PDA

View Full Version : Scotts or lesco Which is Better?

Rich's landscaping
01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Just wondering which Fertilizer is better Scotts or Lesco or is there a better one to use. I started last year in july (kinda Late) so this will be my first year from the begining to end. :confused:

RigglePLC
01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Depends on the deal and the dealer. TSC makes Lesco fert. Both have many different types. If you mow the same grass you will probably want to go for at least 50 percent slow release, especially if your properties are irrigated. Think about zero phos if soil tests show no need on average. Try to match what the soil needs based on soil tests. Try to avoid clumps and dusty products. Not sure if you need lime in your area.

DLAWNS
01-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Depends on the deal and the dealer. TSC makes Lesco fert. Both have many different types. If you mow the same grass you will probably want to go for at least 50 percent slow release, especially if your properties are irrigated. Think about zero phos if soil tests show no need on average. Try to match what the soil needs based on soil tests. Try to avoid clumps and dusty products. Not sure if you need lime in your area.

I prefer Lesco products, personally.

Hissing Cobra
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Comparing Scotts to Lesco is like comparing apples to oranges. You're can't just compare brand names, you've also got to compare the percentages of slow releasing properties, amount of nitrogen, amount of phosphorus, amount of potassium, sq. footage that each bag will cover and of course, price.

Unfortunately, there's many people out there who only look at price and don't take into account that sometimes the more expensive product will be better in many ways, including the ability to get more sq. footage out of a bag, thus their cost per 1,000 sq. ft. goes down. Applicators need to educate themselves and look at the whole picture before they should make that decision.

I've used many different varieties of both brands many times over and at the end of the day, any nitrogen based fertilizer will green up a lawn very nicely. They're both good fertilizers.

rcreech
01-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Comparing Scotts to Lesco is like comparing apples to oranges. You're can't just compare brand names, you've also got to compare the percentages of slow releasing properties, amount of nitrogen, amount of phosphorus, amount of potassium, sq. footage that each bag will cover and of course, price.

Unfortunately, there's many people out there who only look at price and don't take into account that sometimes the more expensive product will be better in many ways, including the ability to get more sq. footage out of a bag, thus their cost per 1,000 sq. ft. goes down. Applicators need to educate themselves and look at the whole picture before they should make that decision.

I've used many different varieties of both brands many times over and at the end of the day, any nitrogen based fertilizer will green up a lawn very nicely. They're both good fertilizers.

Totally agree!

I think you can even take this a step further! I do look at the analysis and SCU etc...but what about QUALITY!!!!

QUALITY is worth a lot to me!

I also like to look at the following:

Consistency of prill size
SGN
Dustiness
Plastic bag thickness (this may sound stupid...but Lesco's plastic bag is VERY THICK and keeps product fresh).

I am not saying that Scotts fert has quality issues...but just some things to look for when comparing different fert sources!

DUSTYCEDAR
01-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I like fresh

rcreech
01-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I like fresh

:laugh:

I guess I should have explained!

It keeps it dry and looks like the day it was packaged!

I have used cheaper product in thin bags and it seems like it sucks up some moisture etc!

Thick bag means better protection!

RigglePLC
01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Plastic bag fertilizer usually has laser punched holes to let the air out--otherwise it stacks like footballs. Impossible to stack a pallet.

Lesco usually has a row of about 6 to 8 holes along the left side. Has anybody else noticed this? All brands? What about insecticides?

rcreech
01-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Plastic bag fertilizer usually has laser punched holes to let the air out--otherwise it stacks like footballs. Impossible to stack a pallet.

Lesco usually has a row of about 6 to 8 holes along the left side. Has anybody else noticed this? All brands? What about insecticides?

I have never noticed the holes on the side I guess...but I LOVE the easy open bags with the perf opening!

Guess I need to pay better attention as I have handled a ton of them!

greendoctor
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM

All bags I have seen are vented, otherwise you can't stack them. Exceptions to this are the bags diazinon 14G or Nemacur came in. If those were vented, you could not get near them without SCBA.

Runner
01-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, but Scotts bags are prettier. When you figure that along with the fact that they cost more, then Scotts MUST be a better fertilizer...

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-25-2009, 12:50 AM

I've never actually done a soil test, I've always based my fertilizer apps on looks, which I know isn't the proper way, any recommendations on what kit to use? I've seen the ones at the local supply store with the Orange, Green and whatever pills you put in the vile with the soil? I've also seen that 4 way "Rapitest" analyzer?? Any recommendations would be great, maybe you simply send them into a lab for analysis????

RigglePLC
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you new around here? Take several samples.
Try a soil testing laboratory. Like:
http://www.al-labs-west.com/sections/about

Or better yet--pay a little more--and get your Lesco/Deere dealer to send it in for you. That way you get the skill and in-depth knowledge of your Lesco salesman to help you. He can suggest a program for your situation. Or maybe not. Shop around.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Are you new around here? Take several samples.
Try a soil testing laboratory. Like:
http://www.al-labs-west.com/sections/about

Or better yet--pay a little more--and get your Lesco/Deere dealer to send it in for you. That way you get the skill and in-depth knowledge of your Lesco salesman to help you. He can suggest a program for your situation. Or maybe not. Shop around.

Well, I have no Lesco dealer here, so I'd have to send off my samples, have you used this company and what is their turn around time/price?
How well do those soil probes work, wouldn't those work?

americanlawn
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Scotts & LESCO are both high quality IMO. But one of these competes against you.

We used Scotts fert for many years, but we quit using Scotts after receiving a 'strongly-worded' letter of "threat to sue" us from a law firm in Washington, D.C. that represented the O.M Scotts & Sons Company. This threat upon our company came out of the blue - with no advance warning. No phone call, nothing but a threat to sue my business. I will never forget how Scotts handled this situation until the day I die cuz, we had a fine relationship with Scotts. Cindy & I were even kinda proud that we were her biggest Scotts customer in our State. She even asked if we could feature bags of Scotts fertilizer in our television commercial. BTW, I agreed.

Scotts did not like the fact that we told our customers we were applying Scotts fertilizer (like they couldn't see the bags). This all happened about six months before a Scotts Lawn Care franchise started up here....... Up until this point, we were the largest purchaser of Scotts fertilizer in our State (according to our Scotts saleslady, Cindy F.), Columbus, Ohio. Cindy & others soon lost their jobs (after the Scotts reorganization), and we promptly switched to LESCO products.

Now I ask ---- Why would anybody buy from Scotts???... cuz they directly compete against you & everybody else. To me it's a no brainer. Now I hate Scotts fertilizer...hope now all know why. True story.

RigglePLC
01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
New City,
A and L Laboratories is excellent for soil tests. Like all laboratories they take a day or two to grind the soil, remove rocks and dry the sample. After that it is probably all automated. Sample a few typical lawns. Typical price is about 12 to 15 dollars, I think. Probably you can have the report emailed to you. Early in year is better--beat the rush. CLC Laboratories is also good--Lesco uses CLC. Either case, you will get details like the cation exchange capacity, base ratio, maybe organic matter, and the amount of lime needed to correct any acid soil.
Metal probes are poor for soil acidity--and worthless for phos and potash. Most labs do not test for nitrogen since it varies so rapidly.

Their suggestions for the fertilizer to use are sometimes vague or only offer a range of suggestions. Talk to several dealers. You get a ton of Bs mixed with an ounce of real information. FILTER! Ask a lot of questions. (Why do you suggest that instead of this?) Do this--and you will do fine.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't know how much fillers mean to some of you guys but if you do some probing into this subject you will find that Scott's fertilizer is made with alot of junkie clay fillers.

quiet
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
This gets to be a such a silly debate.

When buying fertilizer, look at the label listing the percentages of nutrients, and their sources. Every mfr makes different formulations using either homogenous sources or combinations of sources. There are many formulations of Scott's products, good and bad, and many formulation of Lesco products, good and bad. There are other mfrs and blenders as well.

A wise, but cantankerous old man once wrote here: "It's what's IN the bag, not ON the bag."

Brand names really don't mean much.