PDA

View Full Version : New trailer help decide

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 04:29 AM
I am looking to buy a new trailer for the upcoming season. Im not sure if i want to go with a 20ft or a 24ft. Cost is not the issue, i was thinking that pulling a 24ft trailer might be a little hard to find enough curb space when doing lawns.

Marek
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
What are you looking to carry ? We run 20' Pace Summits and carry 2 XS zs a walkbehind and push , or 3 Xs zs and a 36" in the bed of the truck.

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
What are you looking to carry ? We run 20' Pace Summits and carry 2 XS zs a walkbehind and push , or 3 Xs zs and a 36" in the bed of the truck.

I will be carrying a Z two walk behinds and a push. I know that the twenty is enough but im looking at it for the long run. I just dont want to have to buy a new trailer every couple of years.

DLAWNS
01-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I would think that the 20 would be sufficient. I have a 16 foot v nose enclosed trailer and I can fit a walkbehind, Z, Navigator, push mower as well as handhelds, hand tools and a shelf in the front (in the V). It's a little tight but with four extra feet you should be good for a while. But at the same time if you think you have room at most of your accounts for the 24 than go for that.

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I would think that the 20 would be sufficient. I have a 16 foot v nose enclosed trailer and I can fit a walkbehind, Z, Navigator, push mower as well as handhelds, hand tools and a shelf in the front (in the V). It's a little tight but with four extra feet you should be good for a while. But at the same time if you think you have room at most of your accounts for the 24 than go for that.

D-Lawns, Thats what im worried about having room in front of all of my customers houses. But at the same time even if i had to block the drive way the average size yard i do only takes 15 minutes maybe twenty and the price difference between the 20ft and 24ft is only 600 hundred dollars.

DLAWNS
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
D-Lawns, Thats what im worried about having room in front of all of my customers houses. But at the same time even if i had to block the drive way the average size yard i do only takes 15 minutes maybe twenty and the price difference between the 20ft and 24ft is only 600 hundred dollars.

I'd say get the 24 then, that way you won't need to upgrade for a long time.

Marek
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
If you ever have plans on towing with a stake body or dump truck then make sure you get the extended tounge. It gives you a much better turning radius,and its nice not having to worry about turning sharp or jack knifing the rig.

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
If you ever have plans on towing with a stake body or dump truck then make sure you get the extended tounge. It gives you a much better turning radius,and its nice not having to worry about turning sharp or jack knifing the rig.

Thanks for the advice!!!

newtostone
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
I think a 20' would hold you for a few years, And on you have the need for holding more mowers you'll have a second crew. The only time my 20' gets tight is in the fall with the push blowers and mowers and all that random stuff that ends up in there. Now unless your working large acres you wont need a 24'. But if your on one or two properties all day you may want the 24'.

Paint the floors ASAP when you get it.

HBLandscaping
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with DLawns, If the price is only a matter of $600 for the 24ft and money is not a problem for then go with the 24ft, I'd rather have more room then I need then not enought room and need it.

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I think a 20' would hold you for a few years, And on you have the need for holding more mowers you'll have a second crew. The only time my 20' gets tight is in the fall with the push blowers and mowers and all that random stuff that ends up in there. Now unless your working large acres you wont need a 24'. But if your on one or two properties all day you may want the 24'.

Paint the floors ASAP when you get it.

Newtone what do you haul in your trialer everyday?

yeayea14
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree with DLawns, If the price is only a matter of $600 for the 24ft and money is not a problem for then go with the 24ft, I'd rather have more room then I need then not enought room and need it.

Yea i hear you but 24ft is alot of trailer to be pulling everyday im just not sure what way to go with this.

HBLandscaping
01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Is there a chance that you can cut out some equipment that you carry each day, I know with my lawns I only have to carry all my equipment (3 w/b's, 1 push, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers and some misc equip) only 1 day each week, the rest of the time I can get by with only half the equipment.

Yeah 24ft is a little big for some areas, I know I have a 12ft trailer and some of my area is alittle tight with that one. Just see what will work the best for ya, look at the parking area, equipment that is needed each day, cost of trailers etc.

yeayea14
01-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there a chance that you can cut out some equipment that you carry each day, I know with my lawns I only have to carry all my equipment (3 w/b's, 1 push, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers and some misc equip) only 1 day each week, the rest of the time I can get by with only half the equipment.

Yeah 24ft is a little big for some areas, I know I have a 12ft trailer and some of my area is alittle tight with that one. Just see what will work the best for ya, look at the parking area, equipment that is needed each day, cost of trailers etc.

! def have to have my z and two walk behinds and a push. Right now i only have a 12ft trailer and i can barley fit my z and 1 walkbehind.

newtostone
01-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Everyday hauling is 1 60" rider and 1 60" walk. Sometimes a second walk will be added. But what is great about only hauling two mowers is that you can walk in the side door and work on the front bench or grab a weed whacker which is on racks across from the side door without stepping all over mowers.

yeayea14
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Everyday hauling is 1 60" rider and 1 60" walk. Sometimes a second walk will be added. But what is great about only hauling two mowers is that you can walk in the side door and work on the front bench or grab a weed whacker which is on racks across from the side door without stepping all over mowers.

I hear what your saying but that is not possible for me because i have some large yards that i cut the front with my 52 and the back with a 48 because the 52 wont fit and others that the 48 wont fit so i have to use the 36 so i need to have all three mowers avaible to me even though the 36 will fit where the 48 does it would just take to long to cut those big back yards with a 36

newtostone
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I hear what your saying but that is not possible for me because i have some large yards that i cut the front with my 52 and the back with a 48 because the 52 wont fit and others that the 48 wont fit so i have to use the 36 so i need to have all three mowers avaible to me even though the 36 will fit where the 48 does it would just take to long to cut those big back yards with a 36

It will be easy to fit 3 mowers of those sizes and still have some room for a bench up front. Just turn them and youll only take up 36" and not the 5' that the mower is.

IdealLawnCare
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
If I could have a trailer built I would have a 20' trailer. It would be a 8' x 12' enclosed on the rear4 part and a 8' x 8' side dump box on the front. I think that would be a great combo trailer for me. A guy could build a leaf box on the dump for cleanups and the rest of the season you could run a ZTR or WB up into it or even your 21" mowers. You would have a place to put trash or even the shrubs, mulch or edgeing a customer wants you to install.
What do you guys think of that.