PDA

View Full Version : Denver Botanic Garden

JoeyD
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Here is a cool video, you irrigation guys should really dig it! This is a really popular and renowned Botanical garden in Denver, CO. We were so thrilled to get to be apart of this amazing project! This is one of our first major 24v projects!

http://vimeo.com/2846731?pg=share_email&sec=2846731

Lite4
01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Cool, That looks like a fun project.

JoeyD
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Our Colorado rep Dennis Ferdinandsen spent a lot of time assisting with the design and layout of that project. Turned out to be a jem!!

Lite4
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
who is the contractor installing?

JoeyD
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Not sure...I thinkt he botanical garden has a full maintnenace staff that handled everything.......

Eden Lights
01-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Not sure...I thinkt he botanical garden has a full maintnenace staff that handled everything.......

"Typical Unique"

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Joey, in this type of scenario, does Unique lighting do anything at all to encourage the "customer" (in this case the Denver Botanic Garden) to hire a local professional lighting designer/contractor to do the design and installation work? I would sure hope that you do. I can only imagine the headaches that would be associated with having to hand hold the onsite maintenance staff through a complex installation process.

If you do not provide this type of guidance and referral process I would think that your loyal contractors in Denver would have a great reason to be a bit annoyed with Unique.

AI Inc
01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Joey, tell me more about 24 v. In a new thread if need be, Will it run off a 24 v irrigation controller?

Venturewest
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I am sure the onsite "maintenance staff" consists of not only techs, but electrictians, engineers etc. If you watch the video you can see a glimpse of the enormous complexity of the systems required to operate an incredible botanical gardens. I am sure the staff will perform a stellar installation. I have an idea that a contractor not familiar with the systems of the botanical garden would pretty much be in the way. Just my opinion.

Really cool project though. I will try to check it out first hand next time I am in Denver. Did Nate design it?

Lite4
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I am sure the onsite "maintenance staff" consists of not only techs, but electrictians, engineers etc. If you watch the video you can see a glimpse of the enormous complexity of the systems required to operate an incredible botanical gardens. I am sure the staff will perform a stellar installation. I have an idea that a contractor not familiar with the systems of the botanical garden would pretty much be in the way. Just my opinion.

Really cool project though. I will try to check it out first hand next time I am in Denver. Did Nate design it?

You can teach a maintenance guy how to properly wire a system and check the voltage, but you can't expect him to know how to create a beautiful overall scene by using specific type lamps/lenses/louvers and proper fixture selection and placement unless someone like Nate designed it for them.

I am going to have to agree with James on this one. Unique is always training and instructing. Offering classes to teach advanced tricks and techniques and how to create and visualize projects. Unique is usually all about networking with "their pros" and keeping their products in the hands of the guys who install their products regularly. Very surprising they would take this caliber of a project and leave it in the hands of a irrigation tech, "maintenance guy". If I was a local lighting pro in that area and bought Unique products, I would be miffed if I didn't even get a chance to bid on the project. If I am too high priced, fine, at least I got a chance to do it and they know I am there if they get in a jam and need some professional local help, consultation or ongoing system maintenance on the project down the road. I would feel like my manufacturer did an end around me to just move product without any regard to those who are loyal to them and buy their products. Good way to get guys in the Colorado area to look at other manus, Vista anyone.

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Unique is a manafacturer...not a referal company. If a contractor in the area didn't bid or try to sell the job then why should he get the contract. The place didnt send it out for bid. they have a capable guy on staff. That maintenance guy knows way more about his site, his electric, and doing the work without affecting the site conditions. I could only imagine a contractor coming in and trying to install this job. What a disaster it would be.

The maintenace guy is probably an engineer with years of schooling and training. How many on this forum have that? Who here is an engineer? A few are electricians probably.

The attitude toward Unique is absurd. I am not a user of Unique really, well except for the custom transformer they make for me, which, Joey, is working great!!!

Lite4
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I love Unique products and use them whenever I can. I can see your side of it too as well though. Perhaps there were no other contractors in the area qualified to install for this project so they decided to do it themselves. Most of these publicly funded projects are usually fairly $ conscience as well too, try to keep as much in house to reduce costs. If they are going to install quality lights at least they picked a good company and I am sure Nate put together a stellar design for them. Guess I shouldn't be so hasty to judgement without all the facts. There are always 2 sides of the stroy. Sorry Joey, I didn't mean to step on any toes. Just in one of those moods that day.

JoeyD
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
"Typical Unique"

Why dont you call Dennis F. our rep in colorado if your so concerend. Typical Eddie

Dennis Ferdinandsen 303-901-3805

JoeyD
01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Joey, in this type of scenario, does Unique lighting do anything at all to encourage the "customer" (in this case the Denver Botanic Garden) to hire a local professional lighting designer/contractor to do the design and installation work? I would sure hope that you do. I can only imagine the headaches that would be associated with having to hand hold the onsite maintenance staff through a complex installation process.

If you do not provide this type of guidance and referral process I would think that your loyal contractors in Denver would have a great reason to be a bit annoyed with Unique.

I should have worded correctly. Denver Botanical has a full staff that is perfectly capable of isntalling the lighting. They worked with us on the new 24v systems. we made suggestions on the design and specification of product but they took it upon themselves to handle the project.

JoeyD
01-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Glad someone watched and understood! LOL This sint your typical residential job. Few are capable of handling a job of this complexity........The staffa t denver botanical doesnt just consist of maintenance crews........

Sometimes I wonder why I post!

SamIV
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I know what Joey is trying to say. Kinda why I limit my exposure here. The written word on forums is hard to deliver at times and not always as easy to fully understand.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Chris J
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Glad I don't have that problem..........:wall:laugh:

worx
01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Easy with that head bangin' buddy.......:wall.....:jester:

SamIV
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Have you guys been forgetting to go to sleep again. I'll be offering my time management course here Mardi Gras week. The week people get blasted and kill each other for trinkets. Also some things that customarily do not show up in public unadorned come out for extra trinkets.

Burt

Pro-Scapes
01-27-2009, 12:19 AM
We are there Burt we are bringing extra beads.

JoeyD
01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Trinkets Billy, Trinkets.......LOL I am glad that most of you understood what this post was about. This was merely to showyou a cool project video, something we dont get a lot of here. We dont need to scrutinize and pick apart every post on this forum, take some things at face value and be pleased! LOL