PDA

View Full Version : Rainbird Tech Support

HokieAg07
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Had a good experience today with Rainbird Tech Support out in Cali.

Just picked up a new property with another Rainbird MDC 2 wire clock. Figured Id go over there and download all the data onto my laptop so I could give it a once over from the warmth of my office. Hooked the cable up and proceeded to download the data however it came up with a strange error. Tried everythign I knew to do with no luck. My local Rainbird guy is out on medical leave so my only recourse was to call Rainbird.

Got a hold of a guy in Global Support Plans who is the MDC expert over there. He spent about two hours on the phone with me trying to get to the bottom of the strange issue. He ended up deciding to warranty the controller for me and didnt charge me for the call.

Just thought that was good on them.

hoskm01
01-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Just picked up a new property with another Rainbird MDC 2 wire clock. Figured Id go over there and download all the data onto my laptop so I could give it a once over from the warmth of my office. Hooked the cable up and proceeded to download the data however it came up with a strange error. Tried everythign I knew to do with no luck. My local Rainbird guy is out on medical leave so my only recourse was to call Rainbird.

Got a hold of a guy in Global Support Plans who is the MDC expert over there. He spent about two hours on the phone with me trying to get to the bottom of the strange issue. He ended up deciding to warranty the controller for me and didnt charge me for the call.

Sounds real good on them. New controller, free support. A company that stands behind the product, for once.

ARGOS
01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I had a similar experience last year with RB. They were helpful and in my case helped me solve my issue. Free support to contractors or techs.

Waterit
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
RB could be a little more forthcoming when admitting to a mistake (TBird debacle, Turfmaster controller, ESP backplane problem come to mind) AND a little freer with RB Bucks to compensate for being their beta-testers.

Hunter Tech usually pretty good, too. WM, not so great.

Sprinkus
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
My last experience with Rainbird tech support was not good. I was calling about a problem with the SMX field test unit I was given and the dude said I should stop complaining since I got a free controller.
Weird thing is I wasn't complaining, just looking for a workaround for the MV circuit seeing the pump start unit as a short.

Wet_Boots
01-22-2009, 08:46 AM
RB could be a little more forthcoming when admitting to a mistake (TBird debacle, Turfmaster controller, ESP backplane problem come to mind) AND a little freer with RB Bucks to compensate for being their beta-testers.

Hunter Tech usually pretty good, too. WM, not so great.Rainbird printed up some very detailed data sheets on the T-Bird, explaining the modifications they made to deal with the problems that were reported. Too much information, really.

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Rainbird printed up some very detailed data sheets on the T-Bird, explaining the modifications they made to deal with the problems that were reported. Too much information, really.

They owned up to it pretty well here. Paid me lots of money to replace them. Got free goodies too.

Rotor_Tool
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Was the guy you worked with named Mike? If so, I have worked with him in the past over the phone, he is great! There is a huge difference between the Global Support Plan tech support and general tech support.....the GSP guys are all very well trained and excellent to work with. The other group...not so much!

Rotor_Tool
01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
My last experience with Rainbird tech support was not good. I was calling about a problem with the SMX field test unit I was given and the dude said I should stop complaining since I got a free controller.
Weird thing is I wasn't complaining, just looking for a workaround for the MV circuit seeing the pump start unit as a short.

This has been my experience with calls to the general tech support group....see my previous post. My test units came with the business card of the Product Manager, did you not get that contact info? I was told that the tech support group would know nothing of about this controller because it is a field test and not for sale.

HokieAg07
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Was the guy you worked with named Mike? If so, I have worked with him in the past over the phone, he is great! There is a huge difference between the Global Support Plan tech support and general tech support.....the GSP guys are all very well trained and excellent to work with. The other group...not so much!

Yep Mike Allen was his name, great guy. I got transferred to him almost immediately. The regular tech support guy didnt even try to help he sent me right to GSP!

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Rain Master never let me down; might have had to sift through a few techs, though.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Rain Master never let me down; might have had to sift through a few techs, though.

This is the best tech support you can ever get.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
This is the best tech support you can ever get.
Keep installing those ESP clocks; no wonder we never get any pics.

Sprinkus
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
This has been my experience with calls to the general tech support group....see my previous post. My test units came with the business card of the Product Manager, did you not get that contact info? I was told that the tech support group would know nothing of about this controller because it is a field test and not for sale.

In this case the product manager did not respond to my call in a timely manner, the tech support guy was rude even though he knew about the SMX.
I have the SMX sitting in my garage right now while I mull over its fate.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Keep installing those ESP clocks; no wonder we never get any pics.

Don't like RB clocks, although that might change with their new ET clock.
Only installed 1 ESP in my entire life.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
the tech support guy was rude even though he knew about the SMX. I have the SMX sitting in my garage right now while I mull over its fate.

I've had techs laugh condescendingly as I asked what I thought was a pretty good question; never used Rain Bird clocks again.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Don't like RB clocks, although that might change with their new ET clock.
Only installed 1 ESP in my entire life.

So, moving up to Lawn Genie?

Waterit
01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Rainbird printed up some very detailed data sheets on the T-Bird, explaining the modifications they made to deal with the problems that were reported. Too much information, really.

They owned up to it pretty well here. Paid me lots of money to replace them. Got free goodies too.

Knowing what they did to fix it was pointless to me - what mattered was that it got done.

They wouldn't own up to it for the longest time here, especially the TBird and Turfmaster. I am one of 2 guys to ever install that POS in my area - didn't even last a year, they replaced it with an ESP-MC. Got a shirt and some screwdrivers for my troubles to change out a $1200 controller for a $300 one.
The TBird payback was worse - even after asking up the ladder, best I could get was a box of hats.

Still use their stuff, tho: 5000's, DV's, ESP's (although I am switching to the Pro-C so's I can use my ICR).

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I had the same problems with the first T-Birds, too. RB not only admitted there was a problem, but besides replacing them, they told me to give them a invoice for the labor, which I did, and they applied it to my account, which is how I bought the motor home. :clapping: We still have a ton of T-Birds in service which will retro with the 5000 series guts when they fail: which works for us. Who else would do that?

Waterit
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
::::demands RB change their "Rewards" to "Tin Twinkie Bucks"::::

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:42 PM
::::demands RB change their "Rewards" to "Tin Twinkie Bucks"::::

That was about 100 heads they had to eat + labor. Should have charged them for the phone calls from pissed-off clients.

Waterit
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Ca-rap, I obviously missed the boat on that one - we changed out over 500, nearly 150 on one school job alone.

Of course, I am in FL, so I guess I got treated like a (drumroll, please) dork dweeb piker hack.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Ca-rap, I obviously missed the boat on that one - we changed out over 500, nearly 150 on one school job alone.

Of course, I am in FL, so I guess I got treated like a (drumroll, please) dork dweeb piker hack.

I have to say, my distributor must have stepped up to the plate; they knew a couple of players were interested in my business.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 10:12 PM
So, moving up to Lawn Genie?

No, Toro Greenskeeper :cry:

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
No, Toro Greenskeeper :cry:

I may have told the story, but it bears repeating. I did a system for a bucks-up client, Stream-Rotor city, all W*M brass sprays, 12" RB SAM/PRS bodies.Hardie "Touch Command" clock. natch. Home changed hands, new owner called us over to take over the service. Went into the mechanical room to fire the clock and found the previous owner had jobbed the Touch Command and replaced it with a Greenskeeper. I drove up the driveway; the new owners were dorks, anyway, but no way was I going to touch that clock. :dizzy:

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I may have told the story, but it bears repeating. I did a system for a bucks-up
client, Stream-Rotor city, all W*M brass sprays, 12" RB SAM/PRS bodies.
Hardie "Touch Command" clock. natch. Home changed hands, new owner called us over to take over the service. Went into the mechanical room to
fire the clock and found the previous owner had jobbed the Touch Command and replaced it with a Greenskeeper. I drove up the driveway; the new owners
were dorks, anyway, but no way was I going to touch that clock.

Why not? utilize it for now, and tell them the issues with it and try to upgrade back to something good. Unfortunately we see quite a few GKs here. SOP for some companies.

Kiril
01-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow .... now that is beyond sad. :cry:

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Why not?.

You missed the "new owners were dorks" part of it. I whittled my clientele down to the folks I liked & trusted; I assumed they felt the same. When the business sold, we lost none of the "1%ers".

DanaMac
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
You missed the "new owners were dorks" part of it. I whittled my clientele down to the folks I liked & trusted; I assumed they felt the same. When the business sold, we lost none of the "1%ers".

So...... the new homeowners thought yous guys were dorks? Pretty intuitive if I must say so.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
So...... the new homeowners thought yous guys were dorks? Pretty intuitive if I must say so.

Kinna works both ways, like dogs checking each other out. Where did you learn "intuitive", college in "Bouldarr"?

ARGOS
01-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Firing customers is part of the biz.

Mike Leary
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Firing customers is part of the biz.

My wife coined the "1%ers" line; worked for me.

Waterit
01-23-2009, 12:52 AM
The Greenskeeper is the only controller that I keep the manual for in my truck. Always forget to give it the double-tap, when what it really needs is both barrels.