PDA

View Full Version : Compost Costs

Pistol
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Trying to line up my sources for the spring. I found a manufacturer of certified compost (McGill). They don't sell less than 50 cubic yards direct, but they use resellers. The resellers are selling "landscape blend" for $25/cu yd. My rough calculations tell me I need about 3/4 cu yd / 1000 st ft (for 1/4" topdressing) or about $18/1000 sqft. Does all this sound right? Is this price high or OK?

I'm a newbie - just trying to learn. Thanks, Pistol

treegal1
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
just find a place to park 50 yards for a minute or 3.. or contract one of the resale's

thats not a bad price just figure on a little more compost than you did just a little.............

DUSTYCEDAR
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Thats not a bad price

Pistol
01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks Tree & Dusty,
my spring plan is to:

1) clean-up / mow low (fescue lawns)
2) core aerate
3) Slit seed
4) topdress

I may add a worm poo component to my top dressing if I can find a good local supply. Anyone have a #/1000 number I should be adding to my compost topdressing? These lawns have always had synthetic fert in the past. Any downside to my plan - will the yards look like sh$T for a year?!?!?!

Thanks again, Pistol

treegal1
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
ah your a pistol, (had to do it).

i goes like this, find out what the soil/ grass needs and then try and get compost to fill that need. if that's out of range then add ( insert need here) and get the grass plants , trees green and healthy.

we add a small amount of compost more often.

Kiril
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102550&d=1205082443

TF PLUS
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Pistol, Quote: "I may add a worm poo component to my top dressing if I can find a good local supply. Anyone have a #/1000 number I should be adding to my compost topdressing? These lawns have always had synthetic fert in the past. Any downside to my plan - will the yards look like sh$T for a year?!?!?!
Thanks again, Pistol"

Pistol,

To answer your question (with my experience so far) about how many pounds of worm castings to add to compost, My experience is, use very little. Beef up compost with worm-tea.
or mixing compost in small quantities 2 to 4 pounds of pure worm cast per 6 cubic foot of compost, or use w-tea. (Just numbers I tried)

Way back... Last year in August, I started testing organic methods.

As a foundational product I used Ground Corn Meal (Bagged) about 12 to 15 pounds blended with 12 to 17 pounds pure worm casts (Bagged) with other special additives (all ready listed in other posts) to be applied to the entire landscape per 1000 sqft. All done for the benefit of trees-Palms, bushes and lawn. (Hard to make a profit... Hard to spread... a positive soil environment was not fully established)

(Simplified experience statement coming)
My mind set was to use worm casting as a fertilizer-soil conditioner and for their efficient microbes value...Still incomplete soil environment...
Corn was feeding microbes and faster green-up....

In brief, the lawns greened up nicely.

When the rainy season ended everyone started up chemical-fertilizing mainly lawns.
Now, their lawns were a fast dark green verses mine nice green. Hard to compete with that, so I won't.

Here's the direction I went in. Added compost (6 cubic feet, bagged) to above compound (I like the word compound) and Wow-I have dark-Lasting green and shinny lawns, that for now, are out competing and sell-able. But hard to profit on.

New direction...
Find the best possible composts...and feed it and sit on it....feed it...sit on it... then..., spread it... (Hopefully, Phill-Philosophy will chime in)

treegal1
01-21-2009, 10:26 AM
TOM you need a better way Rd, just off 951 1.25 a ton for some top soil they call it. or just west of bass rd on 41 they have some compost there. or talk to the folks at 700 stockade road for some compost, they want to get rid of it and you could maybe work something out for them to bring it to the Marco transfer station

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237496&highlight=how+to+find+compost

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=horse+farms+in+naples+fl&aq=f&oq=

TF PLUS
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Very nice, thanks for directions, it pays to ask....:walking:

treegal1
01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
oh oh the new hot tip is newman road/ave, yeah its a shlep.....one guy said he will pay me to take some from his place...........