PDA

View Full Version : Help with this Observation

Pistol
01-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Late last summer I killed several areas of my lawn that were pretty infested with bermuda (lawn is fescue). We are in the dreaded transition zone for lawns. One month later I slit seed and did a light topdressing of worm casting and composted cow manure (the Black Kow stuff). The other areas of my lawn were fertilized with Scotts Organic lawn fert.

Observation:
The areas that I killed, reseeded and fertilized currently (jan. 23) looks very nice & green. The old areas look normal for winter, ie: slightly yellow & dormant.

Question:
Do you think :confused:the very nice green grass due to:
1) good organic fert.
2) new grass (seeded 3rd week of sept.)
3) combo of both

i'm just curious - it is night & day in the new vs old areas.

Thanks, Pistol

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM
............. 3

BTW, you should have over seeded the entire lawn, not just the areas you killed

DUSTYCEDAR
01-24-2009, 12:58 AM
3 is the winner

treegal1
01-24-2009, 07:27 AM

and does fescue have like a life span or something that after a while its just past its prime??????

DeepGreenLawn
01-24-2009, 08:13 AM
It seems it would be hard to tell... as it is typically overseeded every year. Here in GA it if not seeded continuously and carefully cared for... its a waste of time and money...

Kiril
01-24-2009, 08:16 AM
and does fescue have like a life span or something that after a while its just past its prime??????

What he described for the other area is pretty typical fescue response in the winter, at least in my area.

dishboy
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Often newer Cultivars or different Cultivars will exhibit different shades of green as well as different wintering characteristics. What type of Fescue are we talking about?

Pistol
01-24-2009, 10:23 AM
The seed I used is Rebel IV. I've always used Rebel on the lawn over the years.

Yes Kiril - ii should have don't the whole yard - it looks stupid right now

Pistol
01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I should have done the whole yard

Kiril
01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I should have done the whole yard

Whenever you overseed, always do the entire lawn. While your at it, put down some compost and aerate if needed.