PDA

View Full Version : St. Augustine Help

Sym
01-25-2009, 02:06 PM
We had a little freeze here in central florida last week. One of my customers has some struggling (had fungus issues) St. Augustine and this past freeze really browned the crap out of it.

I don't do the fert and squirt stuff...not knowledgeable enough nor licensed in Florida (and it is a pain in the butt to get for a solo)

anyway, he Emailed me and asked what I would recommend to kick start it. It's going to be warm again for a bit. Suggestions?

thanx

Ric
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
SYM

Truth of the matter is there is nothing you can do because the ground temperature has dropped below growth level. Time and spring warmth will have to take place first. Then a fast release nitrogen fertilizer will kick start the St Augustine and it will come back. Varieties of Bitter Blue St Augustine turf seem to be more cold tolerant than other varieties.

Sym
01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
thanx....I'll let him no he has to wait..... :(

quiet
01-25-2009, 07:31 PM
May I add that using Ammonium sulfate rather than urea for your first round of quick release fertilizer may be beneficial in suppressing the fungus . . .

bug-guy
01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
check with the local jdl in W.C. and look at the 19-0-8 all chem w/iron.
also look at the temp of the gulf waters this mirrors the ground temps in the spring