PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailers

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I am looking for an enclosed trailer for this coming season and I just got a couple quotes from a haulmark dealer near me and a Legand dealer. The haulmark dealer helped me narrow down my choices to the Kodiak or the Transport DLX. And the legend dealer gave me a price also for one of their models.

7x16 Kodiak: 6" additional height, 32" side door, 24" atp stoneguard, pair of chrome front corners, 14"x14" non-powered roof vents, two 12v dome lights, 12v wall switch, rear ramp door (4500# capacity).

Price: $5889.10

7x16 Transport DLX: 6" additional height, 24" atp stonguard, two 12v dome lights, 12v wall switch, 15" tire upgrade, pair of rear stabilizer jacks, 3/8" side wall covering, rear ramp door (4500# capacity), 36" side door, (4) 5000# square recessed D rings.

Price: $4907.54

7x16 Legand: Rear ramp door, side entry door, advantec floor, stone guard, smooth aluminum siding, dual axel, brakes, 77" interior height and a pair of rear stabilizer jacks ($100 extra). NOTE: this trailer is made of all aluminum.

Price: $6998 regular/ $5998 on sale

Is there a really big difference in quality between the kodiak and transport? I do really like the Transport DLX because it would fit my budget best, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I want to make sure that this trailer lasts me for quite a while.

I am also looking at a wellscargo trailer, but have yet to call to get a quote on one, I will be doing that tomorrow. So if anyone has some info on any of the trailers that I mentioned, please let me know, I want to make sure that I will be making the right choice.

nobagger
01-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the DLX is the way to go. Some of the things I liked were the extended height roof, the 3/8 plywood sides are a huge benefit (wish I would have got that). I'm partial to the full width trailers (8.5ft) vs (7ft). One thing you have to realize is no matter what trailer you get remember its pretty much a tin can with wood trim. I ended up sinking about 1400.00 into my 8.5x16 enclosed during inspection. The payload's are crap so I ended up installing a whole new spring set 2 sizes above what came stock, fixing 2 out of 4 electric brake set ups and a few lights. The trailer is only 3 years old and very pampered, meaning I'm usually the only one who tows it. What ever trailer you decide on you will have to do regular maintenance like grease the wheel bearings, rear door bearings, seal up floor with either paint or oil based stain yearly, even wax it on a regular schedule. They are a good investment, they can be a rolling billboard and keep equipment out of the weather and secure.

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I will be the only one towing it. So far I plan on putting some type of protective coat on the floor and the walls as well. I know that it will get waxed a few times each year. Maintenance really shouldn't be an issue since it just takes a couple minutes, and it isn't every day that I have to grease everything.

Is an 18 footer going to make that much of a difference from a 16 footer? The trailer is going to be bigger than my current trailer which is only a 6x14. I would go with an 8.5' wide but since most of my accounts are residential the smaller size will be better for me. I will only be putting a 60" dixie chopper in there with the colletion system on it (in the fall) and maybe a 32" or 36" wb later on down the road.

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone else have any comments or suggestions for me?

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I Bought a brand new (2008) 7x16 V-nose all aluminum Legend Series trailer last year and never used it but for storage. It is white in color with the advantech flooring. It has a ramp rear door with flip down flap (bought extra) and a 36 inch side door After all the dealer fees and doc fees I have about $5900.00 into it. I will sell for $4700.00. Interested call me 574-360-5940. I am located in South Bend, IN.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry, it is a 7x19 trailer

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
That might still work. I am fairly open to different sizes as long as they are at least 16'. I'll let you know if I am interested though.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Just let me know, Thanks

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Will I see a significant improvement in fuel economy with a v-nose? I do mostly city driving, only highway driving is taking a mower to a dealer rarely. The only issue I have with a 16' v-nose is that I will lose some storage space.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Not sure, unless you do mostly highway driving. However you will notice less drag due to the V-Nose and the lighter aluminum contruction and I would think this would have to help with fuel economy somewhat, even in the city. As far as storage space it is a 19 foot V-nose so the actual box part is 16 foot with the V-part adding an extra 3 feet of storage. I posted pictures in the Market Place forum if you want to take a look

loupiscopolandscaping
01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
depends on whats towing the trailer. a pickup i could understand if there is a differance, but with a dump truck the height of the body takes most of the wind beating anyway

mowerbrad
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
For the little highway driving that will be done with this trailer, I don't really feel a need to get the 16' V-nose since I would be losing some storage space that would be nice to have. If I was going to notice a significant difference in my city milage, then I may be more likely to go for the v-nose.

Anyone else have suggestions as to what trailer would be best for me?

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I keep saying this------- IT IS A 19' V-NOSE TRAILER --NOT A 16'

mowerbrad
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I understand that but the size of that trailer may be too long for what I am looking for. I do mostly residential so sometimes space can be tight. I was just saying that I have the option to buy a new 16' v-nose if I choose, but I don't want to go that route. I understand that your trailer is a 19' v-nose.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You will be glad you have the extra 3' of storage in the V-part to build shelves and use for storage, trust me. Its kind of an unwritten rule if you need a 10' trailer buy a 12' if you need a 14' buy a 16' and so on. It is amazing what you can find to fill the extra space and how fast. Just trying to help. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks

Andyinchville
01-28-2009, 01:44 AM
I have a 2009 7x16 enclosed trailer with "v" nose ....V is in addition to the 16', Ramp Gate, Delux lighting, twin 3500 lb axles with brakes on each axle, side door, 5 yr warranty and more for $3850 ...PM me if interested.

Andrew

mowerbrad
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I am leaning towards the haulmark transport. It seems to offer everything I am looking for and is the exact size I am looking for. What I really want to know now is how durable will this trailer be? And how long might it last me? I already plan on waxing the outside, and putting some type of sealer/protectant on the inside.

cantoo
01-31-2009, 06:35 PM
mowerbrad, I know it isn't the same trailer but I just bought a Pace Outback model 6x12 to haul my motorcycle. It's an 08 and was only used to haul school books and highway only. I was really surprised how much corrosion there was on the aluminum panels already The guy never cleaned it very often but there is several small cracks and a bunch of holes along the bottom edge. I only need the trailer for a 3 week trip to florida and will be selling it when I get back. I have all next year to find a good deal on an all aluminum one.
If I were you and considering keeping the trailer for a few years I would really look into the all aluminum one. Make sure the uprights and everything is all aluminum. From what I hear it's stell and aluminum together that cause the aluminum to corrode. Spend some time looking at some used ones that are a couple of years old so you will have an idea what yours will look like.

mowerbrad
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew that there would be some corrsion. Hopefully with waxing it a couple times each year and sealing everything more I will be able to avoid anything like that. I do plan to continue to explore my options since I won't be purchasing the trailer until probably this summer.

cantoo
01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
brad, it seems to corrode at the bottoms from the inside out. Looks to me like road salt weeps uo between the aluminum and the steel uprights. Waxing won't help there. I'm thinking of some better way of sealing the bottom.

mowerbrad
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
As soon as I have some time to head over to a dealer I will have to look at that issue into more depth. If I do find areas that look like they could let road salt or water in, I will definately seal those. But until I see the trailer that I am looking at in person I won't have a good idea if that will be a problem with it or not.