PDA

View Full Version : First Skid Steer Purchase

StevensL&L
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey guys this coming Spring our company is going to purchase our first Skid Steer. Im looking for something that can lift at least full pallets of bricks for unloading off of trucks. Im just unsure of what brand would be the best? Any suggestions on what to get or what NOT to get. THANKS, Steven.

White Gardens
01-22-2009, 08:55 AM
How much you looking to spend, and will it get used year round??

StevensL&L
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes i will be using it year around. As far as how much to spend Im thinking it should run between 20,000 and 30,000 Im justing starting my just starting my research so im not completely sure.

Junior M
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
This would be better off in the Heavy Equipment and paving Forum, there's alot of knowledge in there..

PSUturf
01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
If you plan on spending several hours a day in this machine I would consider a model that has electronic joystick controls. I plow snow with a S185 Bobcat and my wrists get pretty sore after pushing the traction controls for more than 4 hours straight. I will definitely lobby for the ACS controls on our next Bobcat. My experience has been that Bobcat are well worth the price you pay.

Some pallets of brick weigh more than 2000 lbs. Consider an S205 or S250 for loads this heavy. Track machines are great in spring, summer, and fall but suck if you want to plow snow with them.

Junior M
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
If you plan on spending several hours a day in this machine I would consider a model that has electronic joystick controls. I plow snow with a S185 Bobcat and my wrists get pretty sore after pushing the traction controls for more than 4 hours straight. I will definitely lobby for the ACS controls on our next Bobcat. My experience has been that Bobcat are well worth the price you pay.

Some pallets of brick weigh more than 2000 lbs. Consider an S205 or S250 for loads this heavy. Track machines are great in spring, summer, and fall but suck if you want to plow snow with them.
Now that last part isnt totally true, a rigid frame track loader (A ctl like a Bobcat, NH, Case, JD) is bad for pushing snow. An MTL like an ASV or CAT loaders with ASV undercarriages are great for pushing snow.. Like I said put this in the Heavy equipment forum and you'll get lots of knowledge and help..

zedosix
01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey guys this coming Spring our company is going to purchase our first Skid Steer. Im looking for something that can lift at least full pallets of bricks for unloading off of trucks. Im just unsure of what brand would be the best? Any suggestions on what to get or what NOT to get. THANKS, Steven.

Most pallets of brick weigh in at 3000 to 3500 lbs. You won't be lifting these off with any bobcat 205 or even a 250. I use a gehl 5640e with counterweight and it will lift more than any bobby cat in the same weight category. It will lift the 3000lb pallets with ease, the heavier pallets we need to unload one or two rows max if we are unloading from our 5 ton truck. What you need to do is what I did 2 yrs ago, and get 2 or 3 co's to loan you for a day or two and do all the tests you need, like picking up pallets and comfort etc. Especially important is the overall view out the cab. This is where the gehl shines in my opinion. Check em out you won't be dissapointed. Hey they are made in the usa right, can't be that bad.

richallseasons
01-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I have a bobcat 763g and I do like it but now that I have some experience with the machine I keep thinking I should have gone with an 8 or 9 series.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Sweet looking machine

White Gardens
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Most pallets of brick weigh in at 3000 to 3500 lbs. You won't be lifting these off with any bobcat 205 or even a 250. I use a gehl 5640e with counterweight and it will lift more than any bobby cat in the same weight category. It will lift the 3000lb pallets with ease, the heavier pallets we need to unload one or two rows max if we are unloading from our 5 ton truck. What you need to do is what I did 2 yrs ago, and get 2 or 3 co's to loan you for a day or two and do all the tests you need, like picking up pallets and comfort etc. Especially important is the overall view out the cab. This is where the gehl shines in my opinion. Check em out you won't be dissapointed. Hey they are made in the usa right, can't be that bad.

That last company I worked for, we went through 2 Gehls in 6 months. One broke the motor mounts, and the second one had a bad motor.

Not saying they are all that way, we might have just got two lemons.

My favorite machine that I've driven is the Takeuchi. Awesome machine.

If and when I get a skid, I'm highly considering the Bobcat A300 with the 4 wheel steering system.http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/product_lines/all_wheel_steer/a300

Junior M
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Imo if you are goin to decide on a skid, you dont need us to tell you what you need because everything we run will always be the absolute best in our opinion. You just need to go take a day and drive around to all the dealers, tell them your interested in a skid in equivalent size to the S205/250 and go sit in it, run it, get a couple demos lined up on your favorite machines. The way I look at it, if you listen to all the guys on here you'll never get anywhere, this thread will end up being one huge argument about who makes a better machine and then you'll end up with a machine that you dont want or need..

Fiano Landscapes
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm not to familiar with caeterpillar units, or ASV, but I had all of the major brands on demo before we made our purchase. The the one thing i remember about the cat was that replacement parts to the undercarriage, and replacement part in general we very high priced. We demoed the 257b track machine, and like someone has already It didn't lift my pallets of material. The deere ct322 was a very nice machine out of the others it lifted, and had the most traction effort of all the machines. We ended up buying the bobcat t-190. It has been a very reliable machine all around. One of our deciding factors was the terms of the loan. I would have probably gone with the deere, but they couldn't match 0%. Our negotiation process went a whole lot farther with the bobcat dealer as well. THe deere dealer thought I should just pay what they said because it had deere on the side of it. One thing that I have found out is that a skidsteer is like a pair of shoes. One particular unit is not going to fit the same for everyone. If your a serious buyer have these dealers fight over your business. We had New Holland, Cat, Deere, Bobcat, etc. Also my thoughts are as follows "once you go tracks you'll never go back" We do snow removal also with our bobcat.

stuvecorp
01-24-2009, 12:39 AM

I am biased, but would say a 430 or 440 Case, will lift and if you are going to plow the two speed is golden. Go and try some out, lots of deals out there.

Lite4
01-24-2009, 08:17 AM
My last company ran cats - don't bother, they were all dawgs limited lifting power and no counterweight. They also get stuck very easily.

New Holland makes a good machine. They will lift a ton with their generous counterweight package and cab access and visibility is great.

I worked for a company about 4 years back that had a Bobcat A-300. Once you get the counterweight kit on it, it lifted a ton. Pallets of block and brick are no problem off a 40' trailer deck. We replaced the standard tires with the wide, large turf tires. These gave the machine extra counter weight and man with the all wheel steer we were never tearing up tires, asphalt or grass. This was a dream machine to operate too.
We had a bobcat T-190 also, LET ME JUST SAY, the machine did great on dirt and steep slopes but when it came to pushing snow, we traded it for one of our wheeled skids after about 5 minutes of sliding around on the ice. Those rubber tracks are designed for less lbs per sq. inch of footprint weight. You really need that weight when you are on ice and snow. Just my .02

Coastalld
01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
My suggestion is to first decide between rubber tires or tracks. Highly recomend tracks especially if you are dealing with sandy soils. I have done a lot of research on this and the Tacheucci is an excellent machine. Easy to run maintenance on, easy to opperate, and economical. A cat is very overpriced and they essentially took a Tire machine and put tracks on it. The Tacheuchi is a dedicated track machine. I own a John Deere 260 and am looking at trading it in for a Tacheuchi.

zedosix
01-30-2009, 05:30 PM
My suggestion is to first decide between rubber tires or tracks. Highly recomend tracks especially if you are dealing with sandy soils. I have done a lot of research on this and the Tacheucci is an excellent machine. Easy to run maintenance on, easy to opperate, and economical. A cat is very overpriced and they essentially took a Tire machine and put tracks on it. The Tacheuchi is a dedicated track machine. I own a John Deere 260 and am looking at trading it in for a Tacheuchi.

That couldn't be any further from the truth.

ford550
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
You need to have a few dealers let you demo the machines your interested in. Put them through the same paces, put it on paper and make a decision. That's how we do it.

AWJ Services
02-01-2009, 09:51 AM
That couldn't be any further from the truth.

Sounds exactly right to me.:laugh:
Of course I might be biased.:rolleyes:

For Hardscaping I think tracks are not needed.I Like the Gehl machines as well.

I still personally feel that if the primary purpose of the machine is grading a CTL is your best bet and Takeuchi is the most bang for the buck.
I prefer a large cab.Part of the visibility is being able to turn in the cab and look comfortably.

I also like Pilot/Joystick controls.But thats what I learned with.

There is no perfect machine out there and Zedosix gave the best advice.
Do not go by ROC exclusively.Get the load you will be moving around and actually do it in the environment you will be moving it in.
My Takeuchi has a ROC of 2000 pounds but I unload and move pallets of blocks, pavers and stone well in excess of 3000 pounds.
Some machines work bigger than they are and some work smaller.

Coastalld
02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
That is something I forgot to mention, By all means DEMO the machine. All these dealers will bring it our to the job for you, let you use is for a few days, and at no cost to you. Definitly good advice.

stuvecorp
02-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Don't feel you have to go for a full track machine, you could get some rubber tracks(like Solideals). If you don't need tracks on a job take them off to save wear. I went a long time with no tracks. Also think how much you use it, a used late model machine could save you some money.

Midstate Lawncare
02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
bobcat T-190

KCLawnTamers
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
If you have a tekeuchi dealer around you I would check out a tl150 or the new model this year is a tl250.. Same machine.. It is a track machine with pilot control.. I run one and love it.. it is a 95 horse machine and picks up anything you can get to it seems like..

Sunscaper
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
We have an S205 bobcat with the counterweight option and it will lift a pallett of pavers with no problem. I think our pallets weigh around 2650k. Sod can be a problem if its wet. An s250 will do anything you want it to with ease. An S205 would be the smallest machine I would consider. Also you want hand controls without a doubt.

Weedburner
02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Steve: I have been looking to by my first skid loader also. I will be using it around the farm to move material and replace my old fork lift. It will also do snow removal and some landscape work. I decided to go with a tire version for my application. One of the guys I work with is older and has had a knee replacement. I need a machine he can get in and out of. I tried several brands so far. The Gehl was a little difficult to in for my helper and get his feet placed. The joysticks we quite sensitve and take some practice to back up straight. I really liked the rear bumper. The New Holland has a great boom set up and is about 6 inches lower than other machines. The first one was hand-foot control, which convinced me to by a joystick machine. The cab is pretty bare, but the joystick worked well. I did not find a John Deere with joy sticks. The manual controls would be a challange to operate all day and the cab was tight. After the dealer priced a new one I moved on, about 5K above everyone else. The Cat I tried was a C model. It had a very nice cab, quite and lot of electronic options. Ride control, boom lock out, a switch to go from H-pattern to joystick, a creeper function etc. The price was right with everyone else, just wondering about repair cost down the road. The Case I tried was an H-pattern control and a bit noisy. Would like to try a joystick machine before ordering a new one. The filters look like they could be tough to service. All were within $1500 except the Deere. Did not try a Bobcat yet. I think they are all pretty good machines.

shovelracer
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Everyone has made some good points already. 2 things they didnt touch on although they have been discussed on here are weight/size and upkeep. A track machine is crazy expensive off the floor, they take a real big hit in the first couple years and they can be had for your price pretty easy. One thing to consider though is tracks can be real expensive, at least a lot more than tires. If you are over sensitive ground everyday than it is a no brainer, but if you are using it all around better to get wheels and just rent a track here and there. Also a 205 is a mid size frame like the 185/175 good size for getting around tight spots. A 250 is a large frame and is quite a bit harder to get around tight lots. Also the weight is a concern depending on your tow rig. Dont forget that you might have a ton or so of attachment weight on the trailer too.

EliteScapes
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
GEHL CTL 60... Amazing machine..

AWJ Services
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
A track machine is crazy expensive off the floor,

My TL 140 was 47k loaded new.It is a 9K plus machine.A similar wheel machine will be as much.

The depreciation factor has alot to do with overinflated Cat MTL machine prices..