PDA

View Full Version : Any of you texas folk got work?

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
My buddy got the lay today, friday is the last day.

tough times coming, tough times...

I'll burry some heads in Tejas for a few weeks....

X0X0

CSR

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 05:30 PM
tough times coming, tough times...

As the ladder crumbles....I'd hire you, Eddie (if I had a business); what you should realize, is most of us need a commitment of some sort, we all have our ways of doing it and expect employess to get a grip and stick with us for a while. I'm not going to teach anyone how to program a Rain Master and bail on me next week. You understand?:)

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-21-2009, 05:35 PM
As the ladder crumbles....I'd hire you, Eddie (if I had a business); what you should realize, is most of us need a commitment of some sort, we all have our ways of doing it and expect employess to get a grip and stick with us for a while. I'm not going to teach anyone how to program a Rain Master and bail on me next week. You understand?:)

sure do..

its how my old sprink boss trained me for 3 years on every aspect..

and I bail on him for more money different company

like that?

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
sure do.

The internet is all different as far as employees go; one can get a reputation; remember, you're dealing with us all over the country; word gets out. You're young, find a niche and stick with it until you can take over from us old f..ks.

Wet_Boots
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Isn't the corporation looking to bring you back when weather gets better?

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Sounds like it to me. When you have someone worth there weight you treat them well.

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
there weight

Hmmm, what does that mean?

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
the cuts are volintarily right now..

rlpsystems
01-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Hmmm, what does that mean?

When your installers can install and troubleshoot with out always asking you what to do, that makes your job easier. In the winter there might not be enough irrigation jobs to cover payroll. I dont want to lose these guys so you find other types of work to keep them busy. Spring is just around the corner. My shovel's ready.

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM
cuts are volintarily.

You don't want to work for a outfit like that. Take up the violin.

txgrassguy
01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
In about two weeks I start two schools. 2" mains, Hunter I-25 on 1.5" pressure compensating valves, specs call for bedding the pipes plus we have to lay 140 pallets of sod.
Problem is I have had to lay off three guys already, got four left and can't really fit in a fifth.

DanaMac
01-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you able to weather the storm with unemployment until things warm back up and they need you again? That's how my guys do it, and find some small piece meal work.

Problem is you are in the same large boat as a LOT of people right now. Tough to find work when people are already laid off or getting laying off. Just like the company you work for.

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
In about two weeks I start two schools. 2" mains, Hunter I-25 on 1.5" pressure compensating valves, specs call for bedding the pipes plus we have to lay 140 pallets of sod.
Problem is I have had to lay off three guys already, got four left and can't really fit in a fifth.

So, what's the problem? I'll tell you; not enough field supervision. I could be there in a week. PM if interested.

hoskm01
01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear it Ed.

We'll be hiring soon, but like others said, I need commitment, at least for the season.

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear it Ed.

We'll be hiring soon, but like others said, I need commitment, at least for the season.

Working with you is prolly going to be like commitment; loony bin, that is.:dizzy:

EagleLandscape
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
txgrassguy: who was the designer on the schools? arent you near McAllen?

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
When your installers can install and troubleshoot with out always asking you what to do, that makes your job easier.

Those people lasted about two days with me. I always appreciated a call when they were stuck; I'd then send them to another site and come down myself; unless it concerned a 521 locate.

hoskm01
01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Working with you is prolly going to be like commitment; loony bin, that is.:dizzy:
No extra charge!

Sprinkus
01-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Gotta be willin' to work in Eagle Pass for the rest of the year. Probably Encinal and Hebronville too.
Geez, just looking at that depresses me!

Oh yeah. I also need someone to dig underneath a large boulder wall to see if the DCV is under it!

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-21-2009, 07:39 PM
just so you all know this is all production workers talking..
Nothing is serious from mgmt yet..
but once it's said, it could go crazy

I have 8-10 weeks before turnons..

so until Then i can collect and pay rent.

Without A Drought
01-21-2009, 07:43 PM
...so then collect. i usually have to file for 2+ months. it's the cost of doing business in the NE. ask around, i'm sure one of you're buddies or other contacts can give you some cash work. I usually tend bar.

Mike Leary
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM
it could go crazy

Normal, out here. You'll fit right in with commitment.

Mad Estonian
01-21-2009, 10:39 PM
CSR- what keeps you working for someone else? I understand if you have no choice for some reason, but it's not like you're learning at some master's side from the sounds of things, so wouldn't you be better off trying to make a go of it on your own? I know that's easier said than done, and maybe isn't your thing, but might be worth a try. You've got some new skills now too, which can help keep you busy year round.
And if you do give it a go, for God's sake, learn as much as you can about the business side. I just had a little one-man gardening op since I was 20, didn't have a clue about business, just eked by. Finally started cluing in a few years ago. My perspective has changed entirely, I'm trying to build something much bigger than just me, and create good jobs for other people, while taking care of myself. Big fan of J.R. Huston, books, cds, spreadsheets etc. I know not everyone on here is a fan, but it sure has helped me with the business nuts and bolts.
Anyways, for whatever that's worth... you just have so much passion for the trade, I can't help but think you should be out on your own.

ARGOS
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Anyways, for whatever that's worth... you just have so much passion for the trade, I can't help but think you should be out on your own.

Everything I have done with a passion has succeeded. A passion for your work makes it so rewarding and successful. I would never want to dread going to work, I am always trying to balance work with personal life BECAUSE I enjoy my job so much.

Waterit
01-21-2009, 11:09 PM
You're young, find a niche and stick with it until you can take over from us old f..ks.

You left out the "o" and the "l"...

CSR, finally spoke with the family I have on the Cape - turns out they don't even HAVE a system. Sorry, bud.

AI Inc
01-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Eddy , did your unemployment weekly amount go down from last yr? Mines $90 less then last yr.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
CSR- what keeps you working for someone else? I understand if you have no choice for some reason, but it's not like you're learning at some master's side from the sounds of things, so wouldn't you be better off trying to make a go of it on your own? I know that's easier said than done, and maybe isn't your thing, but might be worth a try. You've got some new skills now too, which can help keep you busy year round.
And if you do give it a go, for God's sake, learn as much as you can about the business side. I just had a little one-man gardening op since I was 20, didn't have a clue about business, just eked by. Finally started cluing in a few years ago. My perspective has changed entirely, I'm trying to build something much bigger than just me, and create good jobs for other people, while taking care of myself. Big fan of J.R. Huston, books, cds, spreadsheets etc. I know not everyone on here is a fan, but it sure has helped me with the business nuts and bolts.

Great advice brotha...

I'm going to try and start building a customer list this summer..side work..
friends and family for start.

hoskm01
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Great advice brotha...

Friends and family are great for referrals, but they dont pay the bills.

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Friends and family are great for referrals, but they dont pay the bills.

Agreed. I kind of lost a casual friend this year due to working on his system. We play poker together. It was a massive POS and after 2 hours of messing with it, I told him straight up it was a POS. Of course he then tells me HE installed it. I told him I couldn't get back for 1-2 weeks to do the massive renovation. He freaked out and I told him he should probably find someone else.

Talk with your suppliers, other contractors you work with or know, and yes, realtors and property managers. You may need to take work you don't want to until you get established. Then you can become an elitist like Mikey :laugh:

You'll probably need to do some random installs as well.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
You left out the "o" and the "l"...

CSR, finally spoke with the family I have on the Cape - turns out they don't even HAVE a system. Sorry, bud.

This could be an even better thing...my man.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Then you can become an elitist like Mikey

A very perceptive person told me, years ago; " don't do business with your friends".

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
A very perceptive person told me, years ago; " don't do business with your friends".

What I try to do, is tell them "You're not hiring my company. You will help me fix/install this. Friend helping friend." I have them buy the parts, and we drink and bbq and install a system. Or do a quick fix together. I tell them don't expect immediate service when there is a problem. The example I gave isn't a close friend, and I didn't expect it to be a problem. But it was.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I didn't expect it to be a problem. But it was.

Someone always figures they got the short end of the stick; that's when what was a good friendship crumbles.

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Someone always figures they got the short end of the stick; that's when what was a good friendship crumbles.

I think he wanted a quick fix, and I wasn't willing to give it. ASV valves, fairly inaccessible valves, stretched zones, 2" heads. I didn't want to band-aid this one and have my name on it.

EagleLandscape
01-22-2009, 08:46 PM
CSR, you need to try out Texas sometime. these new regs are probably going to create a demand for some highly skilled techs.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
CSR, you need to try out Texas sometime. these new regs are probably going to create a demand for some highly skilled techs.

You hiring? Brisket benefits?

Mad Estonian
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Great advice brotha...

Good luck. I'm sure you can do it, as much of a b*tch as it can be at times.
First real, top-to-bottom install I ever did was for some good friends. It was funny, wife and I separated for a month while figuring some things out (solid now, made us stronger), and I stayed with these friends. It honestly worked out great, just having to walk out the door and get to it made it a helluva lot easier to cut my teeth. Maybe the wife knew I needed a little push. Not that I'm recommending this for anyone else. :nono:

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
eddie you are welcome to crash on my couch

DanaMac
01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
eddie you are welcome to crash on my couch

I thought you were moving to a tent? The simple life. On the road nomad. Sprinkler drifter.

Wet_Boots
01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I forget, was Rotar ever manning a service truck on his own? I would consider that the most useful experience.

Mike Leary
01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I forget, was Rotar ever manning a service truck on his own? I would consider that the most useful experience.

If I could find someone who knew valves, wiring and clocks, I'd pay some serious money; maybe a brisket on Sunday.

Dripit good
01-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Mr. Leary....... Cactus Hug, Cactus Kiss......

Is Cactus Fondle your next move? :waving:

txgrassguy
01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
So, what's the problem? I'll tell you; not enough field supervision. I could be there in a week. PM if interested.
Nope, supervision is covered - extra labor in the budget is not.
Plus, I still have about $35-40K to go to finish paying for my divorce and can't afford extra help on projects right now.

Mike Leary
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Nope, supervision is covered - extra labor in the budget is not.
Plus, I still have about $35-40K to go to finish paying for my divorce and can't afford extra help on projects right now.

Piker........

hoskm01
01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Divorces are crap.

Mike... what does someone with that experience value at, if you were to own your biz still, in the WA market?

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Divorces are crap.

Mike... what does someone with that experience value at, if you were to own your biz still, in the WA market?

Were I to hire a hot-shot, of which there are not many, he'd prolly be in his thirties, married with a child or two, a mortgage & car payment, etc. In order to keep him, I'd be paying at least $35.00 hr. + benefits. Were he able to run a crew, $50.00+ hr. Most installers with some experience get from $15 to $25 hr. I used to charge my hot shots out at $80-$90 hr.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Were I to hire a hot-shot, of which there are not many, he'd prolly be in his thirties, married with a child or two, a mortgage & car payment, etc. In order to keep him, I'd be paying at least $35.00 hr. + benefits. Were he able to run a crew, $50.00+ hr. Most installers with some experience get from $15 to $25 hr. I used to charge my hot shots out at $80-$90 hr.
Cheeze and Rice! Thats a healthy number.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Bear in mind, I never did small projects and the responsibility was formidable. You just don't get good hands these days without a decent wage.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-24-2009, 10:39 AM

I was @ the old company after my first year...

They threw me to the fire the first day apr1..

I honestly think that this was done on purpose..

Boss gives me an irritrol valve Male X barb and says replace the bad valve @ mrs xyz.I go replace it and wire it..turn on problem zone...Nothing..WTF.. I just put in a brand new valve... threw the valve tester on it and got a bad solenoid..popped the new on a new on...No valves in the truck..

so I called big boss told him the deal and he dropped off a new valve..

swapped out and all set..To this day I think that it was BS and he wanted to see if i got stuck..suppose I'll never know

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Boss gives me an irritrol valve Male X barb and says replace the bad valve @ mrs xyz.I go replace it and wire it..turn on problem zone...Nothing..WTF.. I just put in a brand new valve... threw the valve tester on it and got a bad solenoid..popped the new on a new on...No valves in the truck..

swapped out and all set..To this day I think that it was BS and he wanted to see if i got stuck..suppose I'll never know
So he knew the problem and gave you the wrong fix?

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
So he knew the problem and gave you the wrong fix?

problem was a leaky WM valve...go figure...customer wanted it whole thing replaced...Male barbs are an easy quick fix..But he gave me a bad solenoid to go along with an "operational valve". I honestly think he wanted to see if i could find the other problem... And it was quite peculiar that on opening day there was not any other valves in the truck..

Kiril
01-24-2009, 10:51 AM
problem was a leaky WM valve...go figure...customer wanted it whole thing replaced...Male barbs are an easy quick fix..But he gave me a bad solenoid to go along with an "operational valve". I honestly think he wanted to see if i could find the other problem... And it was quite peculiar that on opening day there was not any other valves in the truck..

Least he could have done was put a spare solenoid in there to see if you would figure it out.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 10:51 AM

What's the rates for mega-end up there, Matt?

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
What's the rates for mega-end up there, Matt?
So I hear, 30ish/hr, maybe.

I havent met any high-end techs up here at all, not sure they exist (except in the mirror, of course)

I would say that every DB ive met at the irr shop wouldnt get more than 15/hr if I were payin them, have never been impressed listening to or talking to any one of them. Not sure I would trust any in my vehicles either.

Like Dana has said, even decent middle of the road techs are hard to find.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Troubleshooting valves comes (usually) down to three things, cable, solenoid, or controller. I will take a new solenoid to the controller and connect to the bad valves station. If it clicks there I reconnect wire and go to wires at bad valve. After connecting wires there hopefully you here the ol click with the new and then your done. A couple of times I have had the multi strand 18ga wire break at the connection point inside the dby. Also had bad modules at the controller. Toro=Bull.. Does any one have a standard practice to go by when the call of a non working zone comes in. One other thing is if zones 1 through 3 work but 4 through 7 dont then you know its the common.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Drag out the volt/ohm meter, first thing. "Ohm it out".

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Least he could have done was put a spare solenoid in there to see if you would figure it out.

@ the least....

he was "right down the street" when I called..

funny

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Drag out the volt/ohm meter, first thing. "Ohm it out".

Hey Mike is it 0-20 ohms is a shorted solenoid
21-60 ohms solenoid is good
61 ohms or more is an open solenoid and should be replaced

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
So I hear, 30ish/hr, maybe.

I havent met any high-end techs up here at all, not sure they exist (except in the mirror, of course)

I would say that every DB ive met at the irr shop wouldnt get more than 15/hr if I were payin them, have never been impressed listening to or talking to any one of them. Not sure I would trust any in my vehicles either.

Like Dana has said, even decent middle of the road techs are hard to find.

It's tough to find someone that will work for 8-9 months, and then come back again. I don't know any techs making $30hr here, never mind $20. Except one of my guys, and that is figuring his salary into an hourly rate. other tech is close to that. And for here that is highly overpaying them. But I want to. I want them to succeed. I want them to put money into the economy. I don't want them to struggle, while I put every last dollar in my pocket.

Mike - for comparison, no way we could charge $80-$100hr here. You live in a better economic market. $60-$80 is the high end here, and we are at $65. We don't have the mass amount of web geeks that made millions for putting an extra "0" in front of a "1" to create another shade of white.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
It's tough to find someone that will work for 8-9 months, and then come back again. I don't know any techs making $30hr here, never mind $20. Except one of my guys, and that is figuring his salary into an hourly rate. other tech is close to that. And for here that is highly overpaying them. But I want to. I want them to succeed. I want them to put money into the economy. I don't want them to struggle, while I put every last dollar in my pocket.

Mike - for comparison, no way we could charge $80-$100hr here. You live in a better economic market. $60-$80 is the high end here, and we are at $65. We don't have the mass amount of web geeks that made millions for putting an extra "0" in front of a "1" to create another shade of white.

We do $80 first hour than 35 per man per hour.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Mike is it 0-20 ohms is a shorted solenoid
21-60 ohms solenoid is good
61 ohms or more is an open solenoid and should be replaced

I'll replace them as they get into the 25 to 50 ohm range, you know they're
heading out. They are almost inpossible to locate when they've gone south.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll replace them as they get into the 25 to 50 ohm range, you know they're
heading out. They are almost inpossible to locate when they've gone south.

Impossible to locate? As in a wire tracker?

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
We do $80 first hour than 35 per man per hour.

Technically we do $65 first half hour, $65 hr after that, billed in quarter hour increments. Comes out to $97.50 first hour.

But $35 an hour? :dizzy: Holy cow. When I still worked for someone else in '93ish, we were at $40 hr.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Impossible to locate? As in a wire tracker?

As in Mike can't figure out how to operate one :laugh:

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Technically we do $65 first half hour, $65 hr after that, billed in quarter hour increments. Comes out to $97.50 first hour.

But $35 an hour? :dizzy: Holy cow. When I still worked for someone else in '93ish, we were at $40 hr.
Even our unskilled landscape labor is at 45, irrigation 55/hr for tech work.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:19 AM

I'd bet the cost of living might be a little better in your market. Oddly enough, not many of our clients were web geeks; that would be over in Dirty Water's area; Redmond, Bellevue. Our clients were plain old wealthy; and self-made, which made for great friendships.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:19 AM

I try not to have alot of overhead. Customers around here (mountains of Virginia) dont like to pay. Bottom line i get alot of work due to great service and my prices are not sky high. I guess people think since we're ditch diggers we dont need 60 per hour. There are a couple of guys cheaper than me. But you get what you pay for....

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm so glad I started using a multimeter...

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Even our unskilled landscape labor is at 45, irrigation 55/hr for tech work.

Wow. I'll work for you..

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
As in Mike can't figure out how to operate one :laugh:

Try it sometime, Mr. Smarty pants. My mistake on that job was looping the 13-strand when we installed, I should have terminated
a dedicated run.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Wow. I'll work for you..
Those are billable rates, not payable rates.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I guess people think since we're ditch diggers we dont need 60 per hour.

I used to think that. And some of the clowns on this site convinced me to go with the service call fee and raise my rates a little. Work never slowed down, wallet got fatter. Customers don't need to know how much overhead you have. Charge accordingly, and if feel like being the affordable guy in town, that's fine too.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Those are billable rates, not payable rates.

Thats ok. I pay my best (Pedro) 12 per hour. Alot of times I will also get him lunch. Not to mention Gatorade and Amp drinks...

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Thats ok. I pay my best (Pedro) 12 per hour. Alot of times I will also get him lunch. Not to mention Gatorade and Amp drinks...
I love a good Monster drink in the afternoon, but the crash is hard and soon to follow.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Try it sometime, Mr. Smarty pants. My mistake on that job was looping the 13-strand when we installed, I should have terminated
a dedicated run.

Tried it - didn't like it. :)

You know I'm just bustin' your ballz about that thread. I know and understand you are above and beyond me on pretty much any irrigation skill, Master Vader.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I used to think that. And some of the clowns on this site convinced me to go with the service call fee and raise my rates a little. Work never slowed down, wallet got fatter. Customers don't need to know how much overhead you have. Charge accordingly, and if feel like being the affordable guy in town, that's fine too.

I knew a guy who's company was " Affordable Irrigation". Ballsy if you ask me. Cutting corners on an install will result in alot of the dreaded call backs..
Maybe he wasnt cutting corners but when you buy all your supplies from big box store??? Dont know bout them guys..

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:27 AM
I love a good Monster drink in the afternoon

Followed by a good dark beer or shot of Jager.....

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I knew a guy who's company was " Affordable Irrigation". Ballsy if you ask me. Cutting corners on an install will result in alot of the dreaded call backs..
Maybe he wasnt cutting corners but when you buy all your supplies from big box store??? Dont know bout them guys..
They probably didnt care about cutting corners and using crap parts, they werent coming back for callbacks anyway.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:30 AM

I crack up seeing the vans and truck saying "Affordable plumbing" "Economy Electrical" and so forth. If you want to charge less than others, great, but to advertise it is pointless in my opinion. I won't hire these kind of companies for work at my house.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:30 AM
They probably didnt care about cutting corners and using crap parts, they werent coming back for callbacks anyway.

Thats just it. Then they call me. I wont spend all my time trying to repair crap. Kinda like polishing a turd!! Thats when out with the old in with the new Hunter..

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I knew a guy who's company was " Affordable Irrigation".

One of my ex-employees went into business as "Budget Sprinklers"; he lasted about three months. :laugh:

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Takes alot more than thinking you can do it on your own.. It comes from deep within. Does it not.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Takes alot more than thinking you can do it on your own.. It comes from deep within. Does it not.
It does indeed.

"Polishing a turd" is one of my favorite lines.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
It does indeed.

Ditto that; the conventional "wisdom" is we owners sit around counting the money.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Ditto that; the conventional "wisdom" is we owners sit around counting the money.
That'll be the day!

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:41 AM
That'll be the day!

Heard that.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:44 AM
During the season, I worked a seven day week just to keep things from falling apart.

Kiril
01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
During the season, I worked a seven day week just to keep things from falling apart.

..... Piker

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Thats the best way to do it. Most likely 12-14 hour days. I have slept/camped out at many a jobsite..

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Thats the best way to do it. Most likely 12-14 hour days. I have slept/camped out at many a jobsite..

That's why we make the big bucks.:rolleyes:

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Thats the best way to do it. Most likely 12-14 hour days.

No sweat for Mike, since he never leaves the comfort of his air conditioned truck. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
01-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Thats the best way to do it. Most likely 12-14 hour days. I have slept/camped out at many a jobsite.......especially when the job is the solarium garden at the Ritz-Carlton penthouse. Wakeup call at nine, Pierre....

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
No sweat for Mike, since he never leaves the comfort of his air conditioned truck. :laugh:

Give me a remote and a adding machine and I'm good to go. :walking:

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Thats the best way to do it. Most likely 12-14 hour days.

I could handle one hour days for 12-14 in a row. The 12-14 hours in a day though, pretty much suck. If I can get an office person this year, I can cut back on late night office work. Hate doing the 8-12 in the field, then 2-4 at the office/home office.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I could handle one hour days for 12-14 in a row. The 12-14 hours in a day though, pretty much suck. If I can get an office person this year, I can cut back on late night office work. Hate doing the 8-12 in the field, then 2-4 at the office/home office.

Nope, you should not do that, make you a very dull boy. I never could work like that: I was up around four a.m., went to breakfast, did assignments until the crew arrived at 7.30. If I was needed in the field for work or new clients,I was back by 2.00 and caught up on paperwork until I peaked around 4.00. Never worked evenings, felt it was unfair to me and the wife. Did billing and NASCAR & :drinkup: on weekends.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Nope, you should not do that, make you a very dull boy. I never could work like that: I was up around four a.m., went to breakfast, did assignments until the crew arrived at 7.30. If I was needed in the field for work or new clients,I was back by 2.00 and caught up on paperwork until I peaked around 4.00. Never worked evenings, felt it was unfair to me and the wife. Did billing and NASCAR & :drinkup: on weekends.

I've gotten better at it. But April May and October get some evening hours. When I look at the fact I don't work for 4 months, It's fine by me. And my sister was working for two months for me this summer which helped. But I have gotten better at getting to the phone calls early, turning phone off at 6:00 pm.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
When I look at the fact I don't work for 4 months, It's fine by me.

Good point; we worked year around and I had to pace myself or :dizzy:

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Good point; we worked year around and I had to pace myself or :dizzy:
So you could'nt hack the AZ tempo?

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 01:52 PM

What tempo? AZ seems as laid-back as Hawaii.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM

I personally couldn't handle the AZ heat. I'm a sissy when it gets to 90 degrees here.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I personally couldn't handle the AZ heat. I'm a sissy when it gets to 90 degrees here.

Us too; blood too thick. We were in Phoenix last year and it hit 95; thought I was going to croak.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I remember days in Virginia that hit over 100. When the water is gone so are the irrigation co. people...... Off to the beer cart

Wet_Boots
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
95 in the desert is easy living. 95 in southern Florida is a bit more like brutal.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
95 in the desert is easy living. 95 in southern Florida is a bit more like brutal.

Yeah. Thats a good way to retire. For ever...

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Yes we know "At least it's a dry heat". But at our elevation we're more prone to sunburn, always need lip balm handy, and we have minimal humidity and the water and dirt actually suck all the moisture out of the hands. Most people visiting my garbage can get a nose bleed due to elevation and low humidity. and the knuckle sandwich. :) Not saying it's better or worse to deal with, just different kinds of issues to deal with.

mikecaldwell1204
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
The heat is not to bad down here if you've lived here for a while and used to it.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
The heat is not to bad down here if you've lived here for a while and used to it.

Cool. I'm on my way. It's to f-ing cold here. Probably alot of cracked backflows here... might stay and wait til spring. Hows the sailfish season? Might come for that.

Waterit
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM

2 things separate the men from the boys when it comes to outdoor construction down here - July and August. ANYBODY can work in December...

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 08:12 PM
2 things separate the men from the boys when it comes to outdoor construction down here - July and August. ANYBODY can work in December...

Been there in those months.. Luckily I was a commercial diver working on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The water was very nice. That is a beautiful area.

Waterit
01-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Sunshine Skyway is Tampa area, center of the state for you geographically-challenged folk. I'm in the Panhandle, Northwest Florida. Find Mobile AL on the map and then go 60 miles due east.

It's mostly hot down in S. FL all year around, by comparison we actually have a winter: hard freezes last Monday and Tuesday nights, then it was almost 70 yeaterday with a low in the low 60's. NWF in the wintertime: if you don't like the weather wait a couple of days, it'll change.

AI Inc
01-25-2009, 12:42 AM

Im with ya there , 95 without humidity dosnt bother me. 70 with 90% humidity and Im sweating like a diabetic in a candy store.

bicmudpuppy
01-25-2009, 01:34 AM

You can say that again and again and over and over. After spending the last 12 years in what amounts to the KC metro and outlying areas and enduring 90-100% humidity, I am IN LOVE with the the high desert! When we got here in July, the boy hit the morning weight room with the football team. He couldn't get over all the whining about the heat at 90-95 degrees. We had left 95+ and he had been at scout camp under heat alerts for 115+heat indexes. 25% is "muggy" here. I pull up weather bug and the "real feel" is 5-8 degrees COOLER than the actual temp :) I don't miss the humidity!!

bicmudpuppy
01-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Yes we know "At least it's a dry heat". But at our elevation we're more prone to sunburn, always need lip balm handy, and we have minimal humidity and the water and dirt actually suck all the moisture out of the hands. Most people visiting my garbage can get a nose bleed due to elevation and low humidity. and the knuckle sandwich. :) Not saying it's better or worse to deal with, just different kinds of issues to deal with.

Even now, in winter, I can't drink enough. I have fought dehydration worse here and not felt "hot" more than I ever did in 100+ heat indexes. Wife has the nose bleed problem. I never was a "lotion" guy. I USE lotion/aloe/cocoa butter all the time now. I still like not breaking a sweat at 90 degrees!

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Even now, in winter, I can't drink enough. I have fought dehydration worse here and not felt "hot" more than I ever did in 100+ heat indexes. Wife has the nose bleed problem. I never was a "lotion" guy. I USE lotion/aloe/cocoa butter all the time now. I still like not breaking a sweat at 90 degrees!
Why broke down and got a humidifier in the bedroom, it is usually so dry here.

It does get hot in there (if you know what I mean) quite often.

ARGOS
01-25-2009, 01:12 PM
It does get hot in there (if you know what I mean) quite often.

Do you wear the bat man suit?

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Do you wear the bat man suit?
Role-playing.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Role-playing.

Might have to rethink staying at your place before our ski trip............

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Might have to rethink staying at your place before our ski trip............
Only on days ending in Y

Wet_Boots
01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Might have to rethink staying at your place before our ski trip............Cosplay guys are weird....

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/438/pax07cloudcosplaydh6.jpg

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Cosplay

Not knowing what this was... I googled it.

Whats with the 12 year olds in stockings?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/taihiwatari/Cosplay/cosplay-misa-misa2.jpg

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Sick............

Wet_Boots
01-25-2009, 03:41 PM
No no, they're all 18 or older, you understand. :(

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 03:51 PM
No no, they're all 18 or older, you understand. :(
I hope she just looks a young 18

bicmudpuppy
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM

I call them "half-days", the day light half ;) What really sucks is when a half day isn't enough !

AI Inc
01-26-2009, 06:09 AM
18 , my azz , you boys are twisted.

hoskm01
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey, dont lump us in with Boots. This is his twisted reality!

Kiril
01-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey, dont lump us in with Boots. This is his twisted reality!

:laugh: Is that even real? Looks more like a doll than a person ... which would fit into Boots twisted reality.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I thought most of the cosplay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay) is designed to emulate animated characters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misa_Amane) from video games, but I guess it goes further than that.

Kiril
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Here kitty kitty ..........

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/momcat725/Catklingons.jpg

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
There you go. Trekkies in uniform would qualify for cosplay, I'd think.

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Whats up with Irrigation Direct anyway.... Thought I'd get off that weird arse topic yal had goin on there.
I like to dress up as a ditch digger.

Wet_Boots
01-27-2009, 05:52 PM
We got cosplay for that, too....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49947&stc=1&d=1139663248

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
We got cosplay for that, too....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49947&stc=1&d=1139663248

When is enough, enough. Or do you have cosplay for that to. I think Junior might be intrested in that stuff.

Wet_Boots
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
It isn't like there's a bunch of genuine irrigation happening here lately. Start a thread with some of your job photos.

Mike Leary
01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Start a thread with some of your job photos.

You and Kiril first.

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
It isn't like there's a bunch of genuine irrigation happening here lately. Start a thread with some of your job photos.

Okay. Heres how we usually start off a job.

hoskm01
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Thats a pretty blue dress youre wearing!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Ah. Heres a trench.

Mike Leary
01-27-2009, 06:23 PM

I always wondered what happened to my ex-bookeeper.

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Here I am in a green dress.

Sprinkus
01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Ah. Heres a trench.

What's that? Dirt?!
Where are the huge slabs of rock like we have out here?

rlpsystems
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
What's that? Dirt?!
Where are the huge slabs of rock like we have out here?

Sweet digging here at 1.75 per foot. Its a very hard clay soil. The area where this was done has many brick plants.

Waterit
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
The area where this was done has many brick plants.

Is that Kiril-code for rocks? :laugh:

Kiril
01-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Is that Kiril-code for rocks? :laugh:

Dude .... I told you PLASTIC RULES ... :rolleyes:

Bunch of buffoons. :dizzy: