PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a lawn web site developer

Scagg Mann
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I hope someone can help us out! We had a web company develop a lawn web site two years ago. We got too busy and did not renew a year ago. The company is out of Texas I believe and we would like to get the site going again. I wish I could find this person to help us out. Thanks
Tom G

JDUtah
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
what was the domain name?

The .com or whatever

Scagg Mann
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
our web address was
completelawncaretulsa.com

JDUtah
01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
oh crap. Sorry... the first thing you need to do is goto godaddy.com and buy that domain name for like ten bucks. Some punk might grab it up to flip it to you now that you posted it. I'll see if I can find anything

Scagg Mann
01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for info, just did it was still available. they try to sell you the moon. I did not know how much to buy. They give you ten site names to buy For starters I just bought one. should I buy more and pay to advertise through them. Also, what about a host? Use them or someone else? I still need to get in contact with the web developer and get the copy of our site.

Lawn-Scapes
01-20-2009, 12:30 AM
I was told it is better to use a separate company for hosting. I went with bluehost.com

If you do a search for "top hosts" they will be on top of the list and you can take advantage of a good deal.

If you don't locate your web designer and need to start from scratch.. I highly recommend the guy who did mine. Very reasonable and easy to work with.

Good luck...

jdmower
01-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I sent you a message.

jblawns123
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Yea somebody sucked up my website domain name, it was down for 11 months and they grabbed it, no site on there, just enough on the page so you can contact them to buy it from them... screw that I just came up with another web address thats actually better and had new business cards made

Kiril
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Dude, you are lucky. Most active domains that expire get snatched up within a day. Damn SEO vultures.
Don't you have a backup of your website?

BLC1
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
What's wrong with godaddy hosting? They are a couple bucks a month cheaper than bluehost.

Turfdoctor1
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Try these guys: www.d4you.us/

They did a great job on my site. Check out my previous post, if you want to see their design.

I paid them $300.

Make sure if you use them to tell them Josh Landreth from Ace of Blades referred you, cause i'll get a kick back.

good luck.

JDUtah
01-27-2009, 06:44 PM
What's wrong with godaddy hosting? They are a couple bucks a month cheaper than bluehost.

From what I understand GoDaddy has a bigger learning curve. I use them though. Just use an FTP program instead of their java upload app.

If you need a back-end database they are pretty easy to set up (I have only used their mySQL database for forums).

I have been impressed. Not a moment of down time. Good customer service.

They have even called me and asked if I wanted to stop paying for hosting on a site I wasn't using. I recommend GoDaddy for hosting.

PS, I had no luck finding that company in Texas.

PSTsmallengines
01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I have been in this for a very long time, and I need to be very upfront and honest with you on this. First off all, I don't care what anyone says in here, there is nothing wrong with godaddy.com hosting not at all, however the downfall is that you really don't get the full impact of what you could have in your hosting package, customer support is very slow, and if something happens to your website, it takes hours for them to figure out the problem, in some cases maybe a few moments.

I also want to be very clear about buying Domain Names!!!!! It does not matter what your domain name says, it doesn't matter if it has your company name in it at all, it can help sometimes, but it is all about what you put at the title of your website. Like take this site, the web address is lawnsite.com, if you look in the title, of the page. LawnSite.com it wouldn't have mattered if he/she would have named it lawnpeople.com or lsdc.com it is all in the title.

If your domain name got snatched up, any real web developer would tell you not to worry. However at the same time, I can understand that someone might have that company name out there, and be using as clone to another website. Facts are, if this has happened to you, who cares! get another domain name and learn about proper CEO you learn to do that, and it doesn't matter what the darn this says.

Company Domain Names!!!! Doesn't have to have your company name!

Kiril
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
If your domain name got snatched up, any real web developer would tell you not to worry.

I disagree. Domain names become more important over time, just like a phone number. It is a way for people to identify and contact you. If you get business via references, and the contact info is your website or email address, how much business do you think will be lost due to a changed domain? Don't underestimate the importance of referrals in a service type industry.

Beyond that, when you type in a name into your browser address bar what do you think happens first? The browser first searches for valid domain. I don't know about you, but when someone give me an website address, I usually type it into the address bar ... no?

Don't believe me .... try it.

Turn off your "search from address bar" (if enabled) and type the following (without quotes) and watch your task bar.

"plumbing"

now do the same in google.

So with respect to search engine ranking, you are correct ... domain name does not matter as much unless it is truly unique. With respect to user convenience, a personalized touch, and continued referrals ... you are dead wrong.

PSTsmallengines
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I disagree. Domain names become more important over time, just like a phone number. It is a way for people to identify and contact you. If you get business via references, and the contact info is your website or email address, how much business do you think will be lost due to a changed domain?

I disagree. although I can agree that the name of your company can within your domain name can be an important feature, your domain name has nothing to do with your website. It is just like a street address. you could have 873948.com and it would go right to your website. you could have doggydooo.com and guess what it is going to go right to your website.

I could direct, doggydooo.com, youare.com, singersforyou.com, and mywifeandi.com all to be pointed to one place and would show up in one place, those are and could be either forwarded to one address or part of a sub domain. and they all could have the same content, same images and be completely the same, right down to the same title. what do you think would show up in the search engines? after awhile they would all start to line up, needless to say, spoofing is not a practice I would keep.

I was fooled for years, and not only that I myself have really been right where you are in this conversation.

Sir, I totally understand what you are saying, but life you really take a long look and spend some time out there, you will see I am almost completely right. Years ago I would totally agree with you, now more and more companies are starting to learn that, names are important YES!!! But not always Needed!

JDUtah
01-28-2009, 12:20 AM
A local excavation company registered their DBA as their very domain name. They pulled it off very modern like. I believe they used it as a good selling tactic. All their trucks, literature, etc... even their very company name is their domain name.

Necessary? Nah. But is a logo necessary?

Kiril
01-28-2009, 12:37 AM
I am fairly certain I have a good grasp on how the IPS works and how to forward a domain. You are missing the point. A domain name can be a personally indentifiable means of contacting people ... and a name that is easily remembered and if possible related to the company goes a long way. Personally I would not choose some long azz name just to have it related to my company, because it is not easily remembered. The shorter the domain name, the better.

BTW, I don't believe this was a discussion about SEO ... or was it?

No offense man, but I think you are trolling for work in the wrong place. The people that frequent this site are in the service business, not retail. What you describe is probably true for internet based retail, but for personalized "home grown" websites that are in the service business, who only care to cater to a very specific set of people in a very specific part of the country ... a good domain name can make all the difference.

now more and more companies are starting to learn that, names are important YES!!! But not always Needed!

And why is that .... because of all the SEO vultures squatting on keyword domains (and I don't need a lecture on the legality of squatting).

PSTsmallengines
01-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I am fairly certain I have a good grasp on how the IPS works and how to forward a domain. You are missing the point. A domain name can be a personally indentifiable means of contacting people ... and a name that is easily remembered and if possible related to the company goes a long way. Personally I would not choose some long azz name just to have it related to my company, because it is not easily remembered. The shorter the domain name, the better.

BTW, I don't believe this was a discussion about SEO ... or was it?

No offense man, but I think you are trolling for work in the wrong place. The people that frequent this site are in the service business, not retail. What you describe is probably true for internet based retail, but for personalized "home grown" websites that are in the service business, who only care to cater to a very specific set of people in a very specific part of the country ... a good domain name can make all the difference.

And why is that .... because of all the SEO vultures squatting on keyword domains (and I don't need a lecture on the legality of squatting).

Nice! you just had to throw in the troll stuff didn't you, well this discussion has just ended. (laughs) :waving:

Team-Green L&L
01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I swear by APTHOST.COM