PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Kitchens Made Easy

JimLewis
01-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Anyone ever heard of or used the Labor Saver product by OLP (Outdoor Living Products ... www.bolp.com) ???

I saw them recently at a Landscaping Expo. Took a class on them actually. Then got to have some hands on experience later at the big booth they had. They're pretty freakin' sweet, IMO. It takes the job of constructing an outdoor kitchen and makes it easy enough for guys who aren't stone masons to figure out. And it saves a lot of labor vs. traditional methods for custom building outdoor kitchens and BBQ surrounds.

They come in individual 'modules' that you place together to form whatever shape you want. Then you bolt them together and make cut outs for the BBQ, Sink, Doors, Grill, Whatever you want to place in them.

They've taken a lot of time out of the finish work too. No mesh needed. It already has a scratch coat too. It's ready for mortar right out of the box and then you just mortar whatever stone veneer you want on the front and sides. On top, you can do whatever the customer wants too; tile, large pavers, granite, whatever outdoor countertop material you want.

The product is made of GFRC (Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete) and it's very solid stuff, despite being only 1" or so thick. It's also rated for any weather conditions.

John Deere Landscapes is the nationwide supplier, if anyone is interested.

Here are some photos to give you an idea of how their system works;

JimLewis
01-22-2009, 04:03 AM
And here's some photos of what you can do with the system:

Total Landscape Solutions
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Looks like a great time saver.

Lite4
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Jim,
How are you? Yeah, I have used them. They are pretty sweet and do save a lot of time. I found a company back east that does the same thing, but they are made to your design specs and when I used them last year they were less expensive. Here is a link to thier site. Their fireplaces are outstanding too.

http://www.exteriorfireplaces.com/user_pages/home_0.shtml?page=Home

Bru75
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks like a good idea, I'm going to check them out. Thanks for posting this.

Venturewest
01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I also took the class at John Deere. They really would be a time saver. I just need to sell some kitchens!

I have to admit though it is tough to swallow 2-3 thousand for fairly small kitchen design. In our market it is probably 1/2 that to have a masonry crew come in and custom build the thing with block.

The nice thing about the Labor Saver is the fact that you can just set them on an existing patio grade without pouring a footing.

Tim, even with shipping that other place is less expensive?

Lite4
01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Ron,
Yeah, even with shipping it was still cheaper by a thousand or more when I bid the whole project. Our local JDL just jacks up the prices on everything, it is ridiculous. They did this project in phases so we only ordered and installed the fireplace initially. Since I have left the landscape company, they have ordered in and installed the kitchen unit now also. They have really nice details on their work and they are incredibly sturdy. If you are in the market for a kitchen unit, you owe it to yourself and your customer to check these guys out. Here is a link to an old thread that shows the fireplace I installed.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=239332&highlight=my+last+project+as+a+landscaper

JimLewis
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Jim,
How are you? Yeah, I have used them. They are pretty sweet and do save a lot of time. I found a company back east that does the same thing, but they are made to your design specs and when I used them last year they were less expensive. Here is a link to thier site. Their fireplaces are outstanding too.

http://www.exteriorfireplaces.com/user_pages/home_0.shtml?page=Home

Doing good. This time of year sucks though for revenue. The weather has been nice here and we've picked up a few 2 day jobs because of it. But still, most of my guys are just sitting around waiting for work. I hate knowing that we could be working and doing jobs but not having anyone who wants us to, yet. That will all change soon, though.

Been giving a fair number of bids for this time of year, though. That's what got me starting this thread. I had to scan that brochure so I could email it to a client who is looking at having us install a paver patio with one of those BBQ Islands on top. I was trying to explain to him how it worked but I didn't have the flyer in my truck at the time. So I scanned it and sent it to him via email. I figured while I am doing that, I might as well show you all. I did a search and didn't see anything about it.

That other company looks like they make nice stuff too. Made of GFRC also. And custom is nice. But I kind of like the idea of just having a local company (JDL) where I can just go pick up some modules and get going without having to wait 4 weeks for someone back east to custom make and ship something to me.

I like their firepits and fire tables though! I might get some of those for some clients!

Lite4
01-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, if you are in a hurry it is nice to be able to just go and pick up what you need. That is very convenient having them close at hand.

Glad to hear you are doing some bids. I sent resumes to those companies you referred me to. Thanks for that. I had an interview today with a large company in Sun Valley. It seemed to go pretty well, but I will have to wait and see.

CedarStore
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
WOW, I really love these kits for creating outdoor kitchens. Add a Pergola (http://www.gazebocreations.com/spl/structurecategory/pergolas/4) and a dining set (http://www.allpicnictables.com/), and you're good to go! Thanks a lot Jim!

tthomass
03-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I use http://www1.firerock.us/ for fireplaces. 36" kit is about $1,200-$1,300 and 44" is about $1,400-$1,500.

PlatinumLandCon
03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
I use http://www1.firerock.us/ for fireplaces. 36" kit is about $1,200-$1,300 and 44" is about $1,400-$1,500.

Woah, there's a retailer about a mile and a half from my house for those guys. Great lookin' kits but I'm sure the 36" kit is $1500+++ in canadian $$:dizzy:

tthomass
03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
I paid about $1,450 for a 44"

TPnTX
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Jim this is an old thread, are you still using these. I looked at the JD website, Im not sure the are a distributor anymore.

Anyway, if the price of the cabinet frames is anything like the fire place that is way high it seems to me. Even though it "saves labor"

It isn't hard to find someone who can use a wire welder. I taught myself years ago. Angle iron is cheap. Hardi-board is cheap.

JimLewis
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
We haven't had the opportunity to install one yet. I've given several bids over the last year or so since I attended these classes but haven't yet landed a job from it yet.

Yah, John Deere Landscapes still sells / stocks them - at least around here. There are some landscape companies around my area who still buy a lot of these every year.

They are a little spendy, though. A 48" x 36" x 30" unit is around $600 or so. And you'd typically need several of these for a full outdoor kitchen. But what else are you going to do? Cinder blocks? From what I've heard, the labor on building them this way is like 1/4 of what it is doing it the traditional way. But I wouldn't know. I never did it the old way. And I am not interested in learning how to do it the old way. But this way seems pretty basic. This is something I think we could do without learning any special skills.

Doesn't seem to be something we get a lot of requests for, however. I give maybe 2 or 3 bids a year for an outdoor kitchen. So less than 1% of the bids I give are for this.

Stonewall
04-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I think Belgard offers some modular units that already have the stone on them. 3 piece fireplace set in place with forklift, etc. Even more of time saver if the rock is done.

rawtoxic
09-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I do these kitchens. I have been contracted to do 5 so far and did one this winter at my house. The modules are great. But everyone your bidding against is using them too, so I've learned to make my own with metal studs and hardibacker. I have a good carpenter on my staff and we made more $5k on a $8k kitchen we just did. If we used the modules our labor would be less but it would have been closer to $2500 on a $8k job. Sure he was there another 2 days for the extra framing but I'm not paying my carpenter $1250 a day :)

Watch out for the learning curve on these puppies, my first one I maybe made $500 after a few mistakes!

Also screw all the veneering rock and stuff- the best looking way I've found to face the cabinets is a product by Dryit called TerraNeo which is a Stucco that looks like granite (not glossy but kind of like rocks)

I'm in bed with a local reseller he shows his products to potential customers for me and refers his walk in customers in my area to me for installation. We split his wholesale markup on my sales so like $3500 in materials I will see around 15%-20% of. I give him $100 for bid referrals and $250 for jobs we get. I think he's happy and I met this guy at a trade show I had a booth next to. Remember to network. I have an extra $8K in the bank this year just because of meeting this guy!

Glenn Lawn Care
09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
A company I used to work for 4 years ago started selling outdoor kitchens the last year I was there. It didn't work out for them at all. They had to sell both their shop and office and they are not doing well anymore. I got out at the perfect time. They were one of the biggest LCO's around this area. Good Luck!