PDA

View Full Version : Rain Bird Timer Help

rbaroncpd
01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I just purchased a home with an auto sprinkler system and I have a Rain Bird timer that has a dial on the left and two columns of buttons on the right that allow you to set the days of the week and how many times a day you want the sprinklers to come on.

My question is about multiple watering times.

I have 6 zones.

If I set Zone 1 to come on at 12:00AM and run for 15 minutes twice a day then does it come on at 12:00AM and again at 6:00AM?

Also....

If I set Zone 2 to come on at 12:30AM does it come on again at 6:30AM?

If I set for three times a day.... the interval the manual say's it comes on is 4 & 8 hours.

Using the above zones..... Zone 1 will come on at 12:00AM, again at 4:00AM, and again at 12:00PM? Is that correct?

My new town say's I can water my new sod from 12:00AM to 10:00AM everyday except Friday and I am a little lost as to how to set it up for maximum watering during the times allowed and not break the rules of the town.

Thanks much.......... Rich

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
First scenario, yes. If you program 2 start times, (12a and 6a) then it will run that program, and all the zones you have set on it at 12a and 6a, on every day of the week that you tell it to.

Second scenario. You are confusing start times for the program with start times for the zone. That controller does not have individual start times for each zone, just for each program. So, zone 1 and 2 should be on program A and start it at 12 and 6. zone 1 will run for however long you tell it to, then 2 will follow as soon as 1 is done. They wil run al the zones for the program until they are all complete. At 6am, it does the exact same thing over again.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
What the guy above said.

Kiril
01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I may point out that putting the appropriate amount of water onto your landscape is of paramount importance. You typically will never need to water anything in the landscape everyday unless you are sitting on top of a very sandy soil, or have alot of new plants.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Programming irrigation controllers are pretty easy. I have experienced alot of homeowners that think a start time is needed for each and every zone. What happens is that programs stack and the irrigation system runs for hours and hours. Had one that ran 24 hours a day. Ask your neighbors with irrigation who they use. Alot of times they will come out and walk you through it, hopefully for free because they want the service contract for the system. I cant speak for them but even if they charge $75 its worth the investment to have your system run as it was designed.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
I may point out that putting the appropriate amount of water onto your landscape is of paramount importance. You typically will never need to water anything in the landscape everyday unless you are sitting on top of a very sandy soil, or have alot of new plants.

The OP said he has new sod. Now I don't know where he is located, but have you ever watered Kentucky Bluegrass in the Colorado high desert in the summer? If it's not watered THREE times a day it will burn. Guaranteed. I know this is winter and he should not need that, but just sayin..........

Wet_Boots
01-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Just set start times as if you only had one zone - unless you're screwing up the programming (and you might be) you only have to worry when zone one starts. The other zones will follow.

Kiril
01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
The OP said he has new sod. Now I don't know where he is located, but have you ever watered Kentucky Bluegrass in the Colorado high desert in the summer? If it's not watered THREE times a day it will burn. Guaranteed. I know this is winter and he should not need that, but just sayin..........

Yea, same here ... but he didn't say when the sod was put in, just that it was new. I would consider any plant "new" until it has successfully made it through a full growing season. Watering necessarily needs to be adjusted according to the rate of establishment and the type of soils you are dealing with.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Just set start times as if you only had one zone -

That's a good way to describe it. This is probably the #1 problem we get when the homeowner sets the controller. "why is it now running all day, over and over?"

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Yea, same here ... but he didn't say when the sod was put in, just that it was new. I would consider any plant "new" until it has successfully made it through a full growing season. Watering necessarily needs to be adjusted according to the rate of establishment and the type of soils you are dealing with.

True - I can't see watering twice a day for sod more than the first week this time of year. unless it is unseasonably warm and dry.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 12:00 PM
True - I can't see watering twice a day for sod more than the first week this time of year. unless it is unseasonably warm and dry.
Like 70 in January in Colorado?

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
That's a good way to describe it. This is probably the #1 problem we get when the homeowner sets the controller. "why is it now running all day, over and over?"

Yeah...... Bad controller........REPLACE>>>>>>
Just kidding guys. I get your point.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Like 70 in January in Colorado?

Oh yeah. 3 days ago :)

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Over a month of no rain here...

Finally ready to start two installs and three days of straight rain.:cry:

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Over a month of no rain here...

Finally ready to start two installs and three days of straight rain.:cry:

Got sun here. Fixen to go out and play in the mud. :)

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Got sun here. Fixen to go out and play in the mud. :)

Pics?.........

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Pics?.........

Of what? Mud?

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Really? I and two guys were ready to go this morning and I called a rain day. It's dumping here...

We were going to be in Angels Camp (Greenhorn Creek) all day. I use weatherunderground.com for my forecast and it forecasted showers all day.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Sucks. Here one day of rain means two days no work.....

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Really? I and two guys were ready to go this morning and I called a rain day. It's dumping here...

We were going to be in Angels Camp (Greenhorn Creek) all day. I use weatherunderground.com for my forecast and it forecasted showers all day.

Yes, I see it is. Looks like it might clear up in a bit though.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DAX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
How do I zoom that radar out so I can see how much of a window I have? It says right click zoom out?

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:47 PM
How do I zoom that radar out so I can see how much of a window I have?

This is the radar from the bay area.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=mux&loop=yes

Kiril
01-24-2009, 12:49 PM
and for the entire north west

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacnorthwest_loop.php

and south west

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/pacsouthwest_loop.php

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks. I will take some time later to figure how to use the site. Looks like it will be clear a while.

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
9am still enough time to go to work. See ya.

rlpsystems
I hope the original poster got his answer about the Rain Bird timer. If nothing else he'll learn about the weather...

irrig8r

Kinda points out where bluegrass ought not be grown then doesn't it? How does buffalo grass do there?

They water twice a day in Palm Springs too.... I think it's crazy. Turf where you get highs over 110 for days at as time is just nuts. (Never been to Phoenix, but I expect it's the same)

Especially when you consider that the bulk of their water supply is diverted from the north of the state, at the expense of sustainable salmon populations.

Kiril
This full resolution loop is pretty cool. Haven't seen this yet.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok. I haven't left yet...

But I have been getting caught in cloud burst the last few days. I need this radar on my cell.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 12:59 PM

That's the one I keep permanently on the laptop when we're cruising.

Kiril
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok. I haven't left yet...

But I have been getting caught in cloud burst the last few days. I need this radar on my cell.

Does come in useful.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Kinda points out where bluegrass ought not be grown then doesn't it? How does buffalo grass do there?

They water twice a day in Palm Springs too.... I think it's crazy. Turf where you get highs over 110 for days at as time is just nuts. (Never been to Phoenix, but I expect it's the same)

Especially when you consider that the bulk of their water supply is diverted from the north of the state, at the expense of sustainable salmon populations.
Golf courses water once a day.

Once bermuda is established, past sod-watering-in-period, I watered twice per week, maybe 3 during the hottest weeks. Deep roots. Bet I used far less water there than Bluegrass does here.

Turf in my front yard was a little different. Watered 3-4 times per week. Sandy base, 1/2" cut.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM

I agree entirely. But the sod farmers pretty much only grow and sell K Blue. There are a a few that do some buffalo or some kind of fescue, but you rarely see it. I think the sod farmers can get more cuts per year of the bluegrass. It is the WORST here. It needs more water, stresses quicker during July/August, turns brown earlier in Oct. than all the others. Not good at 6000'-7000' elevation and only 12"-16" of rain a year.

rbaroncpd
01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
The sod was put in last Wednesday. It is 4 days old.

My question is about the Rain Bird timer.

All the Zones are different. Zone 1 thru 6. If I set Zone 1 to come on at 12:00AM, and run for 15 minutes, the rest of the zones follow suit. Zone 2 @ 12:15am, zone 3 @ 12:30AM and so on.

Using the above settings for zone 1 (12:00AM) and set the timer for all zones to water one after the other 2 times a day, the timer picks how far apart the water goes on. On the screen it will say +6. So I am guessing that zone 1 will come on at 12:00AM and again at 6:00am. Zone two will come on at 12:15am and again at 6:15am and so forth until all 6 zones water the grass twice. Is that the correct assumption? For 3 times a day the timer says +4 +8.

So, based on three times a day and using zone 1 as an example then zone 1 comes on at 12:00AM, 4:00AM, and here is the main question..... for the +8 part..... does the water in zone 1 come on at 8:00am or 12:00PM?

I came to Florida from Chicago. In Chicago when new sod is laid down we would run the sprinkler 12 hours a day until the grass took root. Did not have to pay for water, or rather not very much anyway. But here in Florida there are restrictions. The sod can be watered 24 hours on the first day and from day 2 until 30 12:00AM to 10:00am and again from 4"00pm till 11:59PM.

Thanks again for the needed help....

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
What model is that timer?

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
What have we got?, a delay programmed in? The zones should come on one after the other on each start time.

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
What have we got?, a delay programmed in? The zones should come on one after the other on each start time.
Yeah, I dont know about this +4, +8 biz.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
It's tough if we don't know the model. the +6 or +8 or whatever does sound like a delay.

Each timer will have a few different programs - lets say A, B, C

Lets start with Program A, and say it is turf only
On Program A, you will tell it which days to water, what start time, and the number of minutes per station. Each station can be a different number of minutes. Theoretically lets say you have 4 turf zones - spray heads, rotors, rotors, and sprays again. It should be set approximately 15 minutes for #1, 30 for #2, 30 for #3, and 15 for #4. Set ONE start time and ALL 4 zones will run. Not at the same time, but #1 will run 15 minutes, #2 will turn on when #1 turns off, #3 starts when #2 turns off and so forth. Each station does not need a start time.

So if you want it to run twice a day, set for 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM.

Program B could be set up for any drip zones that can be watered independently from the turf. lets say it is #5. You can set it for 4 AM, for 60 minutes, and it will only run once a day, instead of the twice a day with the turf.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Get the Lear Jet fueled, this is getting complicated.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Get the Lear Jet fueled, this is getting complicated.

Better yet, unhook the wires from the controller, send it to Mr. Leary, he'll program it properly, and send it back to you. $2500 please. Oh and it will have a remote control attached to it.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Better yet, unhook the wires from the controller, send it to Mr. Leary, he'll program it properly, and send it back to you. $2500 please. Oh and it will have a remote control attached to it.

That's Box 666, Cactus Kiss, AZ 696969, one our highly-trained techs will get right on it. No large bills please.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 02:33 PM
That's Box 666, Cactus Kiss, AZ 696969, one our highly-trained techs will get right on it. No large bills please.

Nice gang signs!!

hoskm01
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Nice gang signs!!
Mexican gangs.

Thats the sign for the Cantaloupe Kings, Nogales, AZ.

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Mexican gangs.

Thats the sign for the Cantaloupe Kings, Nogales, AZ.

Oh crap - are the Cactus Queens going to shoot up a tin twinkie now? Better get to making that potato gun out spare PVC parts.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
The sod was put in last Wednesday. It is 4 days old.

My question is about the Rain Bird timer.

All the Zones are different. Zone 1 thru 6. If I set Zone 1 to come on at 12:00AM, and run for 15 minutes, the rest of the zones follow suit. Zone 2 @ 12:15am, zone 3 @ 12:30AM and so on.

Using the above settings for zone 1 (12:00AM) and set the timer for all zones to water one after the other 2 times a day, the timer picks how far apart the water goes on. On the screen it will say +6. So I am guessing that zone 1 will come on at 12:00AM and again at 6:00am. Zone two will come on at 12:15am and again at 6:15am and so forth until all 6 zones water the grass twice. Is that the correct assumption? For 3 times a day the timer says +4 +8.

So, based on three times a day and using zone 1 as an example then zone 1 comes on at 12:00AM, 4:00AM, and here is the main question..... for the +8 part..... does the water in zone 1 come on at 8:00am or 12:00PM?

I came to Florida from Chicago. In Chicago when new sod is laid down we would run the sprinkler 12 hours a day until the grass took root. Did not have to pay for water, or rather not very much anyway. But here in Florida there are restrictions. The sod can be watered 24 hours on the first day and from day 2 until 30 12:00AM to 10:00am and again from 4"00pm till 11:59PM.

Thanks again for the needed help....

Are there any irrigation companies in your area? First thing to do is eliminate all start time and start from scratch. Find out what zones run where and what type of heads they are. Go to program start time and put in the start time you want for in the a.m. That start time will run all zones, one right after the other. For a second watering time enter it for start time 2. Put in the time and thats it. Watch zones for run off and dry spots. If the previous homeowner programmed it or the "landscaper" programmed it that could be your problem. I have had many controllers programmed that way. The programs stack up and then they run continuously. Its a waste of water not to mention could kill your new sod. Good Luck

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Was driving by the house and stopped to change boots. I will need to figure that radar out. It looked like it was about to clear in less then an hour, I got to the yard and had rain gear on, but the boots got soaked from puddles, etc. It continued to rain for another 2 hours. I am slightly familiar with thermal lift (which is a reason we get rain and the valley is dry), my crew got to Angels Camp and it was dry.

I don't mind the boots wet in summer, but the cold is painful.

Wet_Boots
01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
They do make waterproof boots, you know.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM

And waterproofing spray.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Did we help that poor homeowner?

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Did we help that poor homeowner?

He's probably more confused than ever. Our job is now complete. :)

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:46 PM
He's probably more confused than ever. Our job is now complete. :)

Send the bill.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Our job is now complete. :)

Next?........

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Next?........

Ridding the planet of Toro residential irrigation

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Ridding the planet of Toro residential irrigation

With words like that, you'll fit in nicely here.....

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
With words like that, you'll fit in nicely here.....

Thanks Dana
Just telling it as it is....

DanaMac
01-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Dana
Just telling it as it is....

I hear ya brotha. Toro is a 4 letter word for residential. And that word is CRAP.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I hear ya brotha. Toro is a 4 letter word for residential. And that word is CRAP.

I would always say BULL s#i^
And to think that people actually sell that stuff. Anyone everheard of the old 500 ez adjust rotor. PS I would never call that a "rotor" off the record or on

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 06:59 PM

Let's us not forget the Stream-Rotor, the finest gear-drive ever made. At least Toro still makes it, though Ed Hunter never got the pat on back for what he invented.

mitchgo
01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Are there any irrigation companies in your area? First thing to do is eliminate all start time and start from scratch. Find out what zones run where and what type of heads they are. Go to program start time and put in the start time you want for in the a.m. That start time will run all zones, one right after the other. For a second watering time enter it for start time 2. Put in the time and thats it. Watch zones for run off and dry spots. If the previous homeowner programmed it or the "landscaper" programmed it that could be your problem. I have had many controllers programmed that way. The programs stack up and then they run continuously. Its a waste of water not to mention could kill your new sod. Good Luck

I think they main point for the user to understand is that a Start time inside a program does not coincide with that particular zone starting.

What Model is the Rain Bird?
Most have 3 programs with 4 start times each inside.Program A, B, And C. So program A has 4 start times and B has 4 and so on. This means to what ever minutes you have set up on each zone for that particular program that single start time will run through all the zones.

So Program A with 1 start time at 12:00. zones 1-6 have 15 min each.
Once that program starts it will run through all the zones and finish at about
1:30am.
If you were on Program A again and set the NEXT start time at 12:15. ( Most Controllers but not all) The programming will Stack. Meaning the controller will wait until 1:30 to start the next 12:15 start time.
It does sound like you have A Rain delay- The controller waits a certain amount of time to run the next zone.

I Agree with RLP
Find out how to completly erase the programming and start new.
I would recommend an irrigation company to come out and do all of this for you.

Where do you live? It's January for gosh sakes.
I say for the momemt untill spring time comes to make things simpler, just focus on the new sod zones with 2 Programs.

Say zone 1 and 2 are your only new sod zones.
Start a program A at 12:00 that is set up to only run zone 1 and 2 ( You will probably need to Zero out the rest of the zones since default is 10 min.)
Then go to program B at 6:00am and set it to run only 1 and 2.

Be sure as RLP says to make sure you indentify which zone runs with what kind of head ( Ie A pop up stationary spray or a rotating sprinkler head) Because that factors in with the Run time.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I think they main point for the user to understand is that a Start time inside a program does not coincide with that particular zone starting, for gosh sakes.

Well gosh, I think you've hit on something; usually, it's unplug the clock,
remove the battery, let sit for a while and re-program & keep it on one
program unless you have a drip zone.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I think they main point for the user to understand is that a Start time inside a program does not coincide with that particular zone starting, for gosh sakes.

Well gosh, I think you've hit on something; usually, it's unplug the clock,remove the battery, let it sit for a while and re-program & keep it on one program unless you have a drip zone. That's the way we do it in Cactus Kiss.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 07:12 PM
That's the way we do it in Cactus Kiss.[/QUOTE]
Well here in Martinsville we hit the reset button. And was it Aaron Tippon that said Kiss This

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 07:18 PM
That's the way we do it in Cactus Kiss.
Well here in Martinsville we hit the reset button. And was it Aaron Tippon that said Kiss This[/QUOTE]

Gosh.........Who the flying f..k is Aaron? Like Bob Cloud? :dizzy: We're talking sprinklers here; doufus, not deliverance.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Well here in Martinsville we hit the reset button. And was it Aaron Tippon that said Kiss This

Gosh.........[/QUOTE]

Sorry Mike. Just feeling a little bit sassy. Wont happen again.
N-O to TORO.

mitchgo
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Well gosh, I think you've hit on something; usually, it's unplug the clock,
remove the battery, let sit for a while and re-program & keep it on one
program unless you have a drip zone.

Why do that if there is a reset option?
Especially if its non-volatile memory... Yes I Unplugged the controller! Removed the Battery! Let it sit ...All soo I can Erase the Time! Yes!

Would be nice to know the model.....

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Especially if its non-volatile memory... Yes I Unplugged the controller! Removed the Battery! Let it sit ...All soo I can Erase the Time! Yes!

If you want a controller that loses everything when you unplug and remove battery look for the Greenkeeper 212. Awesome controller at n affordable price.

Mike Leary
01-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Yup, I agree, but even non-volatile clocks can be erased; and that is the whole deal....Rain-Master has a setting where you can take out certain parts of the twelve programs, but still keep the time, etc. This guy needs to ZERO the clock and start over and, hopefully, be not so confused by our bantering to be able to handle it.

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Yup, I agree, but even non-volatile clocks can be erased; and that is the whole deal....Rain-Master has a setting where you can take out certain parts of the twelve programs, but still keep the time, etc. This guy needs to ZERO the clock and start over and, hopefully, be not so confused by our bantering to be able to handle it.

Right on. Call an irrigation expert to do it. Sod costs way more than irrigators. I can come down and put in a Pro-C.
ps Let me know.

Waterit
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Greenkeeper 212. Awesome controller at n affordable price.

POS at any price is still POS. Are you the same guy who said "N-O to TORO"?

rlpsystems
01-24-2009, 09:19 PM
POS at any price is still POS. Are you the same guy who said "N-O to TORO"?

That Toro talk was a joke. Kinda like Toro products.. Sorry for the confusion.
I promise not to talk Toro Talk no more.

ARGOS
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM

I knew this was coming. I HAVE waterproof boots. I won't go into it, but I had to wear the old boots today. Geez.

I guess this is what happens when there is no football. Take it out on the poor guy in the field.

Waterit
01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Argos, get NFL Network - the season never ends, it just goes into reruns.

AI Inc
01-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Argos, get NFL Network - the season never ends, it just goes into reruns.

NFL reruns beats the bag out of American midol , or pretty much anything on network tv.

rbaroncpd
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
You guy's are right. I am totally confused.

Here is a picture of a page in the manual that the original question was about.

As you can see if I wanted to water the grass 3 times a day, the interval is 4 and 8 hours.

So if Zone 1 was set for 12:00 midnight, would Zone 1 start again at 4:00AM and again at 10:00AM. OR Again at 4:00AM and again at 8:00AM?

That is my question. For three times a day does the 4 & 8 hour interval ALWAYS start from the original time set OR from the last time watered?

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

As you can see if I wanted to water the grass 3 times a day, the interval is 4 and 8 hours.

So if Zone 1 was set for 12:00 midnight, would Zone 1 start again at 4:00AM and again at 10:00AM. OR Again at 4:00AM and again at 8:00AM?

That is my question. For three times a day does the 4 & 8 hour interval ALWAYS start from the original time set OR from the last time watered?

Still not sure which model you have, so we don't have a clear answer for you. That controller probably has an INTERVAL feature that most of us don't use. We prefer to custom schedule our controllers, and yours probably has a way to do it. Some controllers have preset programs built into them. if you can find the model, I can look up the instructions at rainbird.com.

to answer your question - yes. More than likely it will always start at the given start time that you enter. And start again 4 or 8 hours later from the original start time. I think. Maybe. I've been wrong from time to time.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
It does say "Hours FROM FIRST start time for additional watering times". So I am assuming if you start it at 12:00, it will start again at 4:00, and then at 8:00 for the 4 hour interval, three times a day.

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 11:11 AM

I agree, its 4 hours from first start time, then 8 hours FROM FIRST START TIME.

The whole point of watering sod multiple times per day is to keep it wet and cool since it has little or no roots down in the soil. Maybe 12am for a first start time was just an example, but I wouldnt water more than twice a day at this time f the year, even if I were still in Phoenix. prob 7 and 3, if I had to use your timer with set intervals. dont keep it soggy all night, youre asking for a

STD.

(Sod Threatening Disease) I hope youre not 15-24, your chances go up apparently!

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Matt - that is too damn funny.

rbaroncpd
01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
OK, I got it I believe.

From what others are saying, I can assume that I just set Zone 1 to start at 12:00AM, for say, 15 minutes, pick the day's I want to water, how many times a day and the controller will auto pick all the other times. Would that be right? I would not have to enter how long to water for all the remaining zones?

Also the Model is SST-600i

rbaroncpd
01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
hoskm01,

Good one.... and I am waaaay past 24yrs old.

Thanks all you guys for the help.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 11:58 AM
OK, I got it I believe.

From what others are saying, I can assume that I just set Zone 1 to start at 12:00AM, for say, 15 minutes, pick the day's I want to water, how many times a day and the controller will auto pick all the other times. Would that be right? I would not have to enter how long to water for all the remaining zones?

No you should have to enter run times for EACH station. Different station and different head types need more or less water.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Rainbird SST-600i controller

Honestly, that is a Do-it-yourself retail sold controller that I'm not familiar with. But I think we're getting you taken care of.

rbaroncpd
01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I would just have to enter the "how long it should water" times and NOT what times I want them to start correct?

Wet_Boots
01-25-2009, 12:15 PM
By the way, tell us all again why you didn't just read the manual.

http://www.rainbird.com/DIY/literature/timers.htm

hoskm01
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM
OK, I got it I believe.

The controller picks the remaining start times, not the run times. You still need to specify how long each zone to water, based on nozzle, slope, shade, etc.

Take some pics of the controller and your yard. This story needs a face.

Kiril
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Was driving by the house and stopped to change boots. I will need to figure that radar out. It looked like it was about to clear in less then an hour, I got to the yard and had rain gear on, but the boots got soaked from puddles, etc. It continued to rain for another 2 hours. I am slightly familiar with thermal lift (which is a reason we get rain and the valley is dry), my crew got to Angels Camp and it was dry.

I don't mind the boots wet in summer, but the cold is painful.

Yea, I noticed the precipitation seemed to be hanging around your area. Did you have fun in the mud?

Kiril
01-25-2009, 01:03 PM
By the way, tell us all again why you didn't just read the manual.

http://www.rainbird.com/DIY/literature/timers.htm

Took a look ... have to admit, never seen that controller .... but I LOVE a controller that gives per valve programming control. This is usually a feature you only find in high end controllers.

That being said, I see no interval option for watering days. :hammerhead:

Personally I would like to see ALL controllers lose the stoopid "schedule" approach.

ARGOS
01-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea, I noticed the precipitation seemed to be hanging around your area. Did you have fun in the mud?

Actually I wimped out. I went to the yard and got a skeleton crew on their way to Angels Camp while I took care of some errands (small repairs I have been putting off, etc). Realized the work was light and inside so I could wear my uggs. No one noticed.

Now it's snowing.

Rotor_Tool
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Personally I find this kind of humorous....

SST=Simple Set Timer....I remember seeing marketing documents for this controller the tagline stated that "the controller was so easy to use, you could throw away the manual".

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

SST=Simple Set Timer....I remember seeing marketing documents for this controller the tagline stated that "the controller was so easy to use, you could throw away the manual".

That is funny.

Waterit
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Be easier to just throw away the controller.

bicmudpuppy
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM

poor guy probably would have been better off WITHOUT the manual!! FIMCO needs to sell him a real controller from his e-bay store. Install a battery, program it and mail it to the poor guy.