGE filter/strainer, we start to see death and little active bact. but at 80 its good to great....... 70 psi little to no damage at all.

Mr. Nice
01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Tree,

At 70psi with your rig, Are you seeing less then 10-20% kill or stunning effect to protozoa's? or less?

What % kill at 80psi or above to protozoa's?

treegal1
01-26-2009, 12:43 AM
the amoeboids take the biggest hit, never tried to put then in % form. and when we did our observation it was more than clear that the spray was the worst enemy, with the standard fan tip it would chew them up like a meat grinder.

I have also seen that a plugged or restricted intake on the pump, VACUUM killed worse than pressure. they just pop.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Ouch that stinks

FOL
01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I am going with the centrifugal pump "1538", also Rittenhouse has a new tea jet tip/wand here is the link. Thanks for everyone's help.

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=2198

Thanks.

treegal1
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
FOL, just get the watering wand and shutoff, its like 32$

Barefoot James
01-26-2009, 03:10 PM
FOL

I have exactly what you are looking at from rittenhouse. make sure the tank is higher than the cent pump as it is gravity that moves the tea. I have that exact spray gun at it is awesome. They oginally sent one that had a handle/trigger on off that clogged all the time and then sent me the one you linked that has a wide open valve and I have not had any clogs except an occasional one at the tip (where it sprays).

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Thats nice looking

phasthound
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Here is another source for guns, sprayers & such.

http://greenprosolutions.com/guns.htm

I usually just use a ball valve at the hose end. I like to spray a large volume, maybe 10-15g/1000. I just feel better watering in those microbes and with large droplet size.

Barefoot James
01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes Green pro makes the BEST sprayers and brewers. In fact they can make a combined unit for your truck. Ask for Gary Maurer he is a genious.

Prolawnservice
01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
no doubt, if you have that kind of scratch laying around. Nice Guys too! A little pushy but what sales man isn't, other than that very nice.

Compostwerks LLC
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I saw Green Pro's brewer at the CTPA show in Plantsville two weeks ago....they're definitely making/borrowing the "Dirt Simple" design from Earth Fortification which I have seen in the in Corvallis OR lab. I asked for test results, but they didn't seem to know what that was all about. Later in the show, I brought some assays over to their booth to explain what it was that I was talking about.

There spray equipment IS very nice (except for the larger Hypro pumps they used in the past). I have worked with those units for many years. By and large my experience has been good.

My choice of gun is a JD-9 with the largest flodding nozzle that they make. I usually make the openings on the nozzle bigger with a drill or an ice pick to increase droplet size.

I don't see a difference in active/living biology between 75 and 150 PSI, at least with my setup. (http://www.compostwerks.com/GregsonClarkSprayers.php)

Prolawnservice
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Peter,

That's funny, because I met them at a soil food web class in August, and they were scoping out the earth fort brewer at the class:eek:. I don't think Matt would even care though, he was pretty much telling everyone how to build it anyway. As far as not knowing what your talking about as far as testing, THEY BOTH WENT TO THE SOIL FOOD WEB CLASS?????:sleeping:

Compostwerks LLC
01-26-2009, 06:58 PM
That's very cool that they took the class (core courses?)

It's quite a haul out there!

Matt is very free with that kind of information. I first saw his design on August 2006.

Barefoot James
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Well actually Green Pro Solutions is making the brewers for the Dr I's Soil Food Web Network - they have just been awarded the contract. I don't know who you met at a trade show that represented GPS but it for sure was not Gary Maurer. This guy is the brains behind it and he started making brewers and sprayers for CT over 30 years ago. Most of the high tech brewers and sprayers/research are stolen and recreated from his research and models. All of Sherrell Trees stuff/ideas came from Gary. This guy is cutting edge and does it all along with the research. They also have labs to do all sorts of CT and Soil testing.

I wish I had bought his stuff last year but I tried to save money. When you add up all the brewing, cleaning, spraying, cleaning and more cleaning I did (did I say cleaning) and apply hourly rates to all of this plus the time it took to check on the tea brews, testing and actual spraying i could have save a ton of $$ going with the high end brewer sprayer model Gary and I discussed.

Live and learn.

Tim Wilson
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I could not find a brewer on their site but did see a photo of what appeared to be a brewer. It looks more like mine than Matthew's. I don't know what the inner workings are but they are using a rectangularish tank which presents problems. I guess if they have a similar function to mine we'd need to check the patent office to see who published first. Looking at their testing stuff attached, it seems a little old school traditional; adjustment of pH etc. Something Dr. I is dead set against. Not very brilliant in my opinion. May as well buy a $15 test kit at Wal Mart. Overall, I guess its real nice for the person who goes for flashy looks and advertising but as the old lady used to say; Where's the beef? If I missed it I can stand the correction.

hunter
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I hate to say it but the gun at Rittenhouse is just a air gun with a shutoff valve. I could make one of those for under $35. Look around, for $107 there are better items to spend you money on. Even go to Lesco buy their gun for $60 and a nozzle for $5. You still spent less money.

I am seeing too many items that manufacturers are selling for compost tea and marking them up 500 times what it cost to build.

Tim Wilson
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Sorry, forgot attachment.

Mr. Nice
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Gary Maurer is a good businessman/ manufacture /sprayer builder.

I don't think he's that microbially inclined from what I have gathered from him
through a few causal talks we had last spring. I'm not trying to down him but I just think he's more a builder then biologist or great tea maker.

When It comes to lab testing a sprayer or brewer for that matter the only thing that truly means anything is direct count observation/testing. Yes the SFI report looks pretty official and I guess they can quantify some existing species if ordered but how does that tell me how active my tea is at time of brewing or if the tea was run through a sprayer first, what was alive after that? It doesn't if the sample is not immediately tested through direct observation through a microscope.

Barefoot,
I am going to be building a home made brewer for inside my 300g sprayer tank.
I am able to get a pretty good ACTIVE compost extract that I add from the start of brewing to use instead of compost in the sprayer tank to minimize sediment. Too much cleaning is for the birds...

I'm hopping Tim will be kind enough too help me with some of the possible logistics????:rolleyes:

phasthound
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
The first Green Pro spray rig I used was almost 15 years ago. I've known Gary for about 10 years. He knows the equipment and is always upgrading. The former owner was into soil microbes for over 30 years and was the first person to talk to me about them. I thought he was out of his freakin' mind. What the hell did microbes have to do with insect & disease problems, crap! :nono:

Some time after that I started thinking, "If that guy is right, I'll be out of work if I continue doing things the way I am." That was the start of my paradigm shift.

I always think of that when I'm talking to landscapers about the interaction of soil microbes and plants. If I do my job well, the look of disbelief will change into the the little light bulb turning on. :cool2:

Prolawnservice
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Barefoot,

That's the second time you have second guessed me, you didn't believe my pic in the DC thread, whats your deal? What makes you think I didn't meet Gary and his brother Keith and talk to them for hours. Dr I had a class in VA this past summer and they were both there, ask them yourself. I bet they even remember me too, they send me enough marketing materials. Ask them about the guy that was going to test their new fertilizer for them, they'll remember. Then come back and tell everyone how I'm wrong???

NattyLawn
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Peter,

That's funny, because I met them at a soil food web class in August, and they were scoping out the earth fort brewer at the class:eek:. I don't think Matt would even care though, he was pretty much telling everyone how to build it anyway. As far as not knowing what your talking about as far as testing, THEY BOTH WENT TO THE SOIL FOOD WEB CLASS?????:sleeping:

You never know who your talking to at a trade show. A lot of people are sizing you up to see how much YOU know.

Prolawnservice
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Actually Barry was there too

phasthound
01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I think James was refering to this post from Peter.
I saw Green Pro's brewer at the CTPA show in Plantsville two weeks ago....

Prolawnservice
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I think James was refering to this post from Peter.
I saw Green Pro's brewer at the CTPA show in Plantsville two weeks ago....

Well, if that's the case I apologize, I have a hard time with people who use "can't be" and "never/no way" for others experiences, if you don't believe things fine, unless your 100% sure, well you know how I feel.

Mr. Nice
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Prolawn,

I did not realize Gary M. attended Elaines class too with you,
Glad to hear he's sharpening his chops.

Barefoot James
01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
In the interest of all who are reading this thread there are many great benefits to using compost teas. How one goes about getting them brewed and then applied, the options are as varied and complicated as the product itself. My participation on this thread was to identify what has worked for me. I can’t speak for others, but I do know some information that I have shared on this thread to identify the leaders in this very small industry. As I have spoken many times I would probably be out of business in 2009 without input and communication from the site members here. Special Kudos go out from me to Tim Wilson who makes the Microbulator 50 that is such a rare find in this industry.

Why?

#1 it produces the highest quality tea possible (note KISS has picked it up and replaced their own). Great life under the scope in 12 hrs, 24 hrs, 36 hrs and 48 hrs – lots of protozoa’s – able to clean it, able to use your own barrel (low shipping costs), and the educational tools (CD’s – best use practices, tea recipes) that come with it as well as help from Tim.
#2 and it does not break the bank (about $500). I will be getting a second one in 2009 because of the success I had with it in 2008. CT’s have driven my business to tens of thousands of dollars in PROFITS and the need for more brewed tea.
ICT Organics and Bill are also a very big part of my business and keep things diversified with organic products that work. Another big profit earner and great for those who wish to get into this industry with stuff that works and even those who wish to get known diversity in heir herds should be using applications of the ICT. They also have some very unique products that work organically for insects, fungus issues and weeds/crabgrass.

Thanks to - Muddstopper, Kiril, tree & king, Barry, Dusty, Natty, Gary & many others have contributed big time to my learning and understanding of how business works and what processes work.

I try to do my best to help those who have programs that I know work. This site offers information so others can find their own path. We also should expose that which did not work or people who spread allot of misinformation. I try to make sure I do my best to clarify things, with these types of folks. Many times they do clarify something' which is better information than I previously had - so I learn. My only intention is to help those who wish to help themselves improve their own learning, so they can in turn help others learn.

Tim Wilson
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank you James, I hope I can keep earning your respect. Just so everyone is aware KIS is going to carry my 50 gallon brewer but they will be continuing to carry their 5 gallon brewer which is very good and very simple as the name says.

Trying not to advertise here; In the past month I've made some very large improvements to the microbulator 50. As I stated previously, I wanted to scrap the air stone diffusers eventually because they are not environmentally freindly to clean.

By changing the depth of the slots (width; 254 microns) in my PVC diffusers and lengthening the large one, I have now surpassed the dissolved oxygen generated by the stones. At 65 degrees, 39 TDS water I'm getting 12.4 PPM from a starting point of 9 PPM. From feedback I received from one microbulator owner, I have created a separate slotted diffuser for use in the extractor bag which is MUCH less likely to allow any heavier compost to sit still at the bottom of the bag. I have replaced the nylon clamps with stainless crimp clamps (permanently afixed) and brass threaded fittings, so no more fiddling with nylon clamps. The updated parts will include 3 new diffusers, some new extension pipe, a new extractor lid and the new air line. This change in slotting has vastly improved function. In future I will be ordering custom seamless bags but that will need to wait because it costs more than I have right now to order the bulk necessary.

I will be sending these out to the folks on this forum who own microbulators at my cost but may ask for some help with the cost of shipping and donations will be accepted. If I forget someone please email me.

Tim

DUSTYCEDAR
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
THAT IS WHY I BOUGHT TIMS BREWER
his continued commitment to making it better for all to come.

treegal1
01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
what I want to hear is Tim's first brewer story that's the one to hear!!! every one will say that there's is the greatest, some have a niche. and I have to say props to TIM for using a 55 gallon barrel and getting it to work. it is an under used resource that needs a second life, and he has done this well!

NattyLawn
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Thank you James, I hope I can keep earning your respect. Just so everyone is aware KIS is going to carry my 50 gallon brewer but they will be continuing to carry their 5 gallon brewer which is very good and very simple as the name says.

Trying not to advertise here; In the past month I've made some very large improvements to the microbulator 50. As I stated previously, I wanted to scrap the air stone diffusers eventually because they are not environmentally freindly to clean.

By changing the depth of the slots (width; 254 microns) in my PVC diffusers and lengthening the large one, I have now surpassed the dissolved oxygen generated by the stones. At 65 degrees, 39 TDS water I'm getting 12.4 PPM from a starting point of 9 PPM. From feedback I received from one microbulator owner, I have created a separate slotted diffuser for use in the extractor bag which is MUCH less likely to allow any heavier compost to sit still at the bottom of the bag. I have replaced the nylon clamps with stainless crimp clamps (permanently afixed) and brass threaded fittings, so no more fiddling with nylon clamps. The updated parts will include 3 new diffusers, some new extension pipe, a new extractor lid and the new air line. This change in slotting has vastly improved function. In future I will be ordering custom seamless bags but that will need to wait because it costs more than I have right now to order the bulk necessary.

I will be sending these out to the folks on this forum who own microbulators at my cost but may ask for some help with the cost of shipping and donations will be accepted. If I forget someone please email me.

Tim

Tim,

If we would have spent $2500 on your brewer, then I would expect the parts updates at no charge. But we spent 500 bucks on what most of us on here consider one of the better brewers on the market. And when you combine that with the customer service, the machine really can't be beat. So, please let us know the cost on the new parts, and we will reimburse you.

By the way, the reason I like the Microbulator 50 so much is I never thought I would see the biological diversity under the scope that I saw in the 5 gallon brews from the KIS brewer. That machine is top of the line as well.

1.2.3. green
02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
What kind of pump/ sprayer hook-up are being used to put tea down with the "RAIN" pattern of applying?

treegal1
02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
this type.............

DUSTYCEDAR
02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
nice colors

Mr. Nice
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.
They might as well be dead.

If the rain comes, if the rain comes.
When the sun shines they slip into the shade

And drink their lemonade.

When the sun shines, when the sun shines.

Rain, I don't mind. I could show you.....(Lennon/McCartney)

Sorry....the pretty color's brought back good memories:)

Mr. Nice
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Tree,

You use those for tea apps?

treegal1
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Tree,

You use those for tea apps?yes more or less
, most of the time i get the HD special and use a ball valve that has stood the 300 psi see if it blows test, after that its just turn the pressure down and let fly. mostly for lawns but the tree spray rig is not that different

DUSTYCEDAR
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
She said blows

phasthound
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
yes more or less
, most of the time i get the HD special and use a ball valve that has stood the 300 psi see if it blows test, after that its just turn the pressure down and let fly. mostly for lawns but the tree spray rig is not that different

I didn't have much luck with them due to clogging. Now I just use the ball valve and adjust as needed for turf, soil drenching and foliar on small trees & shrubs. I found this to be inexpensive and very practical.

Prolawnservice
02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Just a ball valve Barry, no nozzle or nothing?

phasthound
02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Just a ball valve Barry, no nozzle or nothing?

Yeah. After spending money on many guns and spray nozzles, I find I'm more comfortable just using the ball valve. I can easily adjust the spray from a fine mist for foliar application on shrubs & flowers to a little heavier spray for turf, even heavier for soil drench, and can also get up to 15' for small trees. I find it to be very efficient for what I'm doing. I try to apply tea to everything on the clients' properties as part of my maintenance program.
Keep in mind, I like to use more water in the mix than most others. I'll typically spray out 750gal a day.

I will switch over to a JD9 gun when I'm applying material that requires more specific application rates than tea.

lawncuttinfoo
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
No it is a quick attachment that takes a 1.5 inch hose down to a .75 inch hose. Also the CT (.75 inches) hose is 200 to 300 ft vs a 100 to 150 ft (1.5 inch) hydro hose.

I did not see any mention of compost tea on their options page. What exactly are the parts needed and just wondering what model you use?

treegal1
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I did not see any mention of compost tea on their options page. What exactly are the parts needed and just wondering what model you use?well after James kept it all to himself then I got stuck with the big hose, I am now looking at getting a hanny hose real and 300 foot of hose, cost about 500$, then I have both hoses on the trailer!!

Barefoot James
02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I usually spray with a 200 gal CT sprayer 70 psi 5.5 Honda. Puts out about 6 gals a min. I sometime spray lots of tea with my Turbo turf unit - but it does about 25 to 30 gals a min so I don't use it much for tea. Call TT and ask them specifics for their CT attachment.

lawncuttinfoo
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I usually spray with a 200 gal CT sprayer 70 psi 5.5 Honda. Puts out about 6 gals a min. I sometime spray lots of tea with my Turbo turf unit - but it does about 25 to 30 gals a min so I don't use it much for tea. Call TT and ask them specifics for their CT attachment.

the rittenhouse 5.5 hp sprayer says 60 gals per min.
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1066

Since this is reduced to 6 g/min, is there a way to reduce the gpms on the TT from the 25-30?

treegal1
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
at that rate why not just get a leg tank and one of these???

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65351

lawncuttinfoo
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry I'm confused, barefoot and treegal were suggesting hydroseeders to the OP a few days ago, now not so much? What happened in these few days to change your mind?

treegal1
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
there is nothing wrong with aether option, it more or less tank pump hose any way you shoot it.........

DUSTYCEDAR
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
WE ALL HAVE SOME A.D.D
so we chat all over the boards you have to be fast to keep up

Barefoot James
02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
But we are trying to help.:dancing:

Barefoot James
02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
It is just a better set up to use my CT 200 gal tank (made to do CT) with 300 ft of hose rather than my turbo turf unit that sprays way to fast and has a short hose.
They both have the use all I said before (I think, I said this) was if i had to do it over again I would have just got the TT unit with the CT hoses and saved myself a trip to Canada and $3000. Now I have two sprayers - but business is growing soooooo......... I guess I will need more Microbulators.

Barefoot James
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Lawnfoo,

I read what is says but I sprayed tea over 50 tanks last year and I never sprayed it out faster than 35 to 45 mins - even non stop - so maybewith no CT gun it would do that but It probably does 4 to 6 gpm average.

tree- that trash pump would explode the herd wouldn't it. The PSI has got to be off the charts??? - good price. I wonder if the engine is any good?

treegal1
02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
maybe it would get to high if it did not have the pressure recycled back into the tank....

we have a similar model for watering it was cheaper at under 200. it was just an idea for a cheap set up,,,, i like the pro gear that is all set up....

Prolawnservice
02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
well after James kept it all to himself then I got stuck with the big hose, I am now looking at getting a hanny hose real and 300 foot of hose, cost about 500$, then I have both hoses on the trailer!!

Thats what I have, got a used electric reel and hose from lesco for $100

lawncuttinfoo
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
It is just a better set up to use my CT 200 gal tank (made to do CT) with 300 ft of hose rather than my turbo turf unit that sprays way to fast and has a short hose.
They both have the use all I said before (I think, I said this) was if i had to do it over again I would have just got the TT unit with the CT hoses and saved myself a trip to Canada and $3000. Now I have two sprayers - but business is growing soooooo......... I guess I will need more Microbulators.

I'm still waiting on the email from TT but are you saying if I purchase it with a small hose I will be able to spray CT just as well as with the rittenhouse?

P.S. Sorry for the basic questions but the largest spray tank I have ever operated or even seen up close is a 5 gal backpack.

lawncuttinfoo
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Also, which model TT do you have / suggest ?

Barefoot James
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Mine is a 300 gal with a 13.5 Honda. This is the biggest one that will still fit in a full size PU bed. the rest need eithr flat beds or trailers. Even my 300 gal still seights 700 lbs empty so you will have to have 5 or 6 guys to help lift it in and out of you bed or have access to a fork lift or have a designated trailer that it just sits on. the other thing to consider is you may want to have a warm place to store it for winter. They say you can winterize it but for a 5 k investment i sure did not want to take a chance of it witting out all winter in the cold.

1.2.3. green
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Mine is a 300 gal with a 13.5 Honda. This is the biggest one that will still fit in a full size PU bed. the rest need eithr flat beds or trailers. Even my 300 gal still seights 700 lbs empty so you will have to have 5 or 6 guys to help lift it in and out of you bed or have access to a fork lift or have a designated trailer that it just sits on. the other thing to consider is you may want to have a warm place to store it for winter. They say you can winterize it but for a 5 k investment i sure did not want to take a chance of it witting out all winter in the cold.

what kind of full size pickup can you use? that sprayer goes for 3100ils. full right?:confused:

Barefoot James
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
When we do hydroseeding we don't fill up till we are on site. We just use a 1500 dodge ram but are only going 5 mph from the hydrant to the spray area. For teas we onlyfill it up to the 200 gal mark and don't drive but around the shop area houses or we drive it empty and again fill up at a hydrant and use ICT. No HWY use too heavy - not safe. We have a permit to use all city hydrants from the water co. Cost us $30 a month and $2 per 1000 gals.

With the 200 gal unit it weights in right at the bed limit of about 2000 lbs total so we use that unit for all the aact to go on HWY.

I would imagine you can get some beefed up suspensions and bigger trucks like 3/4 ton and half ton trucks that could handle 3500 lbs in the bed??

Otherwise a trailer would need to be used and those are a paoin when you are stop and going sometimes up to 40 homes in a day spraying tea.

We are getting up to about 200,000 sq ft off 50 tea mixed with 150 water - 200 total about 1 gal per 1000 sq ft or 45 gals per acre. Usually its much more than that - all depends on how wet it is the wetter the more we can strech if only moist we have to put more down. If dry w don't spray or we will water yard first.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
JAMES YOU NEED a bigger truck
i throw mine in the dually and off i go

Barefoot James
02-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Dusty,

Do you have a fork lift or a houst? How are you getting it in and out of the truck? Mines in a heated garage right now we used a fork lift.

A Dually would be great - what kind of weight can they take in the back?

We have a 2008 Silverado only 6 cyl - work truck - only cost 14K new! Gets 20 and 12 with trailer.

And later last summer bought a 4x4 2001 Dodge Ram WT with 88,000 miles for $3800 cash. So 2 trucks for under 18K. I would like to get a bigger one probably sell my 2008 and get a deal on a used dually but that is not on my wish list right now.

treegal1
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
James all of the vans/trucks we use are 350/3500. or greater, the work horse of the fleet is a 1990 ford F350 that runs on veg oil, it has 1.4 million miles on it, 3rd motor 5th trans. I dont even know how many brake jobs. and i would not trade it for its weight in gold, the truck with the 25 DU dump will tote about 36000, lbs with ease.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
MINES OUT IN THE SNOW RIGHT NOW
have a loader
i put 5k in mine all the time

treegal1
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
why don't you guys do a liquid ice melt service, some potassium salts an charcoal dust to turn the snow black. I don't know just watching the ice in my drink melt and thinking of you guys, and your ice

ICT Bill
02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
why don't you guys do a liquid ice melt service, some potassium salts an charcoal dust to turn the snow black. I don't know just watching the ice in my drink melt and thinking of you guys, and your ice

because the charcoal gets tracked in the house

the little piece of salt do, but you do not notice them as much
big dark foot prints show up

treegal1
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
ah i see.... why do they shovel/melt the stuff any ways????just walk on it??

DUSTYCEDAR
02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Coal dust nice

treegal1
02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Coal dust nice

no, you want carbonized C not fossilized C

DUSTYCEDAR
02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Oh i c said the

treegal1
02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
as he shook his wooden leg , and threw splinters in the air

DUSTYCEDAR
02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
For all to c

ICT Bill
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Oh i c said the

blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw

DUSTYCEDAR
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw

sawed up all the people he could find on friday the 13th

treegal1
02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
yes it is lucky Friday the 13th, party down tonight!!!!

and so far today has been great, except for one fiberglass splinter, but eh goes with the territory

1.2.3. green
02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
:eek:Must be codes ... --- .. -..- ..

44DCNF
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, I had my tongue in front of my eye tooth and couldn't see what you were saying.

Pristine1
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
ah i see.... why do they shovel/melt the stuff any ways????just walk on it??

Because when it starts to melt, you then have a slushy mix on your drive/walk and you get stuck....could that be the voice of experience!???

treegal1
02-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I see then, slushies, sounds great, I want one of those now as I am going to surf on my lunch break today, the waves are wild!!!!!

Pristine1
02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Just wait until July/Aug. when all of you are miserable in that 100% humidity and 100 degree temps....it'll be 75 with a nice gentle sea breeze up here.....oh yeah, and I'll be eating my lobster that cost me $5 at the dock around the corner from my house!

Yeah, I'm sick of winter....still got 2' of snow on the ground, but it is beginning to melt!

Kiril
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'm sick of winter....still got 2' of snow on the ground, but it is beginning to melt!

Until the next blizzard dumps another 2'. :laugh:

Pristine1
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Until the next blizzard dumps another 2'. :laugh:

That wasn't very nice....I'm in denial, and spring will be here next week....gotta love zone 5!

Kiril
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
That wasn't very nice....I'm in denial, and spring will be here next week....gotta love zone 5!

Keep dreaming. :laugh: Don't miss the NE one bit.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 01:26 PM
eh it was to windy to surf so I got some rays on the back deck and did my emails for the day, and chatted with the LS bunch. time to go and do some QC...........

Kiril
02-13-2009, 01:31 PM
eh it was to windy to surf so I got some rays on the back deck and did my emails for the day, and chatted with the LS bunch. time to go and do some QC...........

WAIT!!!! I still haven't received my BOTD yet! ;)

lawncuttinfoo
02-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Does anyone have/make a sprayer that has aeration in it?

All of the sprayers I have researched have jet agitation only, with a few having additional mechanical agitation.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
not that I know of yet, I do make an add on...........

lawncuttinfoo
02-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm trying to compare the turbo turf hydroseeders to a dedicated Rittenhouse CT sprayer.

Besides the functionality of a hydroseeder am I correct in assuming that I would not have to strain the tea very much since the narrowest portion would be the 1/2" hose and the nozzle which is easy to unclog?
What is the narrowest portion on the Rittenhouse sprayers? It looks like the pumps and such have narrower pipes.

Does the turbo turf have more agitation than the Rittenhouse, I would think mixing a seed slurry needs more power than mixing water, additionally if this jet mixing is more powerful would there be more danger in harming the biology?

The turbo turf units are listed at 87 PSI, is there some way to reduce this to help the biology? (70 PSI is a good PSI right?)

Lots of questions :)

FOL
02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
The sprayer can be tricky to figure out espicially if your in the start up mode like I. I am going to run power from my suv to run a air pump on my tanks when I am driving for areation. As for being stationary, I will be using a low pressre centrifugal pump for spraying and my agitation system is going to run from that, hopefully it doesnt hurt the little dudes, wont know untill I look at them under the scope; I am sure I will need to make some modifications at somepoint. Speak to the people at Turbo Turf and let them know you are going to be spraying ct and they have options. Plus everyone on this forum is here to help, ask questions and just learn from your mistakes.

phasthound
02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
The sprayer can be tricky to figure out espicially if your in the start up mode like I. I am going to run power from my suv to run a air pump on my tanks when I am driving for areation. As for being stationary, I will be using a low pressre centrifugal pump for spraying and my agitation system is going to run from that, hopefully it doesnt hurt the little dudes, wont know untill I look at them under the scope; I am sure I will need to make some modifications at somepoint. Speak to the people at Turbo Turf and let them know you are going to be spraying ct and they have options. Plus everyone on this forum is here to help, ask questions and just learn from your mistakes.

You can buy a nice rig from http://greenprosolutions.com/standard_features.htm
Right Barefoot?

I've been told by Elaine that the jostling around while driving and recirculating while spraying is enough to keep the brew aerated.

FOL
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Talked to those guys over there; nice people, yeah maybe if i had my rich mommy and daddy I could buy one of those sprayers. But I dont and us new guys need to budget now and PREPARE for the future. But at the same time find that difficult medium and move forward.

lawncuttinfoo
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes I have called both Turbo Turf and Rittenhouse but neither can compare their products to the other, thats why I am asking here. :)

So if anyone can answer my questions, that would be much appreciated.

bicmudpuppy
02-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I see then, slushies, sounds great, I want one of those now as I am going to surf on my lunch break today, the waves are wild!!!!!

Mutter, Mutter, swear, swear..............can't wait to tell TG about reaching for a Jacket on that cool high desert night in JULY.

treegal1
02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes I have called both Turbo Turf and Rittenhouse but neither can compare their products to the other, thats why I am asking here. :)

So if anyone can answer my questions, that would be much appreciated.If i had to do it all over again it would be the hydroseeder!!!!!!

Mr. Nice
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Two completely different animals. what is it you are trying to do?

what to start cheap? real cheap? garden hose,extension cord, 1 hp+ sub pump
barrel/container, make your tea, drop the pump and....

hunter
02-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Take a look at Dultmeier at http://dultmeier.com/ They have everything you need and at good prices.

All the nozzles you'll need and sprayers. Our build your own. They have the parts.

lawncuttinfoo
02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Two completely different animals. what is it you are trying to do?

what to start cheap? real cheap? garden hose,extension cord, 1 hp+ sub pump
barrel/container, make your tea, drop the pump and....

I'm looking for a premade ~300 gallon sprayer $3,000-$10,000 to go along with the 50 gallon microbulator so I can spray my 50,000-100,000 sq ft in one day and not spend 5 days with a 5 gallon backpack and 5 gallon brewer.
I prefer a well designed product to minimize downtime.

I have never touched a sprayer over 5 gallons, no way I'm going to build a sprayer...yet.

I love the idea of adding a hydroseeder into my toolkit while adding a CT sprayer, but if it will be at the cost of CT quality/ease of use, then I will not get it.

I understand the overall opinions but does anyone have specific answers to my questions? Pretty please:)

Barefoot James
02-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Then get the TT unit with the 300 ft hose kit. About $5500 plus shipping.

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
This is from TT site - go to prices and specs and then options -

Seed & Spray combo package, allows any Turbo Turf Hydro Seeding System to be used both as a hydro seeding unit and as a sprayer. To convert from hydro seeding to spraying is simply a matter of flushing the unit out well, and changing the quick coupler from the 100' of 1 1/4" id hydro seeding hose to the 150' of 1/2" sprayer hose on a hose reel with a lawn spray gun. This works well for applying lawn fertilizer and other chemicals. There is not enough pressure for use as a tree sprayer or for deep root feeding.
Spray and Seed with manual hose reel $ 500.00

As above with electric hose reel... $ 895.00

I would get 300 ft of hose and ask them if they can put a regulator on the pump to keep the pressure down to 70psi when useing the pump to spray tea.
I don't know if they can do that but ask.

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes the TT has more agitation and powerful jets but you can control this or turn them off completly. I own both and I already said if i had to do it over i would get the TT - more options - bottom line.

hunter
02-14-2009, 12:15 AM
For $4700 plus shipping you can buy this 300 gallon from Dultmeier.

http://www.dultmeier.com/catpages/E0422.gif

treegal1
02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I have a 2+1 for under 3000...............

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Well.... that tank set up would suck and here is why. I just don't know why they still make these crappy tanks. Why? Look at the legs - first off why does it have legs??? Stability - probably but they can build rack systems now to replace the legs - why are legs not good? When you get to the end of material you spray how many gallons - yes I said gallons of liq, is left trapped in the legs and other areas of the tank - some times the tank outlet is up so high you may have 15 to 30 gallons left in the tank. Think about that - No way to drain it. Some times these tanks have another drain that lets you get out most (not all most) of the stuff but still the only way to get it all out is to suck it out with a dry vac - this sucks. I end up with about 3 to 4 gallons in my rittenhouse round tank - like a doughnut laying flat - because the outlet to the suction hose sits 3 inches above the bottom - and I even have a jury rigged slope built under the tank tu funnel it to the outlet or I would literally have 20 gals to suck out. Heck I even have to make sure my last spray job is parked on a step slope to get the CT left over down to 3 gallons.

So the folks like Turbo Turf have come along and looked at this and the LOWEST point of the tank is where the suction line is attached - EVERY OUNCE of slurry, ct or what ever you spray goes out of the tank. You can even add more water at the end of what ever you spray and you can force out all the stuff left in the hose out and all you are left with is some water in the hose that can easily be drained. Everything moves to the center bottom of their tanks. This is a huge benefit to using Turbo Turf or these types of tanks. Use it all baby - easier to clean up too - just spray they insides with hose and it goes right out.

lawncuttinfoo
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
I would get 300 ft of hose and ask them if they can put a regulator on the pump to keep the pressure down to 70psi when useing the pump to spray tea.
I don't know if they can do that but ask.

I end up with about 3 to 4 gallons in my rittenhouse round tank.

Turbo Turf have come along and looked at this and the LOWEST point of the tank is where the suction line is attached

Thank you very much for this information, this helps alot.

treegal1
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Well.... that tank set up would suck and here is why. I just don't know why they still make these crappy tanks. Why? Look at the legs - first off why does it have legs??? Stability - probably but they can build rack systems now to replace the legs - why are legs not good? When you get to the end of material you spray how many gallons - yes I said gallons of liq, is left trapped in the legs and other areas of the tank - some times the tank outlet is up so high you may have 15 to 30 gallons left in the tank. Think about that - No way to drain it. Some times these tanks have another drain that lets you get out most (not all most) of the stuff but still the only way to get it all out is to suck it out with a dry vac - this sucks. I end up with about 3 to 4 gallons in my rittenhouse round tank - like a doughnut laying flat - because the outlet to the suction hose sits 3 inches above the bottom - and I even have a jury rigged slope built under the tank tu funnel it to the outlet or I would literally have 20 gals to suck out. Heck I even have to make sure my last spray job is parked on a step slope to get the CT left over down to 3 gallons.

So the folks like Turbo Turf have come along and looked at this and the LOWEST point of the tank is where the suction line is attached - EVERY OUNCE of slurry, ct or what ever you spray goes out of the tank. You can even add more water at the end of what ever you spray and you can force out all the stuff left in the hose out and all you are left with is some water in the hose that can easily be drained. Everything moves to the center bottom of their tanks. This is a huge benefit to using Turbo Turf or these types of tanks. Use it all baby - easier to clean up too - just spray they insides with hose and it goes right out.

thats the reason we are starting to produce our own units, we that and 10 other good reasons, air, dual tanks, water filter, pump life, wear parts, trailer option with wheels and lights on the unit, extractor option in the future................

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 12:11 PM
That one has legs too tree - the whole bottom has got to funnel towards the bottom. maybe that unit has solid filled legs (so liq can't go in) and then the tank is funneled but usually the tanks I have seen are hollow including the legs. I don't know why they couldn't make one with solid legs and tank that is funneled to center bottom?? Anyone know?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-14-2009, 12:17 PM
blow mold and cheep is why also stronger with the legs
does stink to clean out
my drain is on the bottom of the tank so the legs dont matter much
i can suck it down to nothing if not just park truck on curb to slope it

Kiril
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
That one has legs too tree - the whole bottom has got to funnel towards the bottom. maybe that unit has solid filled legs (so liq can't go in) and then the tank is funneled but usually the tanks I have seen are hollow including the legs. I don't know why they couldn't make one with solid legs and tank that is funneled to center bottom?? Anyone know?

more material would be my guess.

treegal1
02-14-2009, 12:33 PM

its a core cell type tank, if you look inside NO legs, it also has an R value. and can stand 5 psi of pressure!!! bi-axial fiber construction with UV poly

hunter
02-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Yes it does have legs they flow. But they do not hold 3 gallons of liquid. I know I have a tank just like it. The sump is at the bottom in the middle of the tank. So all liquid does flow out. It just how you order it.

Don't know what manufacturer puts a sump area three inches above the bottom. But I wouldn't use a manufacturer that couldn't think about how their product is going to be used. Northern Tool will sell you a tank that has the sump in the front at the bottom and theirs will hold liquid.

I never have anything left in my tank when spraying, except the left over vermicompost that makes it through the filter bag when we pump it in the tank. We are able to pump it out with our sprayer. That's why we use a diaphragm pump that can be run dry.

That 300 gallon sprayer with an 8 horse honda engine is only 4700.00 is a good price for a high pressure sprayer. No it want pump the hydro mulch with seed. But it will handle CT with no problems. Of course I like building my own and get it my way each time.

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Turbo Turf - HS-300-EH 300 gallon skid type,13 H.P.Honda Electric Start 3"x3" pump, seeds 4000 sq. ft $ 4,995.00 - will do Hydroseeding, hydro mulching and spray compost tea, or any other liquid. Don't limit yourself. This one keeps options open that would not exist - without.

Pristine1
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Is 200' the longest hose you can get with it or can you go longer???

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 02:36 PM
You would need to go up to another size engine like a 24 HP Honda and they will do 250 ft of hose maybe 300. keep in mind with 200 ft of hose you can spray hydro mulch out another 50 to 70 ft so they are good for up to 270 ft away from tank. I'm talking hydro seeding or hydro feeding. These hoses are 1.5 inches wide. Keep in mind a hose this size 200 ft filled with hydro slurry is very heavy

Now if you are talking a 1/2 inch hose like for spraying CT you could use a 300 to 500 ft hose no problem

DUSTYCEDAR
02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
you can run a 1/2 hose for tea or one inch if you like
the thick slurry is why big hose is needed to seed but for tea smaller hose is great

DUSTYCEDAR
02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
james beat me again:weightlifter:

Mr. Nice
02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
you hydro seeder owners, I have a couple of questions for you guy's.

I have never used one before, And wondering..

I understand factors like hose diameter/length/nozzle opening/engine rpm's can factor
in how much GPM come out..?

What is the least amount of GPM this system is capable of?
the most GPM possible using a 3/4"-1" hose?
What is the effect on the micro herd once gone through whole system?

Is cleaning easy?
It has bottom drain correct?

fl-landscapes
02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
James all of the vans/trucks we use are 350/3500. or greater, the work horse of the fleet is a 1990 ford F350 that runs on veg oil, it has 1.4 million miles on it, 3rd motor 5th trans. I dont even know how many brake jobs. and i would not trade it for its weight in gold, the truck with the 25 DU dump will tote about 36000, lbs with ease.

Keep in mind you need a cdl class b Lis. if your rig weighs more than 25,999 pounds.

treegal1
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
dont worry about my lic. i had to upgrade to an A for the live bottom truck

lawncuttinfoo
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Turbo Turf - HS-300-EH 300 gallon skid type,13 H.P.Honda Electric Start 3"x3" pump, seeds 4000 sq. ft $ 4,995.00 - will do Hydroseeding, hydro mulching and spray compost tea, or any other liquid. Don't limit yourself. This one keeps options open that would not exist - without.

Whats the difference between this 3x3 pump and the 4x4 pump on the next model up?

fl-landscapes
02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
dont worry about my lic. i had to upgrade to an A for the live bottom truck

I wasn't worried about your lis. I just thought people should keep in in mind when they are purchasing trucks and water tanks. At 8.5 pounds per gallon it adds up. And anything over the 25999 GVW will need at least a b-cdl. Thats all.

treegal1
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I wasn't worried about your lis. I just thought people should keep in in mind when they are purchasing trucks and water tanks. At 8.5 pounds per gallon it adds up. And anything over the 25999 GVW will need at least a b-cdl. Thats all.dude we are in the capitol of the class E 35000+ load, and the 12000lb one ton truck...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pristine1
02-14-2009, 08:01 PM
You would need to go up to another size engine like a 24 HP Honda and they will do 250 ft of hose maybe 300. keep in mind with 200 ft of hose you can spray hydro mulch out another 50 to 70 ft so they are good for up to 270 ft away from tank. I'm talking hydro seeding or hydro feeding. These hoses are 1.5 inches wide. Keep in mind a hose this size 200 ft filled with hydro slurry is very heavy

Now if you are talking a 1/2 inch hose like for spraying CT you could use a 300 to 500 ft hose no problem

I'm sorry, I did mean the hose for CT, and 3-500' would be plenty....I was hoping for 300. Thanks!

treegal1
02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
24 Hp??? what are we doing with that????, you have to think about the long term use and the ease of use. yes I do the hydro seeder thing also but its a 13 Hp honda,and I only use it for larger yards that need the faster app rate. for under 5 K maybe just a sprayer, although with great compost then why get the spreader. just hydro compost

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Foo,

About $2000 to $4000 - LOL

I think the hoses are bigger from the tnk to the pump and you get 2 extra jet aggitators in the tank.

I have the 300 with the 13.5 Honda and electric start. This is plenty for what I do. I would like to spray more compost but it does not matter what size engine you get it is all about how fine the compost is. Basically you can put several hundred pounds in a tank if it is screened at 1/8 inch - which is pretty small - worm casting no problem. but the clogs seem to happen right at the nozzle of the sprayer. It is easy to tell when this happens as the spray changes. So you turn the nozzle off unscrew the tip and tap it out screw it back on and keep spraying. Sticks from compost will do this and for what ever reason plastic pieces from the paper mulch we use in hydroseeding clog it up at least once a load - but it is a quick unscrew - tap and screw. 10 secs. Some folks try to spray compost slurries with unscreened compost and clog the entire hose up??? I have heard stories of them having to spend hours getting them unclogged - so learn from this and don't use unscreend compost - only 1/8 of smaller stuff. Right tree????

treegal1
02-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh yes, I laid hands in some 3/32..

Barefoot James
02-14-2009, 10:29 PM
too big - LOL

treegal1
02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
if that's to big then it will go into the worm screener

lawncuttinfoo
02-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Basically you can put several hundred pounds in a tank if it is screened at 1/8 inch ... only 1/8 of smaller stuff. Right tree????

This is another reason I am interested in the hydroseeder, I do not have a dedicated compost spreader but I would very much like to be able to topdress without buying a pricy and large piece of equip. When you say several hundred pounds, what kind of water to compost ratio do you need to use?

Also, do you purchase compost prescreened or screen it yourself?

treegal1
02-15-2009, 01:24 AM
1 lbs to the gallon is the norm but can push almost 2...

Turboguy
02-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Whats the difference between this 3x3 pump and the 4x4 pump on the next model up?

Sorry to be late for the party. The 3 x 3 unit like James has (Hi James) puts out 333 GPM and 72 PSI max which makes a good pressure for CT. The 4X4 pump with the 18 HP is 640 GPM and 63 PSI and the 4x4 pump with the 24 hp Honda and 27 Kohler is 87 PSI and 740 GPM max. You can adjust the pressure down so keeping it under 70 PSI is not a problem.

When going with the seed and spray option and with 300' of hose would be fine but I would suggest going to 3/4" hose with that length. I have never tried more than 300' to know if it would work. I can play with that when the weather gets better and see what the max distance really is.

James, there are smaller nozzles available if you want less than 25 GPM flow. We don't provide them for hydroseeding but for CT or lawn chemicals they work fine and are not expensive. We can supply about any flow you would ever want.

Turboguy
02-15-2009, 09:02 AM
you hydro seeder owners, I have a couple of questions for you guy's.

I have never used one before, And wondering..

I understand factors like hose diameter/length/nozzle opening/engine rpm's can factor
in how much GPM come out..?

What is the least amount of GPM this system is capable of?
the most GPM possible using a 3/4"-1" hose?
What is the effect on the micro herd once gone through whole system?

Is cleaning easy?
It has bottom drain correct?

Very good questions. The nozzle will be the determining factor on your gpm. Least would be most anything 1 gpm if you wanted. Most GPM with a 3/4" hose would be in the 10-11 GPM range. Most with a 1" hose would be about 22-25 GPM. (These are ballpark but should be within a gallon or two)

Cleaning is easy, just add a little water 35-50 gallons turn it on, open the agitation and spray it out.

There is a bottom drain. It is more for emergencies and if you wanted to use it often I would suggest adding an elbow, a small piece of hose and a ball valve to make it easy but I doubt you need to use it often.

It has very wide open passages and a lot of pump clearance. With the pressures it operates at it should be very microbe friendly.

Turboguy
02-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I apologize that we were not able to compare the units for you. Either Brenda or I should have been able to do that.

Rittenhouse's CT sprayer is a nice unit and I have no doubts it works fine. I have not seen the unit itself to compare totally. I have looked at photos of it and we did build a few dedicated compost tea sprayers and looked at everyones designs including theirs to compare. They seem to be using a Hypro 9200 series pump which is a good pump. The pressures and flow should be fine for CT. My impressions were like yours about the plumbing size. It does appear to be small. Our passages through the main part of the plumbing are 3" I.D. and to the agitation drops to 1 1/2".

There is not enough force in the agitation to cause any adverse effect on living micro organisms. I would not expect that to be a problem. My guess is that if it has any effect at all it could be to oxygenate the mix a little which to me would be a plus but that is speculation.

Personally I think either unit would work fine for you. The plus on the Rittenhouse would be a slightly lower cost and the plus on the TT would be a little more versatility since it could also be used for hydroseeding, lawn care or anti-icing.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
1/2 hose will work fine for tea

ICT Bill
02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
This is another reason I am interested in the hydroseeder, I do not have a dedicated compost spreader but I would very much like to be able to topdress without buying a pricy and large piece of equip. When you say several hundred pounds, what kind of water to compost ratio do you need to use?

Also, do you purchase compost prescreened or screen it yourself?

We discussed this last year quite a bit, a couple things

The compost/water mix can lay the blades of the grass down and trap them under the compost, the result is dead or heavily yellowed grass because it is under the compost mix and out of the sun. I would think someone following with a rake could fix that issue

Spray directly from the shoulder from above or shoot the mixture up into the air so it comes down like rain was another discussion. I don't have any experience with either, someone else???

Anyone I have seen do it uses 1/8 minus screened compost, this gets a smaller compost size so it doesn't clog but also gets out most of the debris that may clog it

I have seen typically 1 1/2 yards of compost to a 1000 gallons, this is an excellent way to overseed on new bare ground sites. The compost retains water very well and gets the seedling off to a great start

What is the difference in price to wood or cellulose based products used for the same reason (for new hydroseed sites). anybody know? typical price for a yard of decent compost around here is $15 to $25 depending on how much quantity you buy

1000 gallons of mix will cover how much area????

there are new LEED standards (also look at sustainable sites initiative) for percent of soil organic matter in top soil in new construction. I would think it would be a simple way to be compliant or help be compliant

Turboguy
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Bill,

Paper hydro seeding mulch will run about $ 10.00 - $ 12.00 for a 40 pound bale although I have seen it as high as $ 20.00 but that price would be a rip off. Wood based mulches would run $ 12.00 to $ 15.00 for a 40 pound - 50 pound bale. Again some might sell it for more but that should be a pretty typical price. Hope that helps.

Dusty, Thanks, when I was talking about the 3/4" hose I was thinking more about having enough pressure to get it through 300+ feet of hose. 1/2" hose would probably be ok for 300' at 70 PSI but a bigger hose would work better for that distance or longer.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-15-2009, 12:57 PM
BIGGER IS BETTER
but i am a wee little fellow and i can only drag so much
this being said you can take 150 feet of 1-1/4 hose and hook it to the 1/2 and get a lot further out with out killing your back:)

lawncuttinfoo
02-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I apologize that we were not able to compare the units for you.

They seem to be using a Hypro 9200 series pump which is a good pump.

Sorry, I worded that a bit wrong, I did not even ask because I did not expect a cross company comparison.

What pump is used in the HS-300-EH?

I have never used a sprayer but just thinking physics I would think dropping the hose down to 1/2" or using a 5 gal/min nozzle instead of a 30 gal/min nozzle increases the PSI throughout the system the system. (er I suppose the tank is not pressurized? so everything else in the system)
If this is true is there a way to make sure that nowhere the tea is experiencing over 70 PSI?(actually how about 15 PSI?)

lawncuttinfoo
02-15-2009, 02:10 PM
So if I decide to go with a dedicated CT only sprayer what other options are out there comparable to the Rittenhouse (this issue of the pump not being at the very bottom of the tank is a real turn off.)

bicmudpuppy
02-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I have seen hydroseeders, but never actually done any hydroseeding. My understanding was that the whole system relies on the ability of the system to maintain enough agitation to keep everything suspended properly. Design would be the factor here if lower pressures are important (and I realize they are). To get lower in pressure, the amount of water being moved has to increase. I could envision a 2" trash pump keeping a fairly large volume tank suspended IF we did not restrict the pump any more than absolutely necessary. Now, the question would be can you divert a 1" line off of the pump discharge to spray w/o losing significant agitation. Such a rig would spray CT or suspended compost equally well. Adding seed to the suspended compost to hydroseed should not be a problem. Making your own rig might be easier than trying to adapt someone else's design. Abandoned Ag tanks litter the world. A large poly tank becomes trash because it is cheaper to buy a new rig than it is to buy the parts to make an older rig function. Ball valve on the effluent and influent lines with cam locks to the pump mean you could swap tanks quickly if that was the intent.

Barefoot James
02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Well I'm glad turbo guy has come to our thread to better explain options etc. Welcome - we need all the help we can get.

Foo you can get more bang for the buck spreading compost just using a wheel barrel and really high powered Back pack blower. buy the time you scoop it and mix it into a hydro seeder + adding the water, etc you could have spread out 1 yard over 6,000 sq ft of turf. BUT with a hydro seeder it is great to be able to throw 40 to 100 pounds of worm casts in the slurry or into your CT and spray it out. the other really ool thing about using the hydro seed hose and set up for CT is I can drive by a yard park the truck turn on the pump and not even unwrap the hose and spray from the street and do the entire front yard with ONE swipe - takes like 30 seconds to spray tea on 2000 to 3000 square ft - seriously - it is a riot 30 secs does up to 30 gals on 3000 sq ft or 10 per 1000. 30 secs and you don't even have to un wind the hose. tree has a big old spayer what 1000 gals tree? And she drives down one side and hit the other and does like 30 home in 10 mins - front only. Try that with something other than a hydro seeder.

treegal1
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I traded the big one for I think its a hrdro terra,H200, that was almost new,and some other toys. the old unit was a finn, with steel tankarotten. yes for fast apps its the way to go for large yards or for a feed mix for grass.....

i did keep the 250 foot reel and hose i added to the finn

lawncuttinfoo
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
If I went with a non hydroseeder how careful would I have to be about straining the tea? I suppose with a hydroseeder I would not have to strain much at all if any?

treegal1
02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
50 mesh.................

bicmudpuppy
02-16-2009, 01:43 AM
50 mesh.................

50 mesh would be the standard teejet screen for 1gal/m applications. For CT, would you lose much running it through a 100 mesh screen? I realize your going to filter most of the fine compost out at that level of screening, but the majority of the nutrients and all of the "herd" are going to pass through no problem, right?

treegal1
02-16-2009, 06:23 AM
I dont know, we just have a large surplus 20 gallon stainless filter basket that we have been using for the last year, it will fit inside the mouth(16 inch) of our sprayers and after filling we can just take out the filter and dump it in the worm bins. if i had to have one made it may cost hundreds to duplicate, surplus 45$.

as fer as who makes it past the filter?? how plugged up is said filter, and from what I have seen with the Hypro d 403 pumps they wont hurt with some mud.............

Turboguy
02-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I think I have a bunch of those here if anyone wants one for the same price.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
turbo you have a bunch of what? for how much?

treegal1
02-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I think I have a bunch of those here if anyone wants one for the same price. 50 mesh strainer baskets???

DUSTYCEDAR
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
can i where it like a helmet and go to war with the weeds

Turboguy
02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
20 gallon stainless filter basket that will fit inside the mouth(16 inch) of a sprayer. They are surplus for us as well. We got some with the idea of making a brine generator using them but dropped the project. I would be happy to get $ 45.00 out of them. It sounds like they could be pretty handy for some of the things you guys do.

Turboguy
02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I have 7 of these strainer baskets. I think two may be spoken for. If anyone wants any let me know.

Prolawnservice
02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Turboguy, I sent you a PM

Turboguy
02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks ProLawn, I sent you an e-mail. Should have 4 of these left now if anyone else wants one.

lawncuttinfoo
02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
I end up with about 3 to 4 gallons in my rittenhouse round tank - like a doughnut laying flat - because the outlet to the suction hose sits 3 inches above the bottom

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1066

Rittenhouse now says its a "low profile, graduated tank ", is this what you have and are refeering to when you say round, or do you have a different tank?

lawncuttinfoo
02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Is it difficult to use the sprayers with the hose reel facing the front, compared to those that fact the side?

What CT:water ratio is everyone using in these 300 gal + sprayers?

Dotens
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
This thread has me thinking about applying tea with hydroseeders. I have a question and it my be real stupid so bear with me on this. Why dont you just spray the compost tea out of the regular hydroseeding hose and nozzle? It seems to me the only drawback would be a heavy hose? Whould there be any other factors why you would not do this? It seems to me that you could put down lots of tea in a hurry:)
Thanks

Pristine1
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
That is my plan this season, however, I will be working on some large properties that will require a longer hose than what a hydroseeder has. So for me that would be a drawback.

treegal1
02-17-2009, 03:00 PM
you will also use more tea with the hydro.............

Dotens
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
more tea is that a good thing??

treegal1
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
yes if you have it, that or add more water......

Turboguy
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I would say that the two disadvantages of using the hydro seeder hose is first the weight is more and you may need more hose than most hydroseeders have as standard equipment. The second disadvantage is that with the standard hydroseeding nozzle your application rate may be faster than you would like but smaller nozzles are available and are only $ 19.95.

treegal1
02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I am sure that one of the commercial hose reels on-line can do a 1 inch hose, maybe look for the golf-course supplier.

me I got lucky and found a used fire hose and real, 300 foot of 1 inch ID hose with a motor that will drag you across the yard, there out there, find what you think you will need.

also, I wish like mad I could tell you that me or any one for that matter has the Swiss army sprayer. one that even does the billing, but they are all different and have there points. turbo guy said"disadvantages" and I almost fainted. it is not a disadvantage to spray that much, IMO, you just NEED a bigger hose...:laugh::laugh:

Turboguy
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
There are a lot of hose reels that will do that much 1" line. That should not be a problem. I do think there are more advantages to getting a job done fast rather than being there forever but there may be some times working around tight areas where more control and a lower application rate might be better. Of course it only takes seconds to change a nozzle.

Dotens
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
turbo i have all of the origional nozzles for the tt 100 and the tt500zx is there any smaller nozzles u feel would be more appropriate?

Turboguy
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
The smallest tip we provide with the hydro seeding units is 25 GPM. Personally I think that should have enough control and still be fairly fast but we can provide smaller nozzles if you think you need one. Personally I don't think it is really neccessary but if you find you need something smaller let me know and we can do it.

Mr. Nice
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
turbo dude,

Do you have flow spec's for your system such as is i wanted to add a 1/2" 300ft line what are the GPM at tip with no nozzle?
for your

2X2
3X3
4X4......pumps?

Turboguy
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
The 2 x 2 pumps only operate at about 30 psi and I doubt they have enough umph to pump through 300' of 1/2" hose, 3/4" perhaps. My best guess is the 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 would put out about 4 GPM through that length of 1/2 hose and probably be about 30 PSI at the end. Hope that helps.

Mr. Nice
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
right on..... thanks for your honest feed back,

telling it like it is goes far in my eye's...

treegal1
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
i was just about to say a 1/2 inch hose holds about 3 gallons of water and...... I know Kiril was getting a good chuckle out of us........ so we are back to broad sward or scalpel, the broad sward being the hydro seeder and the scalpel being the sprayer. and, one seem to work for some things and the other is good for other things. Its like I said that before somewhere............. maybe after i bought both

lawncuttinfoo
02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
i was just about to say a 1/2 inch hose holds about 3 gallons of water and...... I know Kiril was getting a good chuckle out of us........ so we are back to broad sward or scalpel, the broad sward being the hydro seeder and the scalpel being the sprayer. and, one seem to work for some things and the other is good for other things. Its like I said that before somewhere............. maybe after i bought both

Or buy the hydroseeder with a smaller hose and nozzle for a dual ended broadsword/scalpel, right?

Mr. Nice
02-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I believe she's saying use the right tool for the job at hand?
but it's just a guess? i don't want to put words in other people's mouths.

lawncuttinfoo
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I was messaging with Ray at Turbo Turf and I asked about some plumbing from the pump to the top of the tank that appears in one of the pictures of their sprayers.

http://www.turboturf.com/500e1.jpg

He said that this "bale buster" option cycles the mix back into the tank from above and I thought that this may be perfect for aeration. Do you think a steady stream from above would be sufficient for aeration?
Possibly even for brewing?

Do any owners of the Turbo Turfs have this bale buster option on their units, furthermore, done any tests on this extending the life of the biology?

I theorize this may possibly extend the "use within 4-6 hours of brewing" that is recommended after brewing, to 8-10 hours possibly? (wishful thinking?)

This led me to thinking about the length of time to spray, how long does everyone spray with these big sprayers and do you notice the tea increasing in temp during long hot days?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-19-2009, 10:51 AM
THAT might work for keeping the tea going a little longer
as for brewing i doubt it in the tank
also the pump adds heat to the tank

Barefoot James
02-19-2009, 11:10 AM
You can add aerifiers from aquarium shops. tree refered me to one and for about $300 you can get a commercial grade one that hooks to your electrical sysem of your truck. This same unit was designed to make sure fish in transport had enough oxygen in their transportation tank, so I imagine you would have plenty for your tea to extend the life. Temp for sure would rise in the tank on hot summer days due to the outside temb (obviously) AND microbe energy and water movement. I again have no idea what this means but tree and tim say that different microbs like different temps so you may have many different herds when you finish spraying than when you started??

I bet tims brewer could be retro fitted to use in these tanks for tea?? tim??