PDA

View Full Version : Lock to Keep Boom From Swiveling on QC's

greendoctor
01-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Here is how I keep my walking boom from spinning at the end of the wand. The hardware is 2 U-bolt pipe hangers for 1/2" pipe and 1 backup plate for 2" pipe. That is the long piece going between the two U-bolts. There are wing nuts on the U-bolt that clamps to the wand, so the boom is easily detached for transport. Everything is stainless steel. Expensive, but not likely to corrode any time soon.

RAlmaroad
01-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Good Job Greendoctor. Thanks for sharing. Roy

Ric
01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Green

I am failing to see an advantage to a walking boom. I use a single nozzle wand about 5 ft long and am very happy with it. By swing the wand I cover about a 10 ft wide path. I have this done long enough to be fairly consistent. At 5 gallons a thousand it takes me about 2 minute per thousand on 5K lawns.

Please explain the advantage of a Walking Boom??????

Hogjaw
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Only reason we use booms are for better coverage and eliminates the waving of arm action, bad on my shoulder. At my age, I just can't do it anymore from a physical standpoint.

Have used single/double nozzles where you just hold them out in front of you while walking. We're now using either 3, 4, or 5 nozzles on each boom for wider coverage, depends on lawn size and obstacles.

Just my two cents worth from me.

I've had to adapt to a situation called 'my body dictates now what I can and can't do'.

Take care,

Jimmy

Green

I am failing to see an advantage to a walking boom. I use a single nozzle wand about 5 ft long and am very happy with it. By swing the wand I cover about a 10 ft wide path. I have this done long enough to be fairly consistent. At 5 gallons a thousand it takes me about 2 minute per thousand on 5K lawns.

Please explain the advantage of a Walking Boom??????

Ric
05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Only reason we use booms are for better coverage and eliminates the waving of arm action, bad on my shoulder. At my age, I just can't do it anymore from a physical standpoint.
Have used single/double nozzles where you just hold them out in front of you while walking. We're now using either 3, 4, or 5 nozzles on each boom for wider coverage, depends on lawn size and obstacles.

Just my two cents worth from me.

I've had to adapt to a situation called 'my body dictates now what I can and can't do'.

Take care,

Jimmy

Jimmy

I am only 68 Years old, so I guess it will be another 10 years before I need a walking boom.

americanlawn
05-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Ditto with Ric. I don't see any walking booms around here anymore....probably for good reason.

About twenty years ago, I had nagging pain in my right wrist, elbow, & shoulder. I had been spraying since the late 70's. It was like carpletunnel, and I even started wearing an elbow brace.

So we did away with the ChemLawn guns and switched to TeeJet lawn guns. I noticed "immediate relief", cuz the TeeJet guns weighed less than half what the ChemLawn guns weighed. That did the trick for me.