PDA

View Full Version : past due customer

jbturf
01-23-2009, 05:56 PM
i get a letter in the mail dated 1/21/09 from a
past due customer from this past season.
says hes not paying because i charged him for a lime
application that he did not sign up for nor request or even recieve.

so this guy owes for 3 treatments and has been getting monthly past due statements and phone calls with no response, and finally responds now with that!

turns out he did return a signed + dated contract to me requesting lime,
he did get a lime application and an invoice on 8-22-08, and i even scheduled this with the customer as his family was going on vaca and wanted me to treat while thay were gone.

this guy has been a historically slow payer, now is he seriously trying to weasel outa paying?

blake1012
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
screw it.....get the money, drop the customer...........i hate dealing with crap like this.

PROCUT1
01-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Dear Customer:

Please be advised that if we do not receive payment within 10 days we will be pursuing collection action which may include placement of a mechanics lien on your property.

Thank You

mattfromNY
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I would send him a letter, keep a copy for yourself, stating if not paid in full by a certain date, he will be sent to collections. End of story. If not paid, send the bill collectors after him.
You treat lawns, and are good at it (I assume). They collect money, and are generally good at what they do. It sounds like you've done what you can, you have a signed contract and have tried unsuccessfuly to collect.
If he has a beef, he needs to make the next move. When he loses, he can pay YOUR attorneys' fees, as well as his own.

mattfromNY
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
...Ditto what Procut said...

jbturf
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
ive had to resort to that aproach in the past, only a couple times though-
but each time i ended up losing the customer

i guess after crap like this i would be better off parting ways

you know it just sucks were on the bottom of the food chain and not taken seriously-
i bet he didnt send a letter to his bank trying to weasel outa his mortgage, or to his power company disputing his electricity

DLAWNS
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Dear Customer:

Please be advised that if we do not receive payment within 10 days we will be pursuing collection action which may include placement of a mechanics lien on your property.

Thank You

I like that...short and sweet....to the point.

mattfromNY
01-23-2009, 08:39 PM
I've only ever had to threaten collections on one customer (knock on wood). This happened a few weeks ago, he called and appologized for 'not getting my bills' in the mail. (All three bills, one certified he signed for, then a late notice w/ collections threat!) Anyway, he called and appologized, mailed out a check, added in $20.00 late charge (Actual late charge was only $8.25)
I guess I've been really lucky.
Wish the best for you, hopefully it all works out in your favor.

tlg
01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
ive had to resort to that aproach in the past, only a couple times though-
but each time i ended up losing the customer

i guess after crap like this i would be better off parting ways

you know it just sucks were on the bottom of the food chain and not taken seriously-
i bet he didnt send a letter to his bank trying to weasel outa his mortgage, or to his power company disputing his electricity

The guy's a chronic late payer. A customer who won't pay needs to be gone. They only way your going to bring yourself up from the bottom of the " food chain" is to demand these kind of customers don't get "fat" on your bread and butter!