PDA

View Full Version : zr2 for pulling

I MOW ALONE
01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
lookingt at a 2002 s10 zr2 with 4.3 do you guys think it will pull a 6.5x14foot tandem axle with a 60" lazer and a 34" gravely? or will it be too much for the truck? the gvwr is pretty close to my silverado z71 with 5.3. should i go for it or no

Scag413
01-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I am not sure how much mowing you do exactly but the ZR2's are built really nice in my opinion. I would think that it would pull your trailer and mowers fine as long as you dont rag on the truck ofcourse. I would buy the ZR2 for the simple fact that they dont make them anymore. I have always liked those trucks

I MOW ALONE
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
gvwr is 4900 should be fine anyone know what the hp is on the 4.3 vortec?

DoetschOutdoor
01-20-2009, 02:35 PM
The hp on that motor was 190/200 or somthing around there and would have no problem at all towing what you mentioned. But the hp and torque is noticably less than on the full size. I pull my 6 x12 v nose enclosed with a 48ztr and 36" wb. Great truck but the gas mileage is not very good. I get about 11 around town pulling that trailer all year. Love the truck but its my only truck so Im looking to get a work truck this year and keep the zr2 for personal use.

TXNSLighting
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Just get a half ton, or better yet a 3/4 and be able to grow.

DanManofStihl
01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I would get a half ton the fuel mileage is not that different from a half ton chevy and you will be able to haul more and tow more with out worrying. You can trust me on this I have been there before and have never looked back.

hosejockey2002
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
That truck sounds like a fun toy or daily driver but with the oversize tires and soft off-road springs it will be a lousy work truck. You'll just tear it up and ruin it trying to work with it. For the same money you can find a clean 3/4 ton work truck that will pull your trailer effortlessly day in and day out without tearing it up and have enough capacity left over to haul something in the bed. It's all about the right tool for the job.

I MOW ALONE
01-21-2009, 12:46 AM
well i already have a 99 silverado z71 package with a 5.3 but i was thinking of downsizing the fuel mileage is terrible with the 5.3. and i would be getting the 02 zr2 for a super price. if i could get by with the smaller truck and get a little better mileage i would be happy. is'nt the zr2 built on a full size frame.

White Gardens
01-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I use my 01 4 door S-10 with the 4.3 for a lot of landscaping stuff. I know the frame is bigger on my truck, but fundamentally it's the same as the ZR-2. Just smaller tires and sits a little lower.

175,000 miles, and I trust it to do anything.

I have found that yes, the truck will pull just about anything I want it to but the fuel mileage isn't that great loaded. One of the reasons why is that you want to pull in 3rd and not drive, because you'll shift in and out of OD and it wears your forward clutches.

Unloaded - 18 city, 21 highway.

Loaded in 3rd- 14- 16 mph everywhere.

Sometimes it gets down 12 if I'm doing a lot of Jockeying around.

I MOW ALONE
01-21-2009, 02:13 AM
I use my 01 4 door S-10 with the 4.3 for a lot of landscaping stuff. I know the frame is bigger on my truck, but fundamentally it's the same as the ZR-2. Just smaller tires and sits a little lower.

175,000 miles, and I trust it to do anything.

I have found that yes, the truck will pull just about anything I want it to but the fuel mileage isn't that great loaded. One of the reasons why is that you want to pull in 3rd and not drive, because you'll shift in and out of OD and it wears your forward clutches.

Unloaded - 18 city, 21 highway.

Loaded in 3rd- 14- 16 mph everywhere.

Sometimes it gets down 12 if I'm doing a lot of Jockeying around.

exactly what size trailer and what equipment do you pull with yours?

White Gardens
01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
exactly what size trailer and what equipment do you pull with yours?

My main trailer was just a small 8 x 8 motorcycle trailer, tilt, with tiny tires. When I put the crappy sides on it, it dragged enough in the wind to make me have to pull it in 3rd all the time.

I only use it to pull around small equipment, and materials now. I've got an 87 F-350 dually with a dump for the bigger stuff.

I pull no more than 3/4 of a ton on that trailer and had no problems with it. I recently pulled a trencher with it. It was a large vermeer walk behind with a 4x8 trailer. The only place I thought I was going to have problems was when I went up a very steep hill for about 100 yards. Kept it in second and it lugged up the hill no problem, but I would be sketchy to have any more weight than that on a hill.
http://www.vermeer.com/vcom/TrenchingEquipment/Model.jsp?PrdlnID=3600&ModID=37925

4 wheel disk brakes are a bonus. Easy to replace yourself also.

Front ball joints, and steering components are the worse part of these trucks. Ball joints alone are around 800 for installation and alignment.

In the summer time, I also noticed that with the AC on in town, especially with a load, the temp would go up just enough to kick in the cooling fan clutch, and the fan sounds like a jet taking off.

If you can, you might want to consider the Colorado. They get better fuel economy, and still have as much or more power as the 4.3. That's my next truck, or even a Silverado as they get great fuel mileage now.

DoetschOutdoor
01-21-2009, 10:25 PM
800$ for ball joints????!?!!!?!!?!? I really hope you didnt pay that. Easy job and not expensive parts.

White Gardens
01-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Yep, and that is for Lifetime Warranty Ball Joints.

I didn't have the time to do it myself so I took it to the shop.

I don't know what parts you use, but a set of MOOG ball joints run at least 100 a piece.