PDA

View Full Version : Presentation options (a semi-interactive diagram)

JDUtah
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey guys!

A new question that might add some variety to this forum.

I have a site that will sell lawn care to locals. I want it to include a diagram that will explain a particular cycle (nutrient cycle). This will help me sell my service and hopefully earn me some back links. I want it to be fairly interactive so it can explain, with a little detail, each stage in the cycle. (each step on the diagram)

I can think of two ways to do it.

1- Use flash. My question is, how easy is a flash program to create? Are there any freeware or open source flash creation programs? How long of a learning curve do you think it would have? Do you think I should stay away from flash so I can reach a bigger audience? Should I use flash to get a better page rank with upcoming ranking rules (interactive sites)?

2- Create a diagram image that displays the cycle. Position this image on the top of the page. Then combine an image map with Kiril's (thanks BTW) CSS hover technique to show/hide a div. By doing this I could have the detailed information display in a div underneath the diagram when the user mouses over any stage of the cycle on the image?

Are there any other ways you can think of to display a semi-interactive diagram? What method would you recommend?

Thanks,
David

Turboguy
01-20-2009, 07:21 AM
I have never played with Flash but a while back the popular free program that may used for creating Flash files was a program called Splash. I am sure you could find it quickly with a search. I never tried learning either program but it does strike me as having a bit of a learning curve.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish but the simple way to me would be to do it with a slide show. It would't be interactive but you could do your charts and explainations in a logical and easy to understand way.

JDUtah
01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Is there a slide show that does not require power point? It could work but the audience size is my main concern. I think I am going to go with option 2.

Any other ideas?

Turboguy
01-27-2009, 09:21 PM
There are a ton of slide shows that don't require power point.

Turboguy
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I forgot to correct my previous post that the free version of Flash was called spash. It was actaully called swish and still exists but now free is only a 30 day trial. Still much cheaper than Flash. There are some free flash like programs out there however.

JDUtah
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Turboguy

Kiril
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
JD, if you want a more flexible popup, look no further than CoolTip.
http://www.acooltip.com/

JDUtah
01-28-2009, 03:58 PM
JD, if you want a more flexible popup, look no further than CoolTip.
http://www.acooltip.com/

Sweet! That should work perfectly. Thank you! Now another question...

Right now I have a .gif that shows two types of this cycle (organic and synthetic)... it toggles between the two every couple seconds. Is there anyway to stop toggle when the mouse is over the image? (maybe remove the .gif and use JavaScript with two images?) AND is there a way to change what CoolTip pops up depending on what diagram image is displayed? I haven't read into it yet, but I assume you can assign different tips to different parts of an image map?

Any help would be appreciated, but I can look and tinker on my own. Thanks again.

JDUtah
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Sweet! That should work perfectly. Thank you! Now another question...

Right now I have a .gif that shows two types of this cycle (organic and synthetic)... it toggles between the two every couple seconds. Is there anyway to stop toggle when the mouse is over the image? (maybe remove the .gif and use JavaScript with two images?) AND is there a way to change what CoolTip pops up depending on what diagram image is displayed? I haven't read into it yet, but I assume you can assign different tips to different parts of an image map?

Any help would be appreciated, but I can look and tinker on my own. Thanks again.

Never mind about those questions. I have it working pretty well.