PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Advice

Dirt Boy
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Looking at purchasing a DW SK650 for my business which consists of doing all site grading, underground sprinkler installation, seeding, etc.
I know these things work great for grading, etc.

My question is this:
Will this take the place of a dedicated vibratory plow?

Currently using a Case Mini-Sneaker, it's nothing too spectacular but it works.
I have mainly just trialed these machines with a vib. plow attachment, before I make a final decision I would like some of your guy's input on how these work on the job, pro's & con's for pulling pipe.
My plan would be to sell or retire the mini-sneaker.

Thanks a bunch!

Wet_Boots
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Keep the Sneaker, make certain that you have top-quality blades.

P.S. ~ Mini-Sneakers are a bit wimpy, depending on engine. They vary.

ARGOS
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
PVC people don't need to worry about such things.

Wet_Boots
01-20-2009, 09:23 PM
PVC people don't need to worry about such things.Just worry about someone breaking an ankle tripping over an open trench while waiting for a Texas inspector :)

ARGOS
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
At least I'll have glue to sniff while waiting.

Waterit
01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
At least I'll have glue to sniff while waiting.

And primer, if it's required by code.

mitchgo
01-21-2009, 12:17 AM
mmm.. glue...

I dont know man... If you feel it benefits you job... a puller already boderlines to speadiness of a job... especially if you do the it while landsacping

I guess the question boggles down to.

Does the extra speed of the job favor in the cost of the equipment??...

Personally I don't have any exp with that machine.. but as installs go.. to save maybe one to two hours .. if at all possible.. is it worth it??

bicmudpuppy
01-21-2009, 01:10 AM
PVC people don't need to worry about such things.

I've pulled MILES of PVC. You guys that trench have no idea what your missing. Anything you can trench through without a rock chain, a 410 will pull through. Will you have some spots to fix from the rocks that get pulled up? yes, but they would have been heaved out and up trenching as well. Your not going to use a pipe piper or LM to pull in 3 rock to one dirt soil, but I've pulled pipe right past boulders it took a skid steer to remove. Unless you hit the boulder so square it can't move to one side or the other, the puller wins and you have a hole to fix and fill in.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Can't inspect pulled pipe but pulled pork is awesome!

AI Inc
01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Can't inspect pulled pipe but pulled pork is awesome!

When did this thread turn sexual?

ghunter502
01-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Pulling is so much better we have a 410 puller, 1820 ditch witch trencher, and boxer mini skid with back filler for some trenching we do I love this combo.

Wet_Boots
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Sometimes a Pipe Piper's very dinky-ness gave it pulling abilities the big boys couldn't match, as you might be able to horse the machine away from some unseen-but-impassable obstruction.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Sometimes a Pipe Piper's very dinky-ness gave it pulling abilities the big boys couldn't match, as you might be able to horse the machine away from some unseen-but-impassable obstruction.

Pipe Pipers? You got whiskey in your coffee this morning?

AI Inc
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
He just misses his rototiller.

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Pulling is so much better we have a 410 puller, 1820 ditch witch trencher, and boxer mini skid with back filler for some trenching we do I love this combo.

Pulling poly or PVC is is a great way to install irrigation. The 410 can put pipe almost anywhere you want and fast. Leak testing is not so much an option but with a 2" bullet on your pull blade you will have a nice little hole for the pipe to go. Wow that does sound better than trenching

Wet_Boots
01-21-2009, 07:10 PM
....and where are you operating this spiffy 410?

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Pluto..........

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Usually clay type soil. I have seen alot of large rocks plowed up. I like the plow versus the trencher. Although there is nothing better than a long straight trench with alot of spoil.

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Pluto..........

Cant afford the rocket fuel. Besides it would constantly be in need of winterizing..

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Cant afford the rocket fuel. Besides it would constantly be in need of winterizing..

I know, Texas or Florida.

Without A Drought
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Pulling will always be easier than trenching.

::waits for it::

hoskm01
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Pulling will always be easier than trenching.

::waits for it::
No energy for the debacle from me.

Without A Drought
01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Is this the "lest see how bad hour grammer can be" sexshon?

bobw
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
To answer the OP's question. Yes.. the SK's can get a vibratory plow attachment from Ditch Witch. The attachment is pretty much a mounting plate, plus the plow gear (shaker, blade, etc) from a 255sx. The setup works well. I've pulled 2" poly using a SK350 quite nicely.

rlpsystems
01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Looking at purchasing a DW SK650 for my business which consists of doing all site grading, underground sprinkler installation, seeding, etc.
I know these things work great for grading, etc.

My question is this:
Will this take the place of a dedicated vibratory plow?

Currently using a Case Mini-Sneaker, it's nothing too spectacular but it works.
I have mainly just trialed these machines with a vib. plow attachment, before I make a final decision I would like some of your guy's input on how these work on the job, pro's & con's for pulling pipe.
My plan would be to sell or retire the mini-sneaker.

Thanks a bunch!

Get the Ditch Witch before the Dingo....

hoskm01
01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Get the Ditch Witch before the Dingo....
Maybe the Dingo ate your baby!

ghunter502
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
We just bought a boxer not my first choice I have owned both dingo and ditch witch this guy needed to sell it so bought it. I actually like it better than the ditch witch or the dingo. For what it's worth.

Dirt Boy
01-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Actually GUYS!!

What I'm really interested in finding out is: Can a mini skid, such as the DW SK650 with a vibratory plow attachment take the place of a "single-function" machine, such as SX-410, case mini-sneaker, etc.?

If you have used these, are there situations where the mini-skid w/vib. plow won't work, or any other issues.

By the by, I also tested the new Boxer 532DX which is same HP as DW. Nice machine, just didn't like the controls as well, didn't seem quite as natural, and they have a single pump system, which I don't think works quite as well.

Love all your jawin' but so far, not sure I got my question answered, but then, I ain't complain'in too loud, since the price is right!::)

Wet_Boots
01-23-2009, 11:13 PM
What kind of turns do you expect to make? Or will you only pull PVC in straight runs?

ghunter502
01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
NO I don't think it can I own all three of these machines for this reason. Boxer, 410 Ditch witch, 1820 Ditch witch trencher, because the trencher attachment is to long on the 410 for small lawns. You can try, but I don't think you will be happy.

bicmudpuppy
01-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Another topic that cute little search button would have proven we have beat to death, but I'm bored, so I will re-type what I have typed before :)

Will a mini-skid perform as well as a stand alone puller.........WHICH puller, Against a mini-sneaker or even a 255, I would take one of the larger mini-skid platforms. They won't out pull a 410 or a Maxi. I haven't run any of the other machines in the same size category, but I would bet the answer is the same. If your only going to own ONE machine, I think a mini-skid (for resi work) would be a good investment. The mini-skid plows are NOT the same. DW's plow will run circles around the thing Toro sells. If you can buy a Toro mini-skid for a good price, great, but buy the DW attachment. The DW plow for the mini-skids is the same shaker as the 255. Get the boring unit and trencher bar at the same time if you can.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Six years ago I had a Dingo. It was nice to have many different attachments to do various jobs but the one and most important thing it lacked was power.. I switched to a 410sx and have not looked back. The Dingo could not pull pipe or cable uphill. The Ditch Witch smokes the mini skid steer, and its three attachments in one already. For other landscaping needs I would look into another skid steer. Case, John Deere or even Bobcat.

Dirt Boy
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks Guys!

I would be pulling poly, and making "normal" turns, etc.
And thanks for all your input, guys that have been there, done that, will help me to not get my expectations wrong.

I've decided to go ahead and get it (SK650), and I already have a vib. plow, and some other pieces for it, bought those fairly cheap, in the hopes of someday getting one of these guys.

Really appreciate all your input, and hopefully I'll be able to return the favor in the future.

Wet_Boots
01-24-2009, 01:18 PM
You may be disappointed at the turning ability of the mini skid machines, but as long as you know that going in, you can cope.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Guys!

I would be pulling poly, and making "normal" turns, etc.
And thanks for all your input, guys that have been there, done that, will help me to not get my expectations wrong.

I've decided to go ahead and get it (SK650), and I already have a vib. plow, and some other pieces for it, bought those fairly cheap, in the hopes of someday getting one of these guys.

Really appreciate all your input, and hopefully I'll be able to return the favor in the future.

Hope it works well for you. Seems like theres always just one magic machine that can do it all, (mine is my drain spade) and that makes the work go by faster and easier. Good Luck.. ps I love my Ditch Witch dealer. I think I pay him more a month than my ex!!!

ODU Lawn Man
01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
The mini skids are designed to be versatile. Attachments like the plow and stumpgrinder are great if you only use them once a week or so but are not as strong as a dedicated machine. If all you do(and all you want to do) is pull pipe then you should buy a dedicated plow. If all you do(and all you want to do) is grind stumps then you should buy a dedicated stump grinder.

On the flip side of that, My dingos auger and trencher attachment are top notch and I would take them up against any dedicated auger or walk behind trencher.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 07:39 PM
The mini skids are designed to be versatile. Attachments like the plow and stumpgrinder are great if you only use them once a week or so but are not as strong as a dedicated machine. If all you do(and all you want to do) is pull pipe then you should buy a dedicated plow. If all you do(and all you want to do) is grind stumps then you should buy a dedicated stump grinder.

On the flip side of that, My dingos auger and trencher attachment are top notch and I would take them up against any dedicated auger or walk behind trencher.

Ive gotta a 410sx ready for action. Have you heard of Gormans Gardens?

ODU Lawn Man
01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Ive heard of the company, where are yall located

Stuttering Stan
01-24-2009, 08:18 PM

Would you 2 get a room!!!
Nice to see some other VA irritators on this site. Welcome to the both of you.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Martinsville Virginia. I take care of the owners lake house irrigation system.
She's a nice lady. Have you done any work for her?

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Would you 2 get a room!!!
Nice to see some other VA irritators on this site. Welcome to the both of you.

Thanks Stan. Nice to be here.

ODIrrigation
01-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I have the SK650 and overall I love it. Plowing can be a little awkward since you have to plow in reverse and it is usually only good for straight runs. I mainly trench because of the rocks and clay in my area so its not as big a deal for me. Versatility of the machine makes up for it on my end but if I was strictly a plow guy I probably would go with a dedicated machine. DW service/parts in my area is great and I have been very happy with my other attachments.

ODU Lawn Man
01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Martinsville Virginia. I take care of the owners lake house irrigation system.
She's a nice lady. Have you done any work for her?

No, Ive never done any work for her. Does Gormans Gardens do landscaping?

rlpsystems
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
No, Ive never done any work for her. Does Gormans Gardens do landscaping?

I believe she only does design work.