PDA

View Full Version : Are there industry standards for lableing irrgation controllers?

Az Gardener
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I like to know first what the valve operates IE. Pop ups, Rotors, drip, bubblers etc. Followed by the plant type lawn, shrubs, ground cover then the area West side etc. Are there industry standards that suggest what should come first and so on if so what is it???

DanaMac
01-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't know if there is a standard. We usually try to go in some order around the property, starting with the manicured lawn. Might start out rotors in front, sprays around tight areas in front, sprays around side, rotors in back, sprays around other side, THEN do your native areas, ground covers and drip zones at the end. It may alternate between spray/rotors/spray/rotors/etc. At least that is my way.

hoskm01
01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Im not sure I follow completely. Labeling the zone in the controller?

I keep a detailed list for each controller with each zone, what it runs (rotors/pops) its run time at 100%, columns for varialbes (slope,shade) and they are wired in a logical order, preferably in a circular fashion from the controller, back to the controller.

EagleLandscape
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I normally start zone 1 being the front part of the yard closet to the street, and then work me way into the yard, around one side, into the back, and around the other side.

Waterit
01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I have the foot-traffic areas go first, then work my way around the house to the back yard. That way Joe HO doesn't get his suit wet when leaving for work.

ARGOS
01-22-2009, 12:17 AM
I normally start zone 1 being the front part of the yard closet to the street, and then work me way into the yard, around one side, into the back, and around the other side.

Me too. I always put the directional location first, then equipment, then maybe plant material (ie. north west corner, rotors, lawn).

mitchgo
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
There is no standard that you have to do it a certain way. Just a recommended way.

AI Inc
01-22-2009, 08:03 AM
For me , zone 1 is always furthest from the controller. Then moves closer to it and past to end up at the street on the opposite side from where it started. Drip is always the last zone(s). If for no other reason then ease of start ups.

Sprinkus
01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I try to sequence the zones in a way that will make the service walk throughs quick and efficient.

Wet_Boots
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
One protocol I would recommend is to start at the top of a slope, and work down, since the first zone won't be getting any run-off assistance from the others.

bobw
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
We just go clockwise from the driveway. Makes it much easier for homeowners to understand.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Yup, since we use remotes, as long as every zone is in a sequence for walk-through, it does not matter where we start. As some are finding, this is the draw-back with two-wire: adding a zone and keeping the sequence is a pain in the b..t.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
My schedules are generally too complex to give a standard answer, but I normally go with turf zones first, then landscape. The order in which they run depends on various factors of the site.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
My schedules are generally too complex to give a standard answer

What? No twenty page pdf? :hammerhead:

Dripit good
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Either clockwise or counter clockwise starting with the closest turf zone to the controller. Start times are more important and key for the commercials.....you don't want the ladies getting wet going into the office. They should be home before they get that way. :waving:

Az Gardener
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
You guys are confusing the sequence in which you wire the valves in the controller with my question of how you describe what the stations/valve controls on the label inside the controller.

Front lawn East perimeter rotors
or
Rotors, lawn, front E perimeter

See the difference? The same information just formatted differently. I was just wondering if any of the associations had a preferred format. I have seen some labeling that looked like a novel and I just wish it was always consistent.

We just implemented Hindsight software and we need to get all the clock labeling into the program so it is available when those little cards go away. I am going to format it the way I like since there don't seem to be any standards.

Here is another example, get the picture.

2-GPH Emitters, shrubs, center island
or
Plants in the center island with drip

AI Inc
01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I do it standing in the street facing the house. Left curb, left front lawn , left side of house ect.
But I also draw them and have 1 inside the controller and stapled to the service order.

bobw
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
You guys are confusing the sequence in which you wire the valves in the controller with my question of how you describe what the stations/valve controls on the label inside the controller.

Front lawn East perimeter rotors
or
Rotors, lawn, front E perimeter

ahhh I get your question now... as I stated, we go clockwise from driveway (we are all front drives here)... so, my zone descriptions go like

Front Lawn Left of Drive
Front Beds Left of Drive
Side Lawn Left of House
Rear Lawn Left of House
etc

Az Gardener
01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
But you don't list what the distribution device is?

Most of you are lucky or cursed to have controllers inside. Ours are all outside and maps and labels get lost or fade so bad they are not legible in a surprisingly short amount of time. I have labeled one clock 3 times in 10 years just due to fading.

We can always tell when someone from somewhere else or a H/O from back east has done the irrigation because the controller is in the garage :laugh:

AI Inc
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
All of ours are outside too. Next to a spray zone i do (sp) drip is always last if system has it.

Dripit good
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Yes..

Didn't pay enough attention to your question.......paid more to the responses.

You sound as if you know the proper answer. In a perfect world list the head type then the area (turf, beds, then area of location) You could also state the optimal run times for your zones and cycles. A piker though may not take into consideration the seasonal increase and decrease based on historical ET.

Wet_Boots
01-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Sometimes, when I install a new controller for a confusingly laid out system, I'll use compass terms, and include a line that reads "You are facing west"

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Wish I had the proverbial nickel for clocks that I opened up to find NO zone chart. :dizzy:

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Wish I had the proverbial nickel for clocks that I opened up to find NO zone chart. :dizzy:

I'd say 98% of the systems I work on do not have one.

I'm hoping to change that this year. I want to provide an evaluation/assessment sheet with all system (if time is available of course). Provide listing of components, zones, pressure, and of course inadequacies and possible upgrades .

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I've done that, foot in mouth, quite a few times; looked at the system, asked the client, "what idiot installed this?" Had them answer, "I did."

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
See the difference? The same information just formatted differently.

Compass direction and orientation to house, general vegetation type, general sprinkler type

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Compass direction and orientation to house, general vegetation type, general sprinkler type

Nope, I made that mistake one time on dual 48 zoners; separated turf and plantings; made the walk-through insane to this day. I'm not going to re-wire those clocks and I know my man Russ is not going to either. :cry:

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Nope, I made that mistake one time on dual 48 zoners; separated turf and plantings; made the walk-through insane to this day. I'm not going to re-wire those clocks and I know my man Russ is not going to either. :cry:

1) Ummmm, what does that have to do with my post

2) I wire clocks by location of valve group and valve with respect to source, and all with respect to the controller. How I wire the controller has nothing to do with how I program it. :hammerhead:

Oh, and I usually start with the valve group closest to the site supply (i.e. front on most lots)

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
1) Ummmm, what does that have to do with my post

What post? I was simply stating a opinion on wiring clocks. Jeez, lighten up. :dizzy: Where's the pics, chief? Last I saw was some Carson valve boxes.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
What post? I was simply stating a opinion on wiring clocks. Jeez, lighten up. :dizzy: Where's the pics, chief?

You quoted me ..... on your second bottle already? :drinkup:

BTW, here is your pic

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/kiss-my-ass-3-2.jpg

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Pics work, b.s. don't get no awards from me. By the way, I don't drink.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
By the way, I don't drink.

ROFLMAO :waving:

mitchgo
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I think it's over excessive.
But when someone has a laminated card AT the valve saying what zone # it is and what is done is awesome!

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I think it's over excessive.
But when someone has a laminated card AT the valve saying what zone # it is and what is done is awesome!

And you don't think that is excessive? :rolleyes::laugh:

mitchgo
01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
No no, sorry I wrote that wrong. I think that it is over excessive when I see that.

But when you are working on a repair it's handy!

Wet_Boots
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
What post? I was simply stating a opinion on wiring clocks. Jeez, lighten up. :dizzy: Where's the pics, chief? Last I saw was some Carson valve boxes.Don't forget the bricks....

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
You quoted me ..... on your second bottle already? :drinkup:

BTW, here is your pic

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/kiss-my-ass-3-2.jpg

Dude I've got a coffee mug with that image. Post tomorrow when I drink some mornin' Java.

RandalatA1Sprinklers
02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
I do the same thing. Start in the front and work my way around the house. Seems to keep it nice and logical. Easier to follow zones when winterizing too.